Sponsored by:

quention wilson prgramme - comments please

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2001, 08:37 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought i would try to keep this to one thread :-

my observations were it seemed mainly 4x4's a few skylines (possible the same one?) and one evo seen.

Interesting to hear how the nsx owner bought the title for his car, how he do that and who was the midlands company that did it for him ?

Still think there was a lot of scare mongering there, am sure some other agency is driving all this anti import stuff (que x-files music).

The figures were all very different as well between bimta (they arent going to really say otherwise though are they??) and the programme.

The prgramme also mentioned you can cross reference your car with a database of stolen vehicles from japan.
Is there a way you can do this without stitching yourself up i wonder?

I wonder how many people will call the hotline number knowing that there car will be taken away if it was stolen....
not many i reckon, i wasnt exactly reaching for the phone!

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 25 July 2001).]
Old 25 July 2001, 08:43 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Thinking that myself as the dealer I bought mine of is being persued by customs for Vat evasion has been 5 months since they came round so it should be ok but I really want to find out. To ring or not, that is the question?
Old 25 July 2001, 08:52 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Funny you say that, I was warned by other car trader friends that the dealer i purchased from was into VAT fiddling, so as a precaution he told me to ask for a copy of a form......vxx
cant remember its name now, but its basically the receipt of the VAT paid when imported, in case they were devaluing the car and ripping off the vat man.
That way if the vat man came i could show him a copy of the receipt as i was warned that any shortfall in VAT the owner of the vehicle could be liable for if the dealer was untraceable.
Old 25 July 2001, 08:58 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

There was a blue scooby on there with the bonnet up

David
Old 25 July 2001, 09:04 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Seems to me that if you stick to a nice reputable importer then you should have no problems.

However if you truely think that you can pick up a nice shiny skyline for stupidly low money then you get what you ask for IMHO. You don't buy rolexes from the bloke on the beach when holidaying for £2 and expect them to be real.

Why oh why are people so stupid when it comes to buying a car???????????????????

How many times do you have to say CHECK THE VIN PLATE FOR 'MODIFICATIONS' it aint rocket science its blatantly bloody obvious things aren't right the grinding marks usually give it away .

rant over
Old 25 July 2001, 09:17 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

mmmmm So I am a bit worried now to watch out for the cops, they will be pulling most if not all of us, thats uk as well.

If I had a import and I managed to find out it was dodge and I was going to loose my investment I would break and sell bits to the UK owners.

I know it's not funny, but hey I would be interested in buying parts for my uk car...engine...gearbox etc...I thing we are all bound to see a lot of this activity soon...watch this space.

TC
Old 25 July 2001, 10:38 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This is why i decided not to import a car from Japan. That and the fact that I couldn't be arsed hunting around for parts or service.

I bought a brand new UK MY01, Ok I might have paid more for less ( So i keep hearing). But no copper can come and tell me that the car ain't mine.

I know what it feels like to happen though. it happened to me with a Cavalier GSi.

So if it happens to any of you guys... you have my sympathy.
Old 25 July 2001, 11:01 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

My mum brought an MGF as a Jap import £2500 cheaper + air con the car was supposed to be 18 months old. When the log book arrived it stated it was 3 years old (so it needed an MOT immediately). The most worrying thing was the chassis number was right but all the docs said the car was RED and the car we had was British racing green!!!
The more we looked at the docs the stranger things became.

The car had come from Japan to Ireland then to Northern Ireland then to the UK. It took 6 months to get the docs.

When we mentioned trading standards to the dealer (a huge dealer by the way on west coast) we got a full refund and the car was collected!!!

We still have copies of all the docs

The dealer bragged about selling 30 cars a week!!

InsBro
Old 26 July 2001, 08:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There was a scooby as well. Start of the program, right where the skyline dude got pulled, they cut to a bloke with shoulder length hair, with bonnet up, unmistakeable scooby vents in bonnet (post 97 type) sonic blue. Is this guy on the BBS?

Also, when copper was checking chaisis number there was a shot of an engine bay, which again was the scooby, can tell this from the intercooler and other scooby bits, def not skyline, next shot switched back to the skyline's engine.

Oh, and I'm sure that when they showed the chap in ireland there was a scene of a 4x4 going down some road and i'm sure the camera car was a scooby, a red one, as there were bonnet vents on it as well.

I do have it on video so I can double check this.