Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever owned a LHD car?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 10:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This question is obviously for the UK guys.Just wondering if you have ever owned one and if so if you encountered any problems in driving,insuring or resale.Cheers,Deep.
Old 14 August 2002, 11:05 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've never owned a LHD car here, but I gather for a LHD car, insurers routinely extract an extra 25% on the premium for an equivalent RHD car.

Having driven every combination of LHD & RHD vehicles on both sides of the road, I think this is a rip off. The only time it becomes an issue at all is for overtaking. Various techniques minimise the disadvantages so I personally don't see any justification for the extra premium.

I for one would interested to see the statistics that prove LHD drivers have 25% more claims. Also, because of reduced profits and difficulty shifting LHD cars in the UK, they are less likely to be stolen for resale here. Only professional gangs shipping abroad will consider stealing them. Oh well, at least the insurance companies make a healthy profit from LHD car drivers...
Old 14 August 2002, 11:05 PM
whatsisname
Scooby Regular

Owned several yank left hookers in the 70's
shopped around for insurance ( Limited milage or classic ) usually keeps cost down.
Overtaking is different :: you drop back before pulling out, get used to it after a while.

Old 14 August 2002, 11:10 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I have got a LHD MY00,I have no problems driving.You find a technique for overtaking but to be honest with so much traffic on UK roads not even a RHD can overtake.
I have had no problems with insurance.

ski
Old 14 August 2002, 11:14 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

I imported a LHD Impreza turbo, new from Holland in 1999 because it let me get one immediately and it saved a stack of cash. I haven't really had any problems and it's probably one of the best purchasing decisions that I've made (it's a short list - trust me )

Insurance is no more expensive than RHD. Lots of people seem to think that it is but just speak to your broker for the truth

I've found the driving to be fine as well although maybe you should try it to see what you think as some people find it a bit weird.

For me, it let me buy a brand new Impreza in my budget rather than a 2nd hand UK one. Now that my budget has gone up a bit, the next car can be something quite "interesting" as by considering LHD it opens up all sorts of cars that would otherwise be out of my league.

Resale isn't a problem either as I've recently been for two test drives and I've been offered a reasonable price in part exchange at both garages (about 4k less than I paid for it which isn't so bad after three and a half years).

What are you thinking about ?
Old 14 August 2002, 11:20 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I've run 3. The only problem was car parks where you have to take a ticket / pay at a kiosk / pay tolls etc. One of mine was a 944 S2 with sport seats and it was just NOT possible to stretch across.
Old 14 August 2002, 11:37 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

My company car is a Volvo S80 4WD LHD and apart from a bit of overtaking juggling it's fine.

It's a big white barge, makes me look like a copper, and get funny looks due to LHD which is a bit of a laugh...

On the M6 all the time. Give us a wave..

Daver
Old 14 August 2002, 11:44 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I run a lhd Ferrari. Absolutely no probs in central London - the gear change needs my right hand as I am R-handed and it is a b*gger when cold hence the strength factor is a bonus! 2 ft to the left and 10k cheaper.... I like that!

It really is not a big deal and insurance is the same as RHD too. I recommend it!
Old 15 August 2002, 07:11 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

I stand corrected on the insurance issue. It also seems that the resale isn't a prob either. Might even consider LHD for the next car myself.
Old 15 August 2002, 08:07 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Jerome
IF a larger premium is charged for a LHD car (and it depends which car) it is not for the reasons you originally stated, it is because if a LHD car is accident damaged the LHD specific parts are more difficult to get hold of and more expensive as they have to be imported specially.