Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed please...

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2000, 06:25 PM
sargenjg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally put my order for an Impreza Turbo in September of last year and I have been told by the very helpful Gertjan Van Der Velde in Holland, that my car will be ready for pick up in March. Just so everything is clear in my head I would like some advice from people who have imported recently - ok here goes.

1. I have ordered a 4 door saloon in silver, and as an extra I have asked for side protection strips to be fitted, although now I feel they would let the looks of the car down, BUT on the other hand I obviously don’t want a dent in my scoob!! Has anyone any comments on the side strips or piccies of what they look like on a silver scoob?

2. Having read the FAQ the debate of SUL vs UL is still a curiosity in my mind. When I pick the car up in Holland what will the octane rating of the fuel be? Is it worth just putting in UL for now and shortly after the initial 1000ml service start using SUL and get them to reset the ECU?

3. What exactly are the steps to take to transfer the warranty over to Subaru UK?

4. If anyone has used Gertjan Van Der Velde how far is his garage from Rotterdam port and is the drive easy?

Thanks for you help guys and girls. I am driving myself insane just wanting to get the car now and I can’t stop thinking about owning my first scooby!!!
Thanks people.

Jon
Old 21 January 2000, 06:33 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Jon
I imported but not through Holland - indeed my episode was a bit of a drama.

However, put the side strips on - it's worth it - it doesn't impair the look of the car in fact they have Impreza printed on them, my first car was white and it actually looked quite nice. It's worth it compared to an expensive touch up job in case someone bashed into the door in a car park.

Changing the Warranty - now I'm not sure about that but would say it is doubtful you can switch to Subaru UK - being it's an import (unless someone else knows different) you may have to buy a three 3 warranty - that's easy enough - there are places which also give you Green Flag cover as well - I can't remember who ours is with.

I wouldn't pay for a warranty offered by your dealer in Holland - check this out first if this is the case. Just get the thing insured before you bring it in .

About the other stuff - sorry - now if you asked me about shopping capacity I would be able to help with that....

[This message has been edited by Penni Whitehead (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 21 January 2000, 07:30 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Jon,

In reply to your queries:

1. Eeeek! I would say don't do it. Just park at the far end of car parks. Obviously a matter of taste though, and my answer might have been different if I had been unlucky enough to suffer any scrapes.

2. Only ever noticed a marginal difference when I tried super for a period. This was when it was 98 octane rather than the current 97. I would say that your money can be better spent elsewhere, Basildon springs to mind. 11 days and still grinning.

3. You can register your Dutch warranty with SUK ("bites tongue"). Just phone their main number and they will put you through to the right person who will ask you to fax a copy of your invoice and the first page of your service book. I think that I know his name but I won't say in case my memory is faulty. I've spoken to too many people in West Brom. They should then perform all warranty work free of charge in accordance with EU law. Although you will still have to obtain approval from your supplying dealer. Maybe SUK are now able to do this for you.

4. No idea on the distance, but Dutch roads are fairly easy to navigate and the locals drive in a similar manner to the English.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Old 21 January 2000, 09:44 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Distance from Gertjan to the Hook -- I'm told it's about 40 minutes. However, if you work on the basis that you can drive faster than the ferry can go then you do what I did and go from Gertjan's to Calais. It's about 180 miles (nice run in your new Scoob) and I think I did it in just over two hours. However, if you use an Autoroute Europe map to get you there, make sure you get one for the way back (if you forget, Gertjan's got a copy of Autoroute Express) because reversing the directions will only get you lost and you'll end up driving through Bergen op Zoom.

Going Calais-Dover has the obvious advantage that your precious cargo is only banging about in the hold for 35-50 mins (hovercraft/seacat) as opposed to 4.5 hours if you go from the Hook-Harwich, which is a consideration if it's choppy. Or you could go via the tunnel and avoid the weather altogether.

If it's your first time driving on the right (it was mine) then you'll find it's a piece of cake, particularly on dual carriageways. The only place you'll forget is if you stop driving and then start off again with no-one else around. I came out of Gertjan's garage on the wrong side of the road, until somebody in a Pug helpfully hooted and flashed for me to get out of his way.

PS: Gertjan's favourite scoob colour is silver...

PPS: If you get a picture of the side protection strips on a silver MY00 can you send me a copy? I'm still undecided. Bear in mind they're different to the ones you get in the UK.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 22 January 2000, 03:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Just a small query, can anyone tell me whether the part no for the side protection stips is: SACC1196 in the accesories catalogue, and also is the fitting of them a diy job or should I get the dealer to fit them prior to delivery.
thanks in anticipation.
Old 09 February 2000, 12:00 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a pic of my DBM with side strips. Get a dealer to fit them.
Old 09 February 2000, 12:57 AM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick
Can you e-mail me that picture please.
Ta
Old 09 February 2000, 01:02 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Penni - if you right click on the picture you should be able to copy it straight off the page.