Sponsored by:

Warranty for European import

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2001, 09:01 PM
simonharper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The Scooby that I imported from the Netherlands is now close to a year old and I am considering an extended warranty for two years.

I know that quite a few other people got their cars at the same time as me so there are probably others facing the same dilemma if they did not purchase a warranty at the time.

What experiences do others have of buying extended warranties - are they worthless when it comes to making a claim? Has anyone managed to get a Subaru dealer to provide an extended warranty, perhaps through their used car scheme?

Any help would be much appreciated?

Simon

Old 21 July 2001, 12:11 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Neil, looks like I'll give them a go, at that price it has to hard to beat. btw , do you use frizzell for your insurance, I have found them to be really good

regards
glen
Old 21 July 2001, 08:40 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon

I faced the same dilemma in April.

I enquired with my local Subaru dealer, although they have been very helpful so far they couldn't extend my warranty for me because the car wasn't imported by IM. I contacted the Warranty company myself that Subaru UK use for new cars, but they wouldn't extend my cover either.

I then phoned IM and was advised to contact the Dutch importer in Aalsmeer for cover but decided not to follow up.

The only option left was companies like Motor Warranty Direct. I phoned several receiving quotes of about £500 for 2 years cover. I wasn't going to bother but being in the Civil Service I spoke to someone in the Motor Association (CSMA)and got a quote of £157 for 1 year, which includes the clutch. I decided to go for this.

As you say, if I need to make a claim it may prove more hassle than its worth but for that price decided it was worth the gamble.

Interesting that you mention the used car scheme. I didn't think of that and my dealer certainly didn't mention it. Definately worth suggesting it and seeing what they say.

Neil.

Old 21 July 2001, 11:00 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Question

Neil
who did you speak to at CSMA, as a member I would be interested. I am in a differant dilemma. My car was bought from belgium so has a 2nd and 3rd year warranty from the belgian importer but I don't know how watertight this would be in the event of a claim.

glen
Old 21 July 2001, 11:54 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Glen

I phoned the CSMA Warranty dept on 0870 7527021. I went for the Car Care Plan with the option pack that covers Air Con, Electrics and Clutch components.

Also see
Old 21 July 2001, 05:35 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
for those who are not members of CSMA have a look at the car care plan web site at
Old 21 July 2001, 08:59 PM
simonharper
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else out there had any experiences of aftermarket warranties?

Simon
Old 22 July 2001, 01:06 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the mail Simon.

Glen: I am insured with NFU this year. I can't remember what Frizzell quoted last renewal but I have used them in the past.

Neil.
Old 22 July 2001, 10:00 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Chaps I don't want to hijack your thread but how has your experience of buying/owning/service a euro import been.

I've been thinking about changing mine and I'm trying to justify going to holland for one.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts you have.

Jason
Old 22 July 2001, 11:06 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jason
I bought my 2000MY turbo from Belgium and would do it again. I paid just over £15000 for the car about 8 months ago, I have had two services (1000 mile and 6 monthly) performed by my local dealer with out problems. I have only covered 6000 odd miles so I have had no problems with the car warranty wise. The belgian cars do have a 2nd and 3rd year warranty supplied by the Belgian Importer but I don't know how easy it would be to claim. I wrote to my supplying dealer in belgium regarding servicing costs and a price for a new turbo, metallic paint, bucket seats , he wrote back giving the price as 843,331 bef (just over £15000 inc uk vat), this was for a 01MY but he doesn't expect price/spec to change that much for 2002. I don't believe that there are any real pitfalls apart from the warranty situation, the car is the same as supplied to the uk market apart from the alarm system (which is fitted by IM after import, anyway). After 3 years the car's resale should mirror that of a uk supplied car due to the fact that the original warranty has expired and the cars are exact same thing. If you need any more help feel free to contact me off line - address in profile, I can give you contact details etc

cheers m8

glen
Old 22 July 2001, 11:38 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

No regrets here either. I imported mine from Holland last year. The importing process went smoothly, the dealers over there have done it so many times they know exactly what is required.

Luckily I haven't had to have any Warranty work done but I understand from a friend that had the dreaded Clutch Judder that the faulty parts are first sent to the dealer/importer in the country of purchase before Warranty work can be authorised and only then can your local dealer do the work under Warranty. In his case he had the work done, paid for it, and then got the money back a couple of weeks later.

Apart from the slight hassle for Warranty work if needed there have been no other problems.

The ImportingImpreza group is worth joining.
Old 22 July 2001, 09:01 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
jason,
same as neil. did a lot of research (importingimprezas list etc). bought from Frits Kempen. no problems, the better known dealers have a 'lot' of experience of uk buyers (mine even came with the clock set to uk time !!)
chrs alan
Old 23 July 2001, 03:03 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps
Glen thanks for the offer, I may well drop you a line when I've decided to change.

Given the huge saving it'd be rude not to import one.

Thanks again
Jason