Sponsored by:

Sti at motorpoint.co.uk

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 10:21 PM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone kmow how the spec of the "European" Sti as sold by motorpoint.co.uk differs from the Type UK ? They don't seem to.
Old 11 September 2002, 10:50 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No Trackstar, no locking wheel nuts, no extra rustproofing, no co-operation from I.M.
Old 11 September 2002, 11:33 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
imported from Malta/Cyprus ?? therefore no Pan european guarantee/service backup ?????

alan
Old 11 September 2002, 11:39 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered an STI7 from Motorpoint and they stated it came with a 3 year 60.000 mile warranty. I tend not to trust the word of a car dealer so I checked with IM. Because the car will be a Dutch import it's covered by the Euro warranty!!!
They have a silver STI7 in stock at Burnley, but I wanted the WR blue (original eh!) so I've got to wait until the next delivery in October!!
Mac.
Old 12 September 2002, 12:33 AM
ChrisB

Ask them to confirm in writing it's a Dutch car.

A previous thread revealed how Motorpoint have verbally stated it's an EU car but then when pushed said it was Cyprus.
Old 12 September 2002, 01:09 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

definitely get motorpoint in writing that the car is from holland and is covered for 3 years.
Old 12 September 2002, 08:26 AM
steviep1
Scooby Regular

I bought a Euro. "STI 7 type UK" - says exactley that on the registration documents.
Came with 3 years GARAGE/DEALER garantee.

The would be very hard pushed to find any difference bewtween it and any other non Euro import STI7.

I was lucky as the garage had mine fitted with Trackstar already.

Servicing is done with Roger Clarke Motor Sports, who im very impressed with already.

There are a few down sides to buying from Motorpoint, but the money saved has got to be worth it in my opinion.

Old 12 September 2002, 09:54 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Be Carefull,

I was the guy that put down a 1K deposit, when the salesman told me it was from Germany.

I did physically check the car, and it was correct UK spec, but after getting the VIN number I discovered it was originally a cypriot car.

Now you have to be carefull here, as Motorpoint did actually buy the car from a German dealer, who previously bought from the Cyprus dealer.

I would emplore you to get the Chassis number and give it to your local dealer. He can contact IM, and see if the waranty is valid.

When I did this, they told me that the waranty was invalid, and IM regarded this car as a Grey import (Very bad news).

I then had problems getting the "non refundable" £1K back, and ended up having a big argument with the salesman, and eventually wrote a letter complaining about traiding standards, and mis-representation of goods. That rattled them, and I got a full refund and a letter of apology.

Two months later, I noticed that had about 10 more comming in, so I telephoned, and spoke to a telesales guy. He also confirmed to me that all 10 were sourced from cyprus.!!

Also thinking about it, the argument I had with the saleman, he was willing to guarantee me that the waranty would be OK. Just goes to show he really did not know, but just wanted my money !!
Old 12 September 2002, 06:10 PM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

OK, I'm new to the Scooby scene, so there are a few things here I'm not entirely sure about. I've seen various power outputs quoted for Japanese Sti, mainly 275 bhp official and 320 unoffical at 6400 rpm. The type UK is speccified as 265 bhp. Is this down to fuel grade ? Can the ECU on an import self-adapt effectively to use "low grade" 98 or 95 RON when its geared towards 100 RON Jap fuel ? Are the Motorpoint STis Jap or Type UK power output ? Where's my beer gone ?
Old 12 September 2002, 06:21 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

The Type UK is 265PS - which I think is about 260bhp.

There's better experts than me on here but I think the difference with regard to the Jap spec is more than just RON - probably ECU, exhaust, etc. The upcoming PPP for the STi Type UK will probably go a big way to addressing the difference. The Motorpoint cars will have the same output as the Euro (and hence Type UK) cars.

Ian
Old 12 September 2002, 06:36 PM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

OK, ta. Got most of that except the "PPP" thingy. Ah yes, and the "IM" thingy before. I need a crash course in Scooby Acronyms I think.
Old 12 September 2002, 06:44 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

PPP - Prodrive Performance Pack - Been available on WRX for a while - looks like it's FINALLY coming out for the STi7 - see my post on here - "Info on PPP graph" - new exhaust, ECU mapping, etc increases torque and power. As it comes from Prodrive - keeps warranty in tact - this may not be an issue if you're buying a non EU car and you can maybe shop around for an independent upgrade - eg Litchfield imports - http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/

IM - International Motors - the UK distributor for Subaru.

Ian
Old 12 September 2002, 06:54 PM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Ian. One last question (for now). I don't know what STi7 means. Is this a body shape type, or a generic name for all the various flavours of STi ??
Old 12 September 2002, 07:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
STi means Subaru Techinca international, the 7 denontes that there have been 7 versions of said car.
Fuel wise, the UK car is suppose to be run on 97+ ron fuel, a jap import is suppose to be run on 100ron fuel (but as you can imagine thats not available over here so.....)
JDM (jap domestic market) cars will loose more value than a euro spec car, even though the euro spec car may be down on power to start with (emissions laws) it will hold its value and the warranty provided by Subaru UK for UK sourced cars is probably one of the best you will ever see!
The STi 7 is an excellent car and is better in standard form than the KL version of the JDM STi7, the GL version is fitted with the suretrac diffs which make a difference (same as the uk/euro spec cars).

Tony

PS check out www.sidc.co.uk for more info
Old 12 September 2002, 08:15 PM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps. Feel a lot more confident to haggle with my local dealer now. Can throw Motorpoint at him and sneer when he inevitably retorts with "Oh, those ones won't work over here"....
Old 12 September 2002, 10:19 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Angry

I too have put a 1k deposit down at Motorpoint, but only if the car is a Dutch import. If it turns out its not, the salesman WILL regret it !!!! I explained this to him when I took out the order so he's under no illusions what he's in for. Just to give them a fighting chance I'll get the chassis number off them in the morning and check it with I.M . You never know I might be pleasantly suprised, but knowing my luck I'll be getting arrested at Motorpoint tommorow. lol.
Old 13 September 2002, 07:17 AM
Volemangler
Scooby Regular

How come you decided to buy now and not wait for the new models at the beginning of next year ? I haven't decided what to do yet, Do I buy the gorgeous blue Type UK at my local dealer and watch it become obsolete in 3 or 4 months time or curb my enthusiasm and hang on until 2003 ?
Old 13 September 2002, 08:25 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

At the moment I have a Honda Integra Type R with 2 doors and a new baby boy , so 4 doors would be more practical. I've been looking at Lancer Evo 6's but finding a tidy one was getting me down ( they dont seem to wear well). The Mitsubishi dealer's seemed to be describing someone elses car because the the ones I went to view were nothing like the description! So I got fed up and tried an STI7 and loved it . The only problem was the local dealer told me that no new STI's were availible and refused to look for one within the UK network. He just wanted me to buy his abused demonstrator with 5000 miles on it for full retail. I spotted Motorpoint on the web popped down and placed an order.
I Rang them today ref this thread . They returned my call within 15 mins and told me they had confimed my car was a Dutch supplied car and came with a full UK warranty. They offered to put it in writing ( obviously I accepted) and explained as soon as they get the VIN number they would forward it to me to check it out with I.M . If for any reason the car didn't have the advertised warranty they would refund my money. If within 14 days of delivery I wasn't happy with the car they will refund my money in full and they also offered to refund my deposit today if I still wasn't happy. Now thats what I call customer service. I'm now a happy man once again.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Mac
Old 13 September 2002, 08:36 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem with EVOs it seems to get a good one you have to buy new and I dont like the 7s. Much easier to find a good scoob and better priced. Even the MLR boys will agree as some of them took months (and years in some cases) to find one.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:48 AM
AR911
Scooby Newbie

Popped into Motorpoint on Saturday as I just happened to be passing.

Asked them where the cars really come from. Sales guy didn't say where but certainly didn't deny it was Cyprus. Did say that you only get 12month warrenty and so it's clearly not an EU import.

20999 + alarm + tracker + extra 2 yr warrenty comes out at about £23k.

Interesting to see what happens to prices now that the MY03 is 3 days from launch.
Old 09 December 2002, 08:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I would deffo get it in writing, had a few probs with Motorpoint before and would only trust them if i had it in writing, can you get the chassis/VIN number and check with IM yourself?

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/12/2002 8:14:28 AM]