Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running costs of WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 04:26 PM
Scooberman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have probably all discussed this many times before but I would appreciate some help.

What are the service intervals for WRX?

How much is a normal service?

Do they shred tyres (is this only if you drive like a fool?)

Do all tyres need replacing together?

How long does exhaust last? Cost of new ones?

Etc etc etc etc................

These may all seem like real Mickey Mouse questions but I really know sweet FA and would be most grateful for info.
Old 12 September 2002, 05:11 PM
Scooberman
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for info, it is the UK WRX Wagon I am interested in.

I assume the warranty is on the car not the owner so if I buy a car say a year old the warranty will still be valid?
Old 12 September 2002, 05:13 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

If it's a UK WRX, then service intervals are 10k or 12months, whichever the sooner. 3 levels of service
10k, small service, 20k intermediate service, 30k main service.
costs are similar to 7.5k, 15k, 30k on older models.
Tyres are to last as long as the driver is to refrain from traffic light burn off's, so how long is a piece of string these days?
Old 09 December 2002, 04:59 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX import. I assume you are talking about the imported version, not the new shape UK model.

I believe the service intervals are quoted as 10000km whereas the UK car is 7500 miles. My car gets serviced at 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first, with an oil and filter change half way between intervals.

Servicing costs vary a lot depending on the interval. I think Graham Goode's site has details of what's included in each service and how much it will cost.

I think tyre wear is dependant on a number of factors including tracking setup, driving style, tyres fitted, type of roads etc. so you will get varied answers. My car has been set up with Prodrive settings and I have found that the front tyres have worn about half way and the backs not much at all. I do a 20 mile each way trip to work and back, mostly on the motorway. I think the tyres have covered about 10000 miles or so, maybe a bit more.

Not sure about replacing the tyres together. Mine were all fitted new at the same time. I guess if you fit the same make/size/rating then you could change either just the front or just the back as required.

If the car has a standard exhaust then it will last until you decide to change it for a better one. If you don't change it and it has to be replaced at some point then you will have no problem getting another one off someone on here, there are always exhausts going so check the for sale section for a guide to prices.

As for fuel consumption, I usually get 25mpg but I'm sure this can be dramatically reduced with aggressive driving so I'd take this to be a max, you might get a bit more on a long run but not much. I reckon each one will be different even on the same run due to mods, gearing changes between models etc.

Things you are most most likely to have to replace while you have the car are brake parts, tyres, and possibly the clutch. These are the high wear items which will at some point wear out - you may have to replace other things that are not part of normal servicing as well, read some of the posts on here and you will find out what seems to go most on the various model years.

Of course if you are talking about the new UK WRX then these will be covered by warranty so not a problem.

Hope this helps

Ken

Edit - I don't know what the service interval is for a UK WRX.

[Edited by Ken E - 9/12/2002 5:02:31 PM]