Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX vs RS + the hot hatch factor

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 01:31 PM
Mark Asylum
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a reply to Elodi (guy from Israel) but the thread was busted. He asked who won in the car mag grp tests...

Read all the reports (car mag nut since kiddie).

They pretty much all agree with eachother. The RS pips the focus because it is more of an event. This will probably wear off due to potential clientelle (remember the XR3). IMHO car magazines never factor in what it is like to live with a car. I mean 90% of driving is not fun (esp in Israel). The RS sounds like a bit of a bully and a handfull on the slippy stuff. The WRX tends to roll with it a bit more.

The real news was in EVO. They put the Cleo Cup and the Mini Cooper S above both the RS and the WRX. Now this may be seen as a bit of a cheap shot but it has some justification. Both buzz boxes are available for 30% less cash but offer almost as much perforance. There is no longer a real performance gap between hot hatches and the WRX. Now you could argue for ages about Subaru 4x4 and superior engineering (boxer fans stand up) but showrooms are about touchy feely interiors and clunky panels. I rode in a £6K skoda fabia the other day with a better interior than a £20K WRX.

Subaru needs to raise its game if it is to retain its cult status. Leon Cupras are not as glam but they are easy to live with and pretty much as fast in real world driving.

Best

Old 12 September 2002, 01:41 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree Subaru should improve the Impreza (always a good thing),
I also feel (and its kinda sad) that the GT with the better performance, lighter body and conventional styling would have fared better, esp. in "evo".
I understand that the new Impreza (out on October) will gain a new interior and a better face (there were talks about STI dampers and 6-speed gearbox..)
So maybe this time round the Impreza will have the edge.