Sponsored by:

WRX clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 08:28 PM
huggy2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
my clutch on a my94 wrx has just started slipping when you nail it in first gear,its fine at all other times,does any one know of any localish garages i could use?i live in west sussex
and roughly how much it would cost,is it possible to do myself ive done several on front wheel drive cars ok,any help would be appreciated
Gaz.......
Old 12 September 2002, 08:38 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

If it needs a flywheel as well, which after that period of time, it may well have numerous heat cracks all over it, you could well be looking at around 600.00 for the parts alone. I dont know if to suggest doing it yourself on the drive or not. Sometimes the gearbox bellhousing dowel pins sieze between the bell housing and the back of the engine, so unless you are careful,you may end up cracking the castings, so beware, I'd get some quotes first before making a decision
Old 12 September 2002, 09:14 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it a normality for the flywheels to crack in performance cars?

Or is it just a Scooby thing?

Or is it possible it won't be cracked?

I am waiting for my clutch to go as my car (MY96 UK) has done 106,000miles on original clutch (as far as I can tell from service history).

I suppose it will last longer once changed if you replace the flywheel too.. can the flywheel be reconditioned?

Would a secondhand flywheel be an option?

Sorry for the 20 questions

JGM

Old 12 September 2002, 09:47 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

I had the clutch on my WRX MY96 done by Falkland Performance. It had lasted nearly 90k miles and was beginning to slip in 4th and 5th under hard acceleration.

Anyway they replace the flywheel with a reconditioned unit(taken from the last scooby they worked on). They said 9 times out of 10 the flywheel needs replacing with a re-machined one. If you don't change it you'll end up with judder. They also do the release bearing. All in it came to around £400, so don't get ripped off.
Old 12 September 2002, 09:51 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Big part of that 400 must be labour so begs the question where can you take a flywheels to be machined and how much would that cost.

Thinking about it my father-in-law has access to a lathe it is just a case of skimming it?

JGM
Old 12 September 2002, 09:52 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

MAFFA has just had his done and he lives in your area.

Try tracking him down on the board, I know he certainly paid a lot lest than Subaru and some other places would have wanted.

He is a lot happier now the car has some acceleration again. He is not as happy as the people that had to follow him wondering if they had burnt their clutches... the smell from his car was THAT bad!
Old 12 September 2002, 02:14 PM
huggy2002
Scooby Regular

where are Falkland Performance based as that seems very reasonable
would pref some where local to me but it looks like i will have to travel...........
Old 12 September 2002, 05:26 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Huggy,

I have had to replace my clutch 95STI twice, the first time with a ' standard ' one, which lasted about 20K.
The second was an AP item, much nicer, very little judder, still going strong, err 15k later
Never had any issue with flywheel....
Regards,
andyp
Old 12 September 2002, 05:46 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Get the flywheel machined flat ( surface grinding is best ) and all should be well. Shouldnt cost any mre than getting a head skimmed, so guess at around £40.
Cracking occurs due to the heat, and unless its really bad, shouldnt cause problems, and will probably clean up when re-surfaced. Its not just a subaru thing, look at brake discs, they crack all the time due to the heat.
Old 12 September 2002, 06:32 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Find Mark 'markus' Warren he used GDA or GDS in sussex for all his work 7 has recently had his clutch replaced.

Old 12 September 2002, 06:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Did someone call me?

barge is correct.

I use GDA Sports cars in Fordcobe, East Sussex (01892 740006 - speak to Graham or Nathan).

My clutch and flywheel were totally shot. Got a new one put in. Clutch was a helix, ie; uprated, and flywheel was normal wrx one, lightened by 2.6kgs.

if you want any more info, email me at markus@markuswarren.co.uk