Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dented wing - replace or fill?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get the wing replaced, filling doesnt make it as strong as the original part as the metal has already been put under stress, and for the difference of buying a new wing.....

Tony
Old 31 July 2001, 11:50 AM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night I came out of the gym to find that someone had hit the front of my MY98, denting the wing and scraping a load of paint off the front bumper.

I have just got a quote of £150 to have the wing pulled out and filled where necessary and to have the paintwork done.

Back in the day I would have thought nothing of having a bit of filler and touch up work done to my capri/XR3 etc, but am a bit reluctant to do the same here. Is it worth me having the wing replaced and how difficult is this?
Does anywhere sell cheap panels?
Old 31 July 2001, 01:21 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Any idea where I can get a wing?

Is it worth getting a new one, or should I just go through the breakers?

Are the wings bolt on or welded as I'm concerned about the alignment of the panels.

Has anyone had bodywork carried out by a main dealer? Is it worth paying extra for?
Old 31 July 2001, 07:49 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dustin
You'll probably find that a main dealer will only take it to a bodyshop anyway, I don't think many dealers have their own nowadays.
My Car suffered rear wing damage last year, and I was more than happy to have a bit of plod in it, otherwise the whole rear quarter would have had to be changed, and I didn't want that.
Old 01 August 2001, 08:51 AM
Timo
Scooby Regular

Question

What colour is your car??

If you have a "local" repaiar done where the damage is the painter should if he is any good!! be able to blend the colour befofe he gets too close to the adjoining panel. If you replace the full wing then will definatly need to blend into the adjacent panels to make sure of a true colour match.This is more the case if you have a mettalic car but even with solid colours if it were mine it would have to be blended.
Then there is the match to the bonnet & door pillar. The bonnet may not be such a problem cos on a scoob the wing top aint flatso you dont have the flat surface of the bonnet and a wing together.
Have i lost u or are you following!

Main dealers bodyshops will give a good warrenty on their paintwork...poss 3 yeras so they are maybe your best bet. will it be possible to use p.d.r (paintless dent removal) on the wing if the paint aint damaged and just paint the bumper??

well something for u to think about

Tim (paint sprayer)
Old 01 August 2001, 11:02 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just a thought...

Can't you get dentmaster to remove the damage and then get the wing painted. Dentmaster charge about 80 quid. Since, if you fit a new wing, paint will be required it may be work getting DM to take a look first. I used them for a kink in my rear door (nasty) and you just cannot tell it was there. If it were me I would try to keep the wing if possible.
Just MHO
Old 01 August 2001, 05:06 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Question

So who are these dentmaster people and where do I find them?

If I can get the dent out without needing filler, then I only have to get the bumper sprayed. Then dent on the wing is very small, but the geezer in the cut&shut reckoned he wouldn't be able to get the dent out fully and would need some filler.