Sponsored by:

Introduction and spiking problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2002, 09:14 AM
Pitzi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone, I am new on this Forums, I am a scooby lover from South Africa. My car is a MY99 Subaru Impreza GT (thats what the WRX is known as here)
It has a few mods and I enjoy every minute with it!!

I have a problem (I am not sure if this is the correct forum??), since I have fitted a 3" full free flow exhaust and twin downpipe, I have a problem, with spiking boost, it was suggested to me to fit an electronic boost control (the car has a Prodrive ECU) that would allow me to use pump fuel as I could decrease the boost, and it would also cure the spiking. this I have done, but spiking is still there, when the car gets on boost, if the EBC is set to 1.0 bar it will spike up and down to 1,1 bar for a few seconds, creating a yo-yo effect, very disturbing. it was suggested to me to fit a 3-port boost solenoid as the OE solenoid apparently cannot cope with the speed that the boost builds with a de-restricted exhaust?? it was also suggested that I should have a look at the wastegate spring?? but this sounds wrong, beecause I had no such problems before fitting the 3" exhaust. Has anybody had similar problems and what is the solution?? I dont want to spend a lot of cash on parts that do not need replacing, but I cannot live with the car as it is now.

Second problem is that when I run 102RON fuel, I cannot adjust boost to higher than 1,1bar because it feels like the ECU is shutting down the fuel supply or something, as soon as boost goes past 1,1bar the car just seems to hit a brick wall for a split second, any ideas/solutions??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11 August 2002, 09:40 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

This is fairly normal behaviour after decatting the car, I don't have much to suggest, as the boost controller was the obvious thing to help control this.

Perhaps if you post in Drivetrain forum on this BBS you will get the right people looking at your problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, Alex
Old 11 August 2002, 01:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have your wastegate and actuator looked at because an EBC should have cured the spikes.

Fuel cut is just over 1.2 bar, so perhaps you hit that and you gauge is a bit inaccurate like a lot of them are - even the expensive ones.
Old 11 August 2002, 04:44 PM
Pitzi
Scooby Regular

Thanks John, I will try the wastegate, someone suggested that locally, but I just wanted to make sure that he isnt talking crap.