HELP! Jap car, UK transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2001, 05:47 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

A quick note to all who know me: I have changed my username/account from "Kevin W" to my reg no. "K9VYN [Kevin W]"so I can be easily ID'd at meets! But until I receive my password I will continue to use this account!

My '94 WRX is soon to undergo surgery at TSL! It's having a gearbox transplant (second hand) and the donor box is from a 40+K mile UK 5 door. I am also getting the rear diff with it.

I have been advised that the speedo may differ on the UK box, but have also been advised by the supplier that both types of cable attach to the box in the same place (so no change of speedo required). Can anyone confirm that all I need is just the box and the diff and or that the speedo concern is not an issue!

Any other useful comments regarding this will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Kevin

Old 11 July 2001, 04:58 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I suspect you may have speedo issues assuming the original jap speedo is still onboard. The 0 to 180 scale speedo, (originally 0-180kph but generally converted to MPH by fitting a reduction gearbox into the drive cable) would not, I suspect, be directly compatible with the smaller scaled english speedo head, and by implication, the english gearbox.
Old 11 July 2001, 11:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
hi kev, how u doing?

sorry, i dont know the answer i am afraid. You could always get a speedo from a scrap UK car and install that? Just keep the old one and record the mileage change point and you wont get any gip for clocking it etc.

Just a thought.
Old 12 July 2001, 06:48 AM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Moray,

That's the most detail I've had on the subject so far - perhaps Central Subaru hadn't considered that!

Many thanks for the advice!

John,

I'm fine, thanks. Be nice to have Scoob back on the road at the end of the month. I'll see what the suppliers say (re: Moray's suggestion). If they can't supply, I'll source a scrap UK car!

Thanks to you both!

Kev
Old 13 July 2001, 08:41 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guys,

According to Andy at Central Subaru, this should not be a problem. He explained it to me and I sort of understood it at the time. Don't ask me to try and relay what he said, just trust that he knows what he is talking about! We'll see when the box goes in.

I am eagerly looking forward to the combination of my blueprinted WRX engine, and UK spec box mated to the other breathing mods and possibly an organic clutch (if a clutch is required). Should go pretty well me hopes.

Anyway, thanks again.

Kev

[This message has been edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] (edited 13 July 2001).]