Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IE Refresh Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2000, 10:34 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know the reason that my explorer does not always refresh the topic and display the latest additions to the topic.

Any help is greatfully welcome

Dan
Old 07 February 2000, 10:55 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

EEEERRR Microsoft?
Try looking at the topic
If Microsoft built subarus
Old 07 February 2000, 10:57 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MS explorer is pretty crap. Not altogether v. helpful, but fact in any case!

Better to use Netscape as your main browser but keep Explorer available for hardwired links to MS office apps e.g. online clip-art.

Suresh
Old 07 February 2000, 11:26 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Mine does.... are you using IE5?
Old 07 February 2000, 11:40 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Using Netscape... works OK most of the time, but seems to get confused with the chat room... problem with it's JVM or the way the chat software was written.

Just for a laugh.... I'll try... lynx. As expected, it works just fine, but of course no pretty pics, but then it does run circles round all graphical broswers as a result!

Anyway, try to avoid M$ software if you want something to work...

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 07 February 2000, 11:56 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
danny
if i come in from my favourites directory to 'general questions' i get the same effect. if i come in from "scoobynet.co.uk". i get a refreshed page etc. dont know the explaination tho'. try it!
albob
Old 08 February 2000, 12:33 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spot on John!

Paul
ps what about MIE 40bit encryption? good eh?
Old 08 February 2000, 12:43 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

NT and UNIX Hmmm.
This may be an urban myth but...
I heard that some guys at the Labs here hacked in to the NT support network and found it to be running on UNIX.

Oh and Subaru make nice cars (just to keep it all on topic sort of)
Old 08 February 2000, 01:59 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Red face

Now I'm not one to stand up in support of Microsoft very often, but in the case of Internet Explorer 5 and to a lesser degree IE4 I think they have made a damn fine product.

With regard to the problem you are experiencing try checking out the Tools - Internet Options - General Tab - Temporary Internet Files - Settings option and ensure you have check for new versions of stored pages set to automatic.

As regards to the above comments about Netscape - don't make me laugh. I run under NT4 and Netscape crashes or goes into the 'I'm not going to activate any links you click mode' often enough to p**s me off.

My mate always tells me it's because I'm using NT , but when I went over to see him the other day exactly the same thing happened under Windows 95 - no links activated.

For the anoraks amongst you this problem is caused by Netscape having a rogue process running in the background which needs killing from Task Manager before it will behave properly again. This is why simply shutting Netscape down and starting it back up never cures it.

As for Navigator's woeful implementation of stylesheets and all of it's Javascript bugs well that's another story. I believe it's about to go open source - good job - someone might be able to fix the crock of s**t.

Regards,

Tiggers (running IE5 and proud of it).
Old 08 February 2000, 10:15 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i have identical settings at work and home on IE5, the work refreshes OK, the Home doesnt.

I have resorted to netscape at home for the BBS as i cant get IE5 to work properly.

and yes, i do have it set to refresh automatically.

P.S. Microsoft a stable product, give me a break, If i ran my mission critical databases on NT rather than UNIX i'd never be away from work with sorting out system crashes etc. Even Microsoft say it is a factor of 10 times less autominous than unix, thats a difference between being down for 10 hours a year to 10 days a year.

You try running a 24/7 warehouse with that downtime, no thankyou.
Old 08 February 2000, 01:35 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Where in this post does anyone talk about MS being stable.

All I said was that in my experience I find one of their products more stable than it's main rival.

I admit that for 'mission critical' databases UNIX is probably marginally better than NT due to it's tunability and robustness (if set up properly) and let's face it it'll keep the open toed sandal and brown shirt companies in business for a while as well.

Just for information we run two fairly large Oracle databases on NT both of which are key to our business hence I suppose they are 'mission critical'. Oh Yes and we haven't had a crash in well over two years -maybe actually tuning the databases and monitoring them makes a difference.

I'm not on a pro Microsoft campaign, but working in the IT industry I do get fed up with everyone slagging them off all the time. It's ironic to think that some of the anti-Microsoft comments on here have probably been submitted via MSIE from a PC running some derivative of MS Windows. If you're going to be detrimental about them then you should really practice what you preach or are you all running Netscape on Linux/Mac already?

Regards,

Tiggers

P.S. My Scooby looks nice and clean today as I washed it this morning (keeping on topic).
Old 08 February 2000, 02:48 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

The most likley reason is that your browser is set at use a cached version of the page when you open the site.

To pick the correct option choose the VIEW menu, and pick INTERNET OPTIONS.
The click the SETTING button on the TEMPOARY INTERNET FILES Section.
Finally under CHECK FOR NEWER VERSION OF THE PAGE Click EVERY TIME YOU VISIT THE PAGE or EVERY TIME YOU START EXPLORER

Note: This may slow down browsing of less dynamic sites as it has to download the page each time.

This is nothing to do with who wrote the browser and Linux is for bearded sandal wearing IT elitists.
Old 08 February 2000, 02:54 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Both my desktop & laptop run IE5. The topic list always updates itself, but I have to manually refresh the individual topics. Actually, I find it quite useful, I can enter a topic, go to the last post I read, refresh the page and IE5 keeps me at the same point, so I'm at the next new addition to the topic.

There is little point in criticising MS from a technological standpoint as that has never been their main objective. MS wins because their products are easier to use and look better, not because they necessarily are better. That said, I think Netscape sucks, we have a lot of problems with it, but IE is quite stable. It looks nicer too, IMHO.

I wouldn't advocate running NT for mission critical 24/7 servers any more than I would advocate Unix on the desktop. The average punter objects to recompiling his kernel just because he's bought a new soundcard...

If the average customer cared about the technology more than ease-of-user, presentation & marketing, Betamax would have killed JVC. That's why so many technology-driven companies fail, because they don't understand their market.

Oh, erm, something Scooby, I know, isn't brake dust a pain to remove.
Old 08 February 2000, 02:59 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Does IE5 have a print preview function? If so I can't find it. Perhaps an IE fan can tell me where it is!
Nice to be able to avoid printing unwanted bumph when paying for own paper & toner.

The IE Vs Netscape wars continue . . .

Suresh

P.S. I am a big fan of NT, which I used to use every day - extremely satable compared to 95 or 98 which I am stuck with here at Cranfield.

[This message has been edited by Suresh (edited 08-02-2000).]
Old 08 February 2000, 06:11 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK I'm running Netscape now and trying to submit this post from it if it stays up without crashing for long eno
Old 08 February 2000, 07:48 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I'm no IT Guru but I'm running IE5 in Win98 and life is rosy!

Mick
Old 08 February 2000, 07:54 PM
ChrisB

The refresh problem can depend on your ISP. I have Mutual.Net as my main number on Home Highway / BT Together or whatever it's called this week. I'm running IE5.01 on NT 4 WS.

Last night for instance, if I posted a reply to a topic it wouldn't show up even with lots of manual page refreshes. Changing to CompuServe showed the new replies straight away. Tonight everything seems to be working fine. I know this isn't a Scoobynet problem as I often see this when I've uploaded new web pages and when looking at the site to check them for errors the old version is still there.

Some ISPs run caching servers to try and save money on upstream bandwidth, but it seems the cache can return old information.

Suresh,

IE 5.5 (currently available as Preview Platform aka Beta) will have Print Preview. I was about to recommend HP Web Print Smart (http://www.hp.com/pond/wps/index.html) but just checking the link shows HP have withdrawn it. Web Print Smart allowed you to print a web page properly formated for A4. Web Print Smart was free and I still have the install files. Alternatively, there are some possible ones here :
Old 08 February 2000, 08:38 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

seeing as we are on this topic, can anyone tell me how to un-install ie5?? why? it came preinstalled on my new computer with windows 98 second edition, and i have convinced myself that it is slower than my old comp with ie4. (there is no un-install routine loaded). thanks in advance. alan

p.s. just ordered a 5 door, sonic blue from holland!!!
Old 08 February 2000, 08:55 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay, thanks for all the ideas i'll try them one by one.

Dan
Old 09 February 2000, 10:13 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I'd use the whole disk. You'd have to install using Win98 First Edition, cos IE5 is built into SE.
Old 09 February 2000, 12:11 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Fastest and most effective way to uninstall IE5. Hmm, ever heard of FDISK...
Old 09 February 2000, 12:27 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Beef - lurking and destroying data?????
Old 09 February 2000, 12:32 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Wink

beef,
how BIG should i make the partion