Sponsored by:

Would You buy a Skoda Octavia???

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2001, 01:08 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was sitting on the toilet this morning absorbing Autocars 0 - 100 - 0 test, and they'd put the Subaru WRC up against the Skoda Octavia 1.8T. Ok the Scoob won by 4 or 5 seconds, but just say the Skoda got the VW 4*4 chasis and transmission, and a more powerful engine from the VAG stable with a competitive price.....

At the end of the day it was not so long ago that the Subaru had a reputation for being a farmers car, and with Skoda's good showing at the Safari rally well, I just wondered.... would anyone here be tempted by a Skoda???

Dave

(edited to put my name in)

[This message has been edited by Dave P (edited 23 July 2001).]
Old 23 July 2001, 01:15 PM
chuckdog
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah! But...
I've driven the Passat V6 4motion thing and it didn't feel anything like the 200ish bhp it's supposed to have
But I'd have the Skoda RS over the 1.8t golf GFI - just because it's cheaper and I like the inverse snobbery of the badge
Chuck
Old 23 July 2001, 01:17 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dave,

I don't want to know what you think about when you're on the toilet!!!

Seriously, if running Impreza got too much, I'd consider a Octavia RS, but I would also look at the Leon.

Cheers
Andy
Old 23 July 2001, 01:22 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

I would. I like the look of them - and the price. I also think the Skoda badge is a future design classic....

Face it - who would have bought a Subaru 15 years ago (apart from farmers, of course)?

Andrew
Old 23 July 2001, 01:23 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I got all the sales gumpf on the Octavia RS. Autocars figurse knock nearly 1.5 secs of the 0-60 sprint so not sure who to believe.

One thing though, it needs to be run on 98 octane petrol for it's optimum performance.

But 15k is a bit of a bargain in anyone's book.
Old 23 July 2001, 01:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the kin century.

Yep, if the Impreza was too expensive/impractical I think I may be making a call their way. Bit of a Q car, and who knows it may turn out to be the next cult car?

A neighbour has one in flame red, and it does look very good.
Old 23 July 2001, 01:55 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, would definetely consider one (with 18"s! ) for the next company mota'
Old 23 July 2001, 02:03 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

I remember reading somewhere that the Octavia WRC's 4WD has had some fettling by Prodrive.

... and with the result at the weekend.
Old 23 July 2001, 03:03 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Run a Felicia as a second car. Not a thing has gone wrong in three years, no rattles and the dealer is first class.

For £15k the Octavia RS is a steal and I would definetly consider buying one. Looks better and looks better value than the Leon. Makes the Golf look slow and overpriced.

Lee
Old 23 July 2001, 03:39 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not driven the RS but my old man bought a 1.8GLX a few months ago and it's a really nice drive, easily as good as any of the current middle-market saloons. It really is a VW Bora / A3 in different clothes.

Old 23 July 2001, 03:48 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A mate at work has one, and it's a lovely car for the money.

We'll test the acceleration shortly with a G-Tech to see if it can move as well.

/J
Old 23 July 2001, 05:00 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Actually went and did it. Three years and 50k miles with STi 4 then traded in at no cost (by the time you include insurance) for new Octavia 1.8 turbo L&K.

Full leather, climate control, cruise, multi CD etc. etc. and half the company car tax.

Octavia is very comfortable and not slow at all. (I'm told they can easily be chipped)

Upsides - Comfort, less attractive to undesirables of any kind, more money in my pocket, reliable. 'Rolling resistance' seems much less. Really, really annoys rep. man when accelerating.

Downsides - Less effective brakes, lots of body roll. It is no Impreza in the wet. Also other drivers are less likely to move out of your way when you want to overtake. (I think the bonnet scoop on the scooby does that)

Value for money is astonishing. Leon Cupra likewise. Leon Cupra R (210bhp) looks likely to be expensive and too single minded.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wilson (edited 23 July 2001).]
Old 23 July 2001, 06:56 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

yes m8, absolutely. lovely machine. but i need an estate so it's the forester for me.
Old 23 July 2001, 08:34 PM
DavidN
Scooby Newbie

Our other car is a SKODA Octavia 1.8 turbo estate, It great.

Driven the RS and it much better than the standard car, although fly by wire accelerator is different.

Skoda are going to put out a 4x4 saloon at some point in time. If you want a cheep 4x4 estate they do it with the 1.8 turbo engine.

Wife drives the Skoda.
Old 23 July 2001, 09:06 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I wouldn't be ashamed to own or drive one. Great car, love the badge (with a very very long history), would hope to forget it's on a VW chassis.
Old 23 July 2001, 09:37 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Red face

As has been mentioned, either Autocar were very lucky with the car that they used for a road test, or it had been seriously fettled by Skoda. They are even going as far now as to suggest that it had the 225hp engine rather than the 180hp one.
Old 24 July 2001, 12:05 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone seen any online articles on the Octavia RS?

Cheers

/J
Old 24 July 2001, 12:44 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

I got overtaken by a Ford Focus this morning. It looked good in Silver. Does anyone know the top speed of a Focus 1.4LD. (Also what does D stand for)
Old 24 July 2001, 08:00 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

In answer to the title:

HELL YES
Old 24 July 2001, 09:54 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ed the dead:
<B>In answer to the title:

HELL YES [/quote]

HELL NO - DONT CARE HOW GOOD IT IS ITS A BLEEDIN SCODA. IN TEN YEARS MAYBE - BUT SCODAS ARE STILL SAD. PERIOD.

PEOPLE WHO BUY THEM ARE SAD. PERIOD.

Jza
Old 24 July 2001, 10:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jza, are you just a wind-up merchant out to provoke a reaction? What with this and the LPG "informed debate" I'm starting to wonder

Remove those blinkers, sir, and you may find that it's actually a damn good car for the money.

Bog standard mondeo or one of these?
Old 24 July 2001, 10:20 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was sat discussing the RS's merits with my Father in law the other week. He is looking for a new car, and was mentioning second hand BMW's and Mercs (he wants an estate). I was extolling the virtues of the 4x4 Turbo Estate, gets excellent reviews, is well built and is a steal at the price.

I would also consider it... Perhaps there will be a Skodanet in the near future at this rate!!

Jim
Old 24 July 2001, 10:29 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

personally i used to rather enjoy the rear wheel drive engine in the boot version just the chap for humbling golf gti's and their ilk. huge laffs for pocket money.
richie
Old 24 July 2001, 01:07 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, I`d have an RS.

Spoke to Skoda during the launch, no plans for 4WD they said but ? Have driven the previous 2litre model, impressed - better than most of the repmobiles around. In fact this impression carries over to Seat also. Have run two ( Arosa / Ibiza ) over the past few years, a few niggles but excellent value and FUN ! - dealer is spot on too. Looking at a Leon diesel next.

As far as reports on the RS there used to be some info. on their web but have not looked recently.

Cheers

Old 24 July 2001, 01:21 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>Jza, are you just a wind-up merchant out to provoke a reaction? What with this and the LPG "informed debate" I'm starting to wonder

Remove those blinkers, sir, and you may find that it's actually a damn good car for the money.

Bog standard mondeo or one of these?[/quote]

Sorry Chiark. I believe this forum is about peoples opinions - and mine was made in a jovial manner. Sorry!!!

Im sorry if once again ive upset anyone for making light of things, on what is obviously an extremely important subject....... with immense bearings on the outcome of world peace, life the universe and everything

Once again i would like to remind you that however good a car it is ITS STILL PANTS - ITS A SKODA!!! Not enough years have passed to change that!! Like i said, ten years from now when the image is better, maybe but for now.......

Maybe someone could start a "LPG'ing a Scoda" thread

LOL

Jza
Old 24 July 2001, 03:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Disco mate, I found what you said funny, even if no-one else did...

Otherwise, I don't understand how people can say the Skoda is such great value at 15k when the Scoob is available at Euro-import for 17k? Suppose it depends what you're looking for (and if you pay company car tax).

BJH
Old 24 July 2001, 04:28 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Brendan Hughes:
<B>Disco mate, I found what you said funny, even if no-one else did...

Otherwise, I don't understand how people can say the Skoda is such great value at 15k when the Scoob is available at Euro-import for 17k? Suppose it depends what you're looking for (and if you pay company car tax).

BJH[/quote]

Brendan my friend, you are not comparing like for like - A Scooby import at 17K (or less) and a UK Skoda at 15K.

How much for an import Skoda?

I would have a Skoda same as I 'would' have numerous cars, I just choose not to because I prefer something else, right now that is a Scooby - As for tomorrow, who knows?

Old 24 July 2001, 04:33 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Skoda should do a Datsun (i.e. who changed their name and became Nissan).

Would anyone have bought a Datsun Skyline GT-R??? The name still doesnt cut it in the work car park im afraid. Nice car though!!

Jza
Old 24 July 2001, 04:40 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B> Sorry Chiark. I believe this forum is about peoples opinions - and mine was made in a jovial manner. Sorry!!![/quote]

...as was mine - hence the smilies. It does seem that you like to dive in there which is great, it provokes debate . Trolling is fun, too

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
Im sorry if once again ive upset anyone for making light of things, on what is obviously an extremely important subject....... with immense bearings on the outcome of world peace, life the universe and everything
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll sleep better at nights after that

Once again i would like to remind you that however good a car it is ITS STILL PANTS - ITS A SKODA!!! Not enough years have passed to change that!! Like i said, ten years from now when the image is better, maybe but for now.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, try one - you will be shocked. Brother in law had a fabia (yes, it sounds like labia) and it was actually a good cheap car. (shock). The new RS doofer is VW running gear and quality for bargain basement pricing.

This is the same company that is embarassing Subaru in rallies occasionally?

Maybe someone could start a "LPG'ing a Scoda" thread
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, wonder who might do that?
(Could be fun fishing... )
Old 24 July 2001, 09:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mr Jza,

You say

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you would pass on a highly rated family and performance car or the class leading supermini and European car of the year purely because the Skoda name has,in your opinion, a poor image.

Suspect this says more about you than Skoda.

Lee

Quick Reply: Would You buy a Skoda Octavia???