Sponsored by:

dents in roofline, anyone got similar?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 01:15 PM
fickle
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Do any other scooby owners out there also use the roofrack? If so, had any problems with damage to bodywork?
I have a 2001 WRX(4dr), on which I regularly carry surboards. Over an 8 month period it has developed 8 dents/stretch marks in the roofline panels ( between tops of windows and roofrack track, from the rear doors to the rear quarter panels).
My conclusion is that the lift generated by the load is flexing the panels??!! New damage only appears after trips away with boards!
If any other owners have had similar problems i'd love to hear from them as Subaru think I'm just careless and must have caused the damage myself!
Cheers
Old 16 August 2002, 12:31 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't got a scooby but the exact same thing happened to my 306gti-6. I was gutted as the car was only a couple of weeks old and was in mint condition otherwise.

I did the same as you, bought a Thule roofrack, chucked two surfboards on, went off to the coast, and some time after noticed two indentations where the two feet of the front bar sat, just over the doors. I wasn't sure if it was due to overtightening the rack when I put it on, or like you said the downforce generated on the motorway. Either way it really bugs me now when I see the roof in certain light as the dents look really obvious to me.

I was going to get DentMasters or someone similar to have a look, see if they can do anything. Haven't got around to it yet though...