Sponsored by:

2 x 37 mph in a 30?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2001, 07:01 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My wife has been caught (GATSO) doing 37mph in a 30mph limit twice in the past 2 weeks, in my car! Would we be better (for future insurance purposes) taking 3 points each?
Old 27 July 2001, 08:23 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Err, no...

Any chance she'll learn the error of her ways then?

If she has to borrow or use your car, then get her to pay for the increase in premium.

After all...IT'S HER OWN BLOODY FAULT!
Old 27 July 2001, 08:32 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

I agree and she can currently be seen circulating Aylesbury at approx. 26.5 mph max speed! However I am worried that 6 points on her licence at insurance time will be a heavier load than each of us having 3 points. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 27 July 2001, 08:49 AM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> However I am worried that 6 points on her licence at insurance time will be a heavier load than each of us having 3 points. Does anyone know if this is true?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently picked up my 1st ever 3pts and phoned to declare. They said that they keep a record on file untill renewal and that 3ptd makes no noticeable difference whatsoever (£30 approx and that baring in mind Ive got a £17?? something annual anyway) as so many people these daysa have 3 that they dont consider it any sort of risk. I then asked what if you recieve a further they stated that you would see a rise probably closer the 3 figure mark they wouldnt give an exact indication outside of approx 70 - double money for double the pts? (dont know if this is a percentage reflection on existing quote!?) but onl;y those who have more than 6 do they penalise.

This was Privalege in April this year.

J
Old 27 July 2001, 09:06 AM
Jaggy Bunnet
Scooby Regular

I agree with Squizz. Should be a lesson learned. She didn't learn from the first offence, has she learned from the second? Bit of a liability to have if you're paying the premiums

JB
Old 27 July 2001, 09:15 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Everyone seems to be assuming that she realised that she had been got the first time when she got caught again. I assume that she didn't know and had a nasty suprise in the post before having a chance to moderate her driving.
Old 27 July 2001, 09:27 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Jerome you are right, she is still paranoid that she will get another one because she only slowed down after receiving the first notice. I think they must have reduced the tolerance in and around Aylesbury (10% + 2mph?)because she hasn't started driving any faster all of a sudden!

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2001, 10:11 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

Get her a smart car and have her pay her own insurance. then you get the scoob all to yourself!!!
Old 27 July 2001, 01:10 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chrisnobbs:
<B>Jerome you are right, she is still paranoid that she will get another one because she only slowed down after receiving the first notice. I think they must have reduced the tolerance in and around Aylesbury (10% + 2mph?)because she hasn't started driving any faster all of a sudden![/quote]

Are we to assume then, that they're local to you and that she's been blatantly flouting the limit so far, pushing the speed until all of a sudden she got clocked?
Old 27 July 2001, 01:31 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Well yes and no, one was local but not on a route she usually drives, the other wasn't. In her defence she is now 41 weeks pregnant (i.e. a week overdue), offences having been committed approx. 5 and 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't believe that is any excuse!

On the basis of JW390898's post I think we had better 'share' the points, anybody else got anything helpful to add?

Old 27 July 2001, 03:49 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chrisnobbs:
<B>Well yes and no, one was local but not on a route she usually drives, the other wasn't. In her defence she is now 41 weeks pregnant (i.e. a week overdue), offences having been committed approx. 5 and 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't believe that is any excuse!

On the basis of JW390898's post I think we had better 'share' the points, anybody else got anything helpful to add?

[/quote]

Chris - I must congratulate you on being so polite and conversational despite my probably adversarial tone.

Good luck with your speeding nipper!

And yes, 3pts each amounts to nothing on the premiums in my experience.
Old 27 July 2001, 04:32 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No probs. m8, always good to give the missus some stick when it comes to driving, she moans at me enough about it. Baby to be 'encouraged' to arrive on Monday night if nothing happens before then!!!
Old 27 July 2001, 04:34 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

Not a good idea to take points when someone else has been driving , called perverting the course of justice,if the Old bill find out you are deep in the smelly stuff. I knew of someone who took the wrap for a crash only to be found out later got three months , first ever offence
Old 27 July 2001, 04:43 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Chris

Some insurers are OK about 6 points, some aren't. Why not get a couple of quotes from them on the two different basis to compare?

If you are lucky, the GATSOs might not have cameras, and just have the flashers.

Duncan

PS Good luck to you and Caroline!
Old 27 July 2001, 04:52 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

'Bugeyed', do I know you? (I assume yes as you know my wife's name!!!)
Old 27 July 2001, 04:53 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris - I got 6 points in total.... 2 x 3pts a year apart and according to my insurance company (AXA) it doesnt make a blind bit of notice As long as they are only for SP prefix offences they dont care

At least your missus enjoys her driving - my ex used to plod along at 20mph wherever she went (including the A44 - Gods greatest driving road ) - the B1tch

Old 27 July 2001, 05:15 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Smile

i'm on 4 points and when re-insuring the P1 last week (thanks to Independent!) was told that loading kicks in at 6 points and above. feels like 3 each.

plead you're not sure who was driving for starters though and request the photos. if it's clearly the wife then the above feels high risk. if you can't tell who's in it tell the plod you're not sure as it could have been either of you on both occasions and you both use that road regularly. a friend of mine just had a conviction cancelled on that basis as they weren't sure who to prosecute.

good luck!
Gordo
Old 27 July 2001, 08:12 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I would agree with gordo, and add that female drivers are pretty much always considered a lower risk anyway regardless of points. A friend was getting quotes for his Mitsubishi Charisma, he has a clean license and 8 years no claims, she has 3 point and a recent BIG claim, his insurance was cheaper with both AXA and Tesco's if he had his wife on the policy!!!

The tesco policy was £395 - just him to drive and £320 when he added his wife and detailed her claims - nuts surely, but insurance is a black art!!

Jon
Old 27 July 2001, 09:39 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mr A

Check out my profile, I guess that you have no choice!

Best wishes

Duncan
Old 28 July 2001, 11:38 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I thought it was you!
Old 29 July 2001, 08:29 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Slightly diverting the subject, I guess this is some sort of proof that speed cameras do work...... ok you have to pick up 6 points first, but if your good lady has now moderated her speed.

Dave
Old 29 July 2001, 11:00 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes in a word, but then in her current disposition she can hardly fit behind the steering wheel!
Old 29 July 2001, 11:07 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Question

...anyway do a buy a Bel 550 or a Morpheous? I'd buy the Bel but is it really any good for GATSO?
Old 29 July 2001, 07:04 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Just a thought about insurence......

If she is the main driver (policy in her name) then 6 points will matter....

If she is a named driver (policy in your name) then is it better for her to have all the points??

If she is insured on another car then whoever drives the cheaper take the points.....

Just thinking.... guess I won't do that again

Where is Rum when you need him......
Old 29 July 2001, 07:47 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

I'd get the Bell 550, I've had one for some time and it gives plenty of warning.