Sponsored by:

Subaru (lack of) build quality

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 03:11 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Having had my MY00 Impreza Turbo for 15 months from new I thought I would find out if other people have had the same build quality issues as me?

1) Sqeeking brake pedal : Fixed myself with WD40. = Annoying

2) Clicking clutch pedal when released: Sprayed with WD40, still comes and goes occasionally. = Annoying

3) Classic hesitation when cold on very light throttle. = Very Annoying/Feature

4) Clutch Judder from cold. = Warranty claim for new clutch

5) Various rattles and squeeks from interior = Annoying

6) Noisy drivers side electric window then sound of bits floating around inside the door. = Took the door trim off last night and found one of the four bolts that holds the electric window mechanism to the door had fallen out and the other three bolts were loose.

7) Poor range on alarm remote. = Warranty claim for new alarm (admittedly sigma's fault not Subaru's)

8) Stone chips on bonnet and front wing + general poor quality of DBM paint = Very Annoying

9) Noticed last night while filling with petrol, about 1 cm of paint under the spoiler on the drivers side is starting to flake off.

Number 9 and 6 are what prompted me to write this as I discovered both of them last night.

So how the hell did the Impreza come first in the JD power survey 2 years running?? Am I right in thinking that the later cars have poorer build quality than the earlier cars and that they can expect an even lower rating this year than last year (35 from memory?)
Old 31 July 2001, 03:29 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

My car is about 18 months old and has or has had pretty similar problems. I think that:

1 MY99 and 00 cars are not as well built as previous models

2 IM seem more reluctant to meet Warranty claims than previously

3 JD Power have changed their sampling techniques. Up until last year people wer just invited to comment and the first X nuber of replies were built into the survey. Last year they made more efforts to get a proper representative sample (rather than just the fans who previously responded)

4 The survey is about overall satifaction so includes dealer attitudes etc and so warranty niggles would not necessarily mean low score if they were fixed quickly to the satisfaction (delight?) of the customer.

JD (no relation!)
Old 31 July 2001, 03:55 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

I have definitely had the same problem with the paintwork.

My bonnet and front bumber are covered in large pits. Admittedly I drive over 100 miles a day on the motorway so am more vulnerable than most, but I never had anything like this with my previous car, a Saab 900.

As far as the other problems, the only one I can relate to is the squeaky interior.
Old 31 July 2001, 05:16 PM
burfy
Scooby Newbie

Had my P1 since Nov 2000.
So far it has been back to the dealer to have a new front lip and for them to try to fix the numerous rattles inside (dash, passenger door, rear passenger trim to name a few!). So far they have not sorted themproblems- it sounds as though someone has left a bag of spanners in the dash!!!
I have written to Subaru (UK) and to Prodrive to ask for their comments as I can not believe that a GBP 30 grand plus car is built so badly!!!!!!!
Seriously thinking about a trade in for a TVR...being "hand-built",if that rattles at least it has an excuse!!
Old 31 July 2001, 07:27 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ladies

so the things fall apart here and there and the paintwork sucks but don't it just make ya laff

All that performance, the big fuel bills, the massive insurance bills, tyres etc,etc

Life's too short, enjoy ya scoob, thousands would give an arm and a leg to have such a brilliant piece ov kit.

Alternativley, buy a Bee-Em

Dustbin Hoffman

Please don't have a go, it's only my take on the scoob ownership thing

MIKEY
Old 31 July 2001, 07:46 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my Sigma. Bl00dy nucience when its pi$$ing down!! Got my dealer to swap the alarm brain. Problem went away. From talking to a Sigma dealer, its possible to simply move the alarms ariel to another position.

Back door rattles when window is shut........but who cares, its a small price to pay!!
Old 31 July 2001, 11:06 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

last time i mentioned this i got a kicking.