Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Afraid of....only joking....Which Driving Course?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2000, 02:16 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All

I want to improve my driving skills cos they suck.
Ideally I want to go on a high performance driving course to teach me to be a better safer driver on the road & track.
Has anyone done a specific driving course (1-2 days) such as Paul Ripley's courses, which teach high performance driving techniques, how much did it cost & was it worthwhile.
I believe under the SIDC Membership you get skid pan training etc so maybe thats first.

Comments welcome.

Ro

[This message has been edited by RoShamBo (edited 08-02-2000).]
Old 08 February 2000, 03:00 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

If you are an SIDC member sent a nice note to Dick at the club address and say you would like a place on the next available training course, he will get back in touch with you regards dates etc, usually 2 Saturdays in a row, you get the forst Saturday with Dick and a colleague going through roadcraft(Police drivers Handbook) explaining do's and dont's etc, they do not Preach about speeding though. The second day is on the skid pan, which is immense fun and very educational too , once you have done this, you will want to do more and more to improve your driving, skid cars, driving courses, Don Palmers days at MIRA to name just a few options.
Old 08 February 2000, 04:12 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Ro

I'd like to challenge the idea (if I may) that high performance techniques will make a driver better on the domestic roads.

I think what you are talking about are 'Advanced' techniques?

Since safe road driving happens at relatively low speeds and with the car being driven car well within its limits how can 'high performance' techniques help?

I spent some time as an observer for one of the advanced motoring groups (though no longer a member). So wearing that kind of hat I'd say:

Roadcraft definitely the current publication is very good.

ROSPA or IAM possibly because understanding and applying Roadcraft takes longer than a day or two for most people and practice and feedback is important. The benefits of going to an organisation that coaches you toward a test include lots of feedback and time to assimilate an largely new way of driving. A test also gives you an idea of where you are in terms of skill.

Any road best of luck....
Jason