Sponsored by:

Would you know what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2001, 12:42 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pleased everyones OK
Mellow, count me in for a return to the lakes, even with Michelle.
Old 16 July 2001, 02:14 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Red face

Because I haven't done any first aid for 3-4 years and couldn't remember any of it. Luckily, it wasn't a factor, and the Police arrived very quickly, followed shortly by the Ambulance and Fire Brigade.
My point? Well in the morning, I'm giving both of these a call and getting some training ASAP.
Red Cross
Old 16 July 2001, 07:44 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Martin,
I think the incident points out that no matter what the vehicle certain roads can be quite unassuming, especially when the on coming vehicle takes to the wrong side. First aid is a good knowledge to have and something we dont give much thought to until an incident occurs, thankfully all was well with both parties but I can thoroughly understand your concern. Phil is wanting to do the weekend again when his car is better, maybe you'd fancy it and we could muster a few more to re-run.....?we may even get Michelle and her silver beastie ?
Regards
Chris
Old 16 July 2001, 10:51 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've done some first aid training through the TA and I feel I could help someone survive until the emergency services arrive. Bear in mind brain damage can occur after 3 minutes (if they'd taken a breath before pasing out, a lot less if they haven't) and it shows how important first aid training could be. If you don't remember anything else, try remembering the treatment priorities Breathing, Bleeding, Breaks and Burns. Always attend unconscious casualties first as well.

Also, I would caution anyone from perform CPR without training - it is quite possible you will make the situation worse.
Old 16 July 2001, 11:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Perhaps easier to remember than breathing, bleeding breaks and burns is the simple ABC - airways, breathing, circulation?
Old 16 July 2001, 11:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oh, and what Jerome says is a very good point too. Particularly dangerous is performing CPR on someone who is breathing or has a pulse!!! Do get basic training before trying to do anything
Old 16 July 2001, 01:03 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

And before ABC always make sure the environment is safe first!!! Never put yourself in danger to assist someone else.

But yeah, I'd remember it all, did first aid in the Scouts. Red Cross course and exam in the Venture Scouts, and the St Johns exam just before we had the kids as a refresher.

Dave