Sponsored by:

The paint just aint tough enough

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 01:46 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Read a post a few weeks ago about MY01 paint being a bit on the thin side. I must admit I have to agree. Just come back from a trip to Newquay in my UK300 to find after washing the car that I had a couple of stone chips. These things happen I guess, what I didn't expect was a chip when I accidently hit the car with the front of the hose. We're talking a standard rubber hose here. I couldn't belive it I didn't even knock it hard. Looks like I'm going to be buying a big tub of touch up paint. Anyone else had similar problems?
Old 07 August 2001, 01:54 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I have a number of scratches on the my00, a few of which I know are from the hosepipe and also some swirl marks from washing/waxing despite being ultra careful. Not too bad for chips though, probably because I don't do many motorway miles. New car same paint I guess.
Old 07 August 2001, 02:09 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Agree guys, I wonder where my chips come from, but know if I hear it, it's bound to be a good one. At the same time I don't want to keep spending money getting the thing patched up.

Mark
Old 07 August 2001, 02:25 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yes the paint on my MY00 is like that too. You can't even breath on it let alone lean on it. It's such a nuisance. Fighting a loosing battle.

WREXY.
Old 07 August 2001, 03:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Angry

Soft paint is a very well known and documented issue with both the old and new Imprezas; dark blue mica seems to be the worst. My car is 18 months old and looks like it's had a nasty accident with a gritting lorry!

I submitted a warranty claim through my dealer last month and have had it flatly rejected ('stone chip damage... not a consideration for a warranty claim'). I'm currently in the process of taking it further and will post the eventual outcome. IMHO it's a defect, just as bad as if it flaked off (P1 spoilers, anyone?) or faded in sunshine. There was talk of a mass complaint to IM a while ago but I don't think it came to anything (yet!)

Andy.
Old 07 August 2001, 03:10 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Angry

Now you tell me, bought dark blue mica because I thought it would look nicest all polished up etc. Wondered why dispite being only a few month old and loads of TLC it was picking up loads of scrapes and chips. Even a good layer of polish dosent seem to help!
Old 07 August 2001, 03:49 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

The front end of my 98 sport was riddled with chips up until I sold her last week. Also found the under seal was reluctant to stay on the wheel arches. Had them re-done twice under warrenty.
Old 07 August 2001, 04:42 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Apart from the few stonechips that my silver MY00 has picked up, the windscreen seems to chip really easily. I have a bullethole-type chip which has been there for a while, and last week I heard a stone hit the screen at around 80mph and now have a nice 7mm split to show for it.

As it's directly ahead of me I assume it'll need a new windscreen when it comes to MOT time. Three guesses as to whether I go for an OE screen...
Old 07 August 2001, 04:58 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete_UK99:
<B>Read a post a few weeks ago about MY01 paint being a bit on the thin side. I must admit I have to agree. Just come back from a trip to Newquay in my UK300 to find after washing the car that I had a couple of stone chips. These things happen I guess, what I didn't expect was a chip when I accidently hit the car with the front of the hose. We're talking a standard rubber hose here. I couldn't belive it I didn't even knock it hard. Looks like I'm going to be buying a big tub of touch up paint. Anyone else had similar problems?[/quote]

i have read several reports concerning poor paint. After picking up my UK300 only 2 weeks ago, i've found a couple of chips on wing & bonnet. I have a friend with a Puma who has the same trouble. He was told its down to modern water based paint. This sucks.