Sponsored by:

Help needed pls: Importing motors??

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2001, 08:33 AM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondering if any of you can tell me of any decent places to look on importing a car from Europe??

I haven't been on here for a wee while, so ain't in touch anymore, but I remember last time I was around a lot of posts were about bringing over various kinds of Scoobs + Evos.
Does anyone know of any numbers or websites for places that would deal with such things?

One more thing I recall was quite a contentious point: the servicing of grey imports. Is this still a problem?, and basically down to dealer-discretion?

Thanks a lot
greg

[This message has been edited by Greggers (edited 16 July 2001).]
Old 16 July 2001, 09:20 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about servicing at UK dealers, they are required to provide service to EU sourced cars.

Jap imported cars aren't serviced by UK Subaru dealers, but Mitsubishi dealers have seen teh light and will take money from anyone!

Jon
Old 16 July 2001, 09:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Greggers, you've hit on an important point. Cars designed for use in the EU have a "certificate of conformity" and will be serviced by any dealer. Importing one of these is known as a parallel import.

Something without a CoC will be required to go through the new SVA - this is a grey import as you're importing a car not designed to be used in the EU.

importingimprezas at yahoogroups is worth a look - I run that list. It was originally founded as 12 people were wanting to buy an Impreza from Holland in June 1999, and we're now up to around 300 members.

For where to use, try Iain at Litchfield Imports (he takes a banner ad on this BBS), Keyring cars, or speak directly to a garage such as Autobedrijf van der Velde who supplied my car (and were brilliant) on +31 186 661556. (Gertjan is the owner and speaks good English - the garage is near Rotterdam in Holland).
Old 16 July 2001, 05:04 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

The importingimpreza group is more than worth a look, it was invaluable when I imported mine last year.

I used Autobedrijf Jos Enthoven in Brielle and received excellent service. At the time I saved an extra £1000 by importing myself rather than using an agent, and was no hassle. I think these days the agent route might be worth considering.

Another consideration is to buy from Belgium. I understand that you get a three year warranty, not sure what you pay for it though.

Join importingimprezas and start asking questions, I did and I haven't looked back since.

Nick - I wondered why you didn't post on Scoobynet - but now we know your username

Old 16 July 2001, 05:48 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Greg,

Have a look @
Old 19 July 2001, 11:12 AM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot fellas