Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REF> LEFT HAND DRIVE CARS, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2002, 08:57 PM
imprezza99uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Has anybody ever converted a LHD Impreza to a right hand drive!
2 Is it possible!
3 What sort of cost would be involved if it could be done and would affect the cars handling or performance!

I have viewed and test drove an immaculate "x" reg 2000AWD, the car is absolutely perfect for what i want and is priced great for an "x" plate. The lad bought the car brand new from spain whilst he was working there and had a decent xtras package fitted. He came back to the uk and brought the car back with him and has registered the car to the law in the UK. If i could get the car for the right price and if the cost is not rediculous to convert it then i would have a great RHD car! also would the log book be affected and what powers that be would need to know that i have converted the car! I know all the obvious about a new dash and steering rack and assembly would have to be altered but don`t know much about the engineering involved. Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanx!
Old 30 August 2002, 10:21 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why convert it??

Either pay the price for a RHD car or accept that you have a cheap reliable performance car that is LHD.......BUT......also accept it will be harder to sell and you wont get near the value of an equivelent UK model.

I suppose come sale time you could sell it in France.........if that is possible?
Old 30 August 2002, 11:49 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

The time and amout of work would make it a real difficult.

You have to change a lot of stuff.

From obvious to not so obvious.

Dash, steering rack the list would just go on and on and it would'nt be a case of just bolt right hand stuff in, consider that the hole in the bulkhead that steering wheel shaft goes through, it wont be on the right, you then gota chop it about, most brackets would have to be changed, holes drlled.

Unless you can get it for £5k I would'nt bother. And if you can then I'd just keep it left hand drive.

You would have real probs selling it on aswell, it's a case of there's really no need to do it when you can just buy right hand drive versions.