Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would you choose? skyline or scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2001, 06:20 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

you have a choice, no cash/ extra money involved

nissan skyline r33 gtr vspec. the suspension is sorted, clutch etc etc is top grade, its pushing out 400bhp, with MUCH more possible

or

sti 5, all mods done

different cars i know, but which would you choose?
Old 15 July 2001, 06:33 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Wink

Spud,

Depends on wot u r using it 4.
We had a run today and at the halfway break I had a gas with 1 of the lads who has both
to quote him he said "I`m glad I never brought the Skyline, coz i`d have been in a ditch by now" of couse our run had more corners than straights (jus wot the scoob eats 4 breakfast) Might of been a different case if there were more straights?
Hope this is of use 2 ya.

Pete
Old 15 July 2001, 06:41 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Smile

tecknopete
car would be used for blasting on short journeys down motorways, track days, modding
no real back road a-b stuff.

[This message has been edited by spudgun (edited 15 July 2001).]
Old 15 July 2001, 07:26 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Turn it in Spudgun you only just got the STI 5.
I have had a sit in a few Skylines and being an old fart I could not live with them, all that bending down to get in would kill me.
Old 15 July 2001, 07:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would take the STi 5 all mods done (by JUN in Japan )

chrisp
Old 15 July 2001, 07:36 PM
Steve Earl
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mad mad mad mad mad........you only just got the STI 5.
Old 15 July 2001, 07:48 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ok , the reason i asked the question is as follows....

my girlfriend has an r33 gtr. she just cant get on with it, she hates it. i drove it for the first time the other day. maybe it was the twin dump valves, the roar or whatever, but i have to admit i was a little smitten.
she has set her heart set on a blue evo6 at a local dealer. however, they dont want the r33, they will only take the sti.
she doesnt want the aggro of selling privately.
truth is i love my bird ( ahhhh.. ) and at the end of the day a cars a car i suppose ( i know, but i'm feeling bad here )
she REALLY wants this car. the r33 is getting her down, whereas i love it.
the sti is fab, i cannot fault it. sometimes i hate life
she's been offered 3k off the evo, with the sti bought for what i paid for it ( plus i can take the ICE out )

i hope god forgives me for this mess

chins, you may get the fiver, and i'll be known as the biggest idiot in britain

i want to crawl into a hole
Old 16 July 2001, 09:13 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well there are loads of evo's for sale, so the answer is find another one being sold by a more accomodating dealer.

Having never driven a skyline I can't really comment on which is best, but I would imagine it comes down to size and how much you go round corners

Jon
Old 16 July 2001, 09:26 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Money no object - gotta be the skyline. As long as your going to spend on it to get it up to 650 bhp - which i believe the engine can take easily and is the point at which things begin to get quick!!

The cars a monster!!!

I love scoobies but a modded skyline is for me!!

Jza
Old 16 July 2001, 09:29 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had both a STI-5 TypeR and a modded R33-GTR (zorst,suspension,wheels,brakes,induction,ecu,boos t etc) and to tell you the truth...

If money was not a problem i would take the Skyline everytime - it's a completely different experience to the Scoob (and don't believe anyone who says they cant go round corners - the can be 4wd when they need to be!). However - having just paid 3k for insurance then stuffing it into the back of my mates car, money became an issue and i sold it! Now i'm getting another Scoob...

Dave
Old 16 July 2001, 03:39 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Spudgun,

If you can afford to spend some hard earned on the R33, you'll take it into a league Scoobies find difficult to enter.

However, if the cost of parts, fuel or insurance worries you - pass m8 - it is even worse in general than the Rex. Someone will have had a different experience, I guess...

Enjoy - eitherway!! Cheers
Old 16 July 2001, 03:48 PM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Put an FAO out for Archie, he had a R33 v-spec and later changed over to a P1 because of the cost I believe.
Old 16 July 2001, 03:54 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Isn't the EVO a little too similar to the Scoob?

I'd sell the Scoob.......
Old 16 July 2001, 05:31 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I didn't like the skyline I drove, but only becuase it had little oomph below about 4k revs which meant it was a pain to drive (55mph overtake needed second) compared to the scoob. From 4k-6k it was fast, above 6k all hell broke loose

If you could sort that and didn't need to worry about the size of the boot and the rear seat access (ie have no kids!) then i'd go for it.

great fun to drive, definitely faster that my RB5WR if the revs were got right and the tricks with the power meant that I could hold a tail out slide on the test drive - with a worried salesman sat next to me

as a track day car, it would take some beating...
Old 16 July 2001, 06:57 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Spudgun,

Given that situation, I would ditch the STI 5, as long as you and the G/F can share the Evo 7 and Skyline. One thing to consider is that tuning skylines is even more expensive than tuning subarus.

Moray
Old 16 July 2001, 07:54 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers guys!
i still feel bad about all this . money isnt an object ( i aint bragging ok? ) the car already has major mods, and is due to have turbo extensions,steel turbo's, boost upgrade and new injectors soon( whatever all that means ).
will have it resprayed pearlescent blue/cream colour, with blue leather interior.
this is my plan

the evo6 IS very similar to sti 5. my girlfriend has put up with my car changing for a long time bless her, and she's waited quite a while for the right evo. she doesnt want to loose out on it.
i will always have fond thoughts of scoobys, and this bbs is the best, with some genuinely smashing people, who have given great advice and made me laugh and frown

i think i'll just lurk for a while. i owe my girlfriend a big favour, and it aint costing me anything. i will miss the sti, but i've not had it long enough to get too attached.
i WOULD miss the skyline if it went. i hated it at first. but since the mods have been done, and the vspec suspension changed, its a different beast. it feels like your driving godzilla, hissing, spitting, popping and snarling. the dump valves lift ladies skirts at 50 yards

am i forgiven if i do this? i hope so
i'll be lurking around, and chins, you have my email address
Old 16 July 2001, 08:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Spud,good luck.You should have best of both worlds with Sky and an Evo6.By the way why doe'snt your girlfriend like the Sky?
Old 16 July 2001, 09:34 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

hi deep
she just doesnt like it. its a bit of a handfull ( like me ha ha! )
i think she got it coz she knew it was gonna be my ultimate car one day, she's more competetive than me . its all happened too soon i spose, but at least i aint took a caning, and although very sad about it, maybe it'll work out ok.
i'm trying to think of the longterm perhaps.
i will keep coming on this bbs, i do most evenings, but i wont post as often.
if anyone wants to see how things are going with the mega mods, just giz a shout, i'll see it in general questions forum.

Old 16 July 2001, 09:49 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Dealer has his head screwed on, not touching the Skyline. The price on these drops quicker than a *****’s knickers.
Hard luck Spudgun and well-done Jonathan when do you get the fiver.
What ever you drive be it BMW, STI or Skyline if you enjoy it, thats all that counts. Good luck with it mate.
Old 17 July 2001, 07:13 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I need to thank Bob for pointing out the true intent of this thread.

Spudgun

You are something.

For all your harping on about the STI V and how good it is. Why dont you just swap cars with your Girlfriend ? Does she like your STI ? If not why not ?

I suspect that if she doesnt like your car, then the EVO will not be her cup of tea either - unless its all down to looks.

Or there is the other possibility here, you have doubts about the STI and this is a good excuss to move it on

Keep me posted

Jonathan

with a UK300 still on the drive !
Old 17 July 2001, 01:11 PM
Pete H
Scooby Regular

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob:
"Dealer has his head screwed on, not touching the Skyline. The price on these drops quicker than a *****’s knickers. "

Not at all like an Impreza, then

Old 17 July 2001, 01:54 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Smile

The trouble with the skylines is the massive running cost put buyers off, as this is not too much of a problem for you (doing lowish miles) it is something to bear in mind if you need to swap your car in future. Chins does have the ideal solution, but if she wants an evo and money is really no object keep the sccoby as well as the skyline!!!!!

Jon
Old 17 July 2001, 02:34 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

All I can add is, you lucky blighter, if only i had that choice. I am getting there slowly but surely, and by the time im 70 should be able to afford that choice.

Me and the missus are very jealous. Only difference she would want to keep the Skyline .

Old 17 July 2001, 03:06 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Mate
Sell the STI, I'm not biased honest I have R34 Skyline with circa 450BHP and a scoob. I agree the GTR costs ****loads to keep on the road but if money is no issue...
As for some dweebish comments about not going round bends.....how many F1 cars have got 4 wheel drive u morons. RWD is far more neutral than AWD or FWD and the great thing about the skyline is if u loose traction on a slippy back road at the rear, bingo! AWD kicks in. p.s. if any gives me the old lardy car bit please ask Simon e slim about latral grip. The car has enourmous grip, a blindingly **** ride, and is a complete hoot in the wet...powerslide city. But then u already know this having driven one with big power.
I love my scoob for it's alround versatility and practcality, but then thats kind of not wot a GTR is all about is it..
Enjoy wot ever u keep
Steve