Sponsored by:

On the Subject of Gatsos - Some Common Sense from the Met Police

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2001, 04:09 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A snippet...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Assistant Commissioner Michael Todd, in charge of Territorial Policing in London, said he had called a halt to any expansion in the number of speed cameras in London.

In a move which has the backing of Commissioner Sir John Stevens, he has ordered traffic police to direct resources at accident blackspots, particularly those around schools.

Mr Todd said: "We do not believe in pursuing speed enforcement for the sake of it. I think it could alienate members of the public and potential witnesses to crimes. It is more appropriate to direct resources on tackling the crimes that concern Londoners such as stopping violent crime, protecting people's homes from burglary and tackling street robbery.

"I am worried that people will take the view that the police are only doing this to make money. If we get labelled as a force that just collects money for speeding I think that is awful. I think we would lose a lot of support. We will continue to do speed enforcement but we will not increase the number of cameras just to make money. But if we see someone doing 60 in a 30 mph limit we will prosecute."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10 July 2001, 04:30 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

A step in the right direction. But, with some people (not necessarily me), support may already have been lost. Some of the opinions presented on the very BBS would confirm this. Nevertheless, still encouraging news. Especially as I live in London.

And with a 178% increase in deaths involving Police drivers over the last 4 years, maybe they ought to start concentrating on their own drivers first rather than the general public...
Old 10 July 2001, 04:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Agreed!
Old 10 July 2001, 07:22 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Maybe he's listened to the new Home Secretary Mr Blunket?
Old 10 July 2001, 07:27 PM
Jaggy Bunnet
Scooby Regular

Typical senior Plod! Home Secretary Blunkett tells the police to stop targetting motorists and get out and tackle some real crime and before his words have stopped echoing around the corridors of power, Plod Major climbs up his bottom with a speech like that! Makes me cringe. If he really believed what he's just said, why didn't he have the ***** to say so before?

JB
Old 10 July 2001, 08:30 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Now, now, we mustn't discourage him...