Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone tried to nick the cossie today...

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2001, 11:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Be on the look out for two ******* with an italian accent in the surrey area. had a run in with them and they tried to nick the Cossie.
Well thats what I think they were trying to do. I'll tell you the whole sordid tale.
I was taking a friend for a spin in the cossie about midday in the Virgina Water area in Surrey. We had Just got to The train ststion and we had to turn around. So I gave it full lock and a bit of boot and as it was wet the back end lit up and she turned on a sixpence. It wasnt intentional but it was not unpleasent. However, upon seeing the security cameras I decided it was a good idea to make a sharpish exit. As I was leaving the aforementioned landrover Defender started to exit the carpark and turn onto the road It was my right of way and I went for it, but he gave it loads of horn and started following me. I pulled into a side road and he and I stopped. I got out first and said sorry for cutting him up. (this is where it gets interesting) He said in an Italian accent "drivers licence please" So i replied "can I see some ID please" and his reply was "Drivers licence please" So I replied "I havent got it on me" Then his friend got out and at which point I got V scared and got back in the cossie and shot round the back of the shops where my friend worked for some backup.
The landy came in shortly afterward and the driver got out again but the passenger stayed put. The guy asked if the car was mine and I said it was. He then asked for my licence again and I said I didnt have it. He then said " I dont work for the motoring division but I can get you in a lot of trouble" and I replied fair enough and then he started to walk away and I offered him my hand and apologised again and said no hard feelings and he took my hand and shook it. Then he went and I didnt see him again. Unfortunatly I didnt get the landy's reg, but it all sounded and looked very fishy and thats why I went round to the back of the shops where there were more people milling about.
Can anyone tell me if there are any set procedures for coppers pulling someone in plain clothes and not showing ID? If not just be bloody careful in the surrey area and dont dick around near any Green Defenders. My personal opinion is that he saw the nice car being naughty and wanted to try it on.
astraboy.
P.S. Please dont flame me for donutting in the station forecourt, it werent intentional.
Old 15 July 2001, 09:41 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Astraboy.

I live in the area your talking about. It sounds very suss, and I would definately consider talking to Surrey Police in that area, I think the nearest Police station is Aylesbury or perhaps Egham. Its near the wentworth estate, and there is of course the local royal estates that are looked after by the royality protection side of Surrey Police, you will find that some people who live on the wentworth estate are well connected and have some sort of protection from an agency, be it Police or *other*.

If they asked to see your driving licence without showing some ID, then actually they could be done for impersonating a Police officer, but given that what you did was in a station car park-the restrictions on you commiting an offence is tight, its strictly a private car park-and the Police have no powers unless British Rail made a complaint...if it was an accicdent, then fair enough...if you were playing silly buggers then tut tut only like 6000 odd members on here once or twice in their scoob ownership days, so lads....no flaming eh!

If they are anyone important, then you would of been visited already by someone (a traffic officer or a flat foot) but that said-they may of been looking to get your address to nick the car, mince it up etc etc...the list is endless.

It may also be worth pointing out that a couple of years ago, in Virgina Water High Sreet (not what you would expect as a high street) a chap and a lady were car jacked outside a chinese restaurant and had their BMW M3 stolen off them-likelyhood of it being linked is 0% however i would report it, just in case somethink does come back on you. The procedure for a Police Officer off Duty would not normally consitute them pulling you like that, normally it takes a phone call...bear in mind you could be a dodgy crim and armed, they: *off duty* would be lacking in pepper spray, asp and a radio,and body armour. Police officers carry their warrant card all the time, its a requirement and all officers would have to show it in an incident like this.

Hope this helps, its waffle..mostly.

Ron
Old 15 July 2001, 07:15 PM
cloudy
Scooby Regular

Actually, what heppened is that you acted like a complete t**t, cut some bloke up and sh*t yourself when he folowed you and had a go.
He never said he was a copper, he just asked you for your licence. Not an offence. He said he wasn't in the force but knew people who were and could get you done.
From what you said there was nothing in it like "attempting to nick the cossie". He just tried to bluff you into thinking he had some authority.
Just like that tos**r who drives the 22b (the one with the number plate that says sexy - which would have been funny in the fourth form) and drives like he owns the road, you get all agitated when someone you cut up has a go back.
Maybe you'll learn from this not to drive like a c**t. I'd like to buy that Italian bloke a pint......
Old 15 July 2001, 08:14 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers hut, cheers ron. I will have a word with a mate in the force to see what he says before I go to the Egham branch though... Just to be on the safe side
astraboy.
P.S. Cloudy, You said you would like to buy the bloke who threatened me a pint. Well just to show there is no hard feelings I would like to buy you a drink as well.
chocolate, strawberry of vanilla flavour milkshake? Which do you prefer? Child.
Old 15 July 2001, 10:06 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cloudy, proper harsh.

I'm not sure whats wound you up here, but Astraboy has admitted he did something a bit naughty-fair play IMHO for admitting thats why he might of been pissed off (the Italian that is) So i think Astraboy did the right thing after the event, don't tell me you have never acted up and upset someone...if you have'nt I would like to come to your monastry and by you a pint of Kaliber. I think offering his hand for a handshake was more than he should of done, and had the Italian lads chose to do this to one of my mate and I the reaction would of been somewhat different Why else would astraboy post this? I think given the situation it would concern anyone.

Its a long way down off them high horses, use your stirrups.

Ronnie
Old 15 July 2001, 11:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Ron, cheers for the backup m8.
Personally, I'd like to see Cloudy's real username. Looks a bit like a "flame" userid to me.
astraboy.
Old 15 July 2001, 11:27 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Angry

Very brave of you to have to a go with a nice new shiny username Cloudy

Old 16 July 2001, 12:13 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Astraboy,

You are a bad lad you know what the people are like around that area, toffs or nutters....looks like someone just wanted some words with you to me.

Be careful that nobody reports you for what you did though especially as there could be video footage.

Oh, one last thing - how do you accidentally spin
Old 16 July 2001, 12:37 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Believe me, it werent on purpose. It was about six months since I had taken the beast out in the wet and it had been quite a while since it had rained at all, so the roads were quite greasy. during that drive I broke traction 3 times. Once pulling out of a t junction, once going round a roundabout and the spin in the station. It werent at 6 grand or anything, I just put full lock on and went to go round and start a three point turn. She snapped V. hard and I by the time I lifted off I was facing the other way. The smooth, low traffic volume tarmac didnt help either.
Anyone who has driven a chipped 3-door will know how tail happy they can be.
astraboy.
Old 16 July 2001, 12:49 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

Just one question, why did you stop? Unless they were flashing blue lights in your mirror, I would have just ignored them, whether it was my fault or not. No reason to put yourself in unnecessary risk just become someone beeped you.
Old 16 July 2001, 08:35 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Even when off-duty, an officer is supposed to carry their warrant card.

(I think).

You played it very calm, astraboy. Best way.
Old 16 July 2001, 08:54 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Police must carry their warrant card AT ALL times.

Mossman

(I think!)
Old 16 July 2001, 09:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

To me, after re-reading again, it sounds a bit harmless like someone was just out to **** you up. Many kudos points for sorting it out in a rational way with the hand-shake - worked brilliantly.

I'd be tempted to think nothing more of it. Some people see a performance car and fairly young-ish guy as red rag to a bull and don't need much of an excuse to snap and have a go.

Cloudy: thanks for your reasoned debate . If you're a regular with something to say, at least have the ***** to do it openly. If Astraboy can offer an apology and a handshake despite not doing anything wrong, why have a go?
Old 16 July 2001, 10:10 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Ref - Astraboy - seems like you handled it the best way - unlikely anything more than a couple of lads winding you up, but you never know. I wouldnt stop for anybody nowadays.

Ref - Cloudy - another idiot not brave enough to use real name.
Old 16 July 2001, 10:41 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

To me, the guy could have easily been either a potential thief or a concerned citizen. People can demand to see your licence, but I wouldn't show mine to anyone other than a uniformed Police Officer or plain clothed officer with a warrant card. If the guy was a thief, he could easily have noted your address and turned up at a later date to nick your car. Either way, he seemed satisfied with your apology which is still inconclusive as to his intentions. If he were a concerned citizen, he may have just accepted your apology and decided to take it no further. Conversly, if a thief, he wouldn't have wanted to cause too much trouble in case he was reported.

To be on the safe side, I'd report it to the local nick. If he is genuine, he'll have nothing to worry about because he did nothing wrong. If he is a thief, then if enough people report this behaviour, hopefully the Police will find an officer they can spare from tax collecting for an hour or so to investigate.

Cloudy,

As the others said, if you have an axe to grind, it would be more honourable to do it openly. Having a dig at a 22b driver leads me to suspect who you really are anyway. Everyone does silly things in their car occasionly, so cut atraboy a bit of slack and save the invective for those who actually deserve it.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 16 July 2001).]
Old 16 July 2001, 01:00 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I had turned down a dead end side road by accident. I wanted some room to do something should I need to, so I stopped at the top of the side street to give me the maximum room to move. When his friend got out I got straight into the car and shot to the back of the shops where there was more people....
I would have caned it if I could. Surely someone chasing you is due duress isnt it?
astraboy.
Old 16 July 2001, 01:08 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Nicley Handled,

I would think he was out to nick it, I think he was just acting like he wanted to give you some hassle.

He probleby has a very imporatnt job dealing with the "fiscal revenue collection from vehicle storage solutions" i.e he empties the change from the car park machines.

Cloudy. If yor have a wife/girlfirend and she happens to cut someone up on a round-a-bout (not as bad as Astraboys looning, admittedly) and they decide to follow her and ask her for her licence etc etc. Will you feel the same way and buy them a pint?
Old 16 July 2001, 01:30 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Station car parks are private property so the police won't be able to take any direct action.

A mate of mine had a not disimilar thing a few years ago. They didn't show him ID so when he got home he called the police and they confirmed they were who they said they were.

Dave
Old 16 July 2001, 02:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Didnt astra boy say it was his right of way?

If thats the case, then his apologising is just to dissolve the situation when apart from being a little boystrous on the road, he hadn't actually done anything wrong!
Old 16 July 2001, 02:36 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Ron

You make some good points def. should be talking to Surrey Police.

You are wrong about Police powers and the Car Park. Policing Railway property is largely done by the British Transport Police. However many of these premises are also public places, including car parks. All Police will therefore be able to deal with motoring (and other) offences commited in those places.

Best Regards

Jason

p.s. Am I the only one wondering where StuartH went?

Old 16 July 2001, 02:45 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

"Cloudy",

Would you mind if the BBS administration let everyone know the id you normally post under?

Moray
Old 16 July 2001, 02:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

StuartH,

hhhhmmmmmmmmmm, was he ever a real policeman?
Old 16 July 2001, 02:49 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>Didnt astra boy say it was his right of way?[/quote]
heh, I was waiting for someone to notice this.
The only reason I rolled over the way I did was because there was two of them and one of me. If any of you see me at the upcoming barbeque then you will realise that I am not built for fighting in the least. Let alone in two against one situations. If he had been on his own then I would have argued the toss. He werent so I rolled over to avoid a kicking.
astraboy.
Old 16 July 2001, 02:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MorayMackenzie:
<B>"Cloudy",

Would you mind if the BBS administration let everyone know the id you normally post under?

Moray[/quote]

I wouldn't mind knowing, thats for sure....
C'mon moray, spill the beans! Mail me offline if you dont want to do it on here.
astraboy.
Old 17 July 2001, 09:17 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

C'mon Moray, Let us know....
We all want to know.....
Give you a fiver....
astraboy.