Time to say goodbye...

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2000, 02:51 PM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

(might be long!)..

Well the time has finally come and I have had to put my sensible hat on. We have just had our first baby and I now have something more important to spend extra cash on. I sold my MY98 saloon last Tuesday. I owned it for nearly 18 months and before that I had a Sport. Even on my last day with it I was still smiling as I parked up. I can't really say anything that has not already been said - we all know the score.
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all the help and enjoyment I have had from the bulletin board and various meetings that I have attended. I have met some great people and hopefully we will stay in touch. A big thanks to all the people who run the BBS, SIDC owners club and the organisers of the events. A big thanks to Pete Croney for making the ScoobySport exhuast available and bringing a very big smile to my face - if you don't have one - you should! Also many thanks to Stef and Tony Broadman for taking me round Donnington - I won't ever forget that experience!

In case you are wondering I have bought a Golf GTI 2.0. Now you may disagree with my choice and reasons but here are some anyway:
Insurance group 10, already getting 34mpg, have parked it in town twice without wondering if it will still be there on my return!, build quality as good as any car you can buy, residuals as high as almost any car you can buy (even better than Subarus).
Now I am missing the performance but I have a motorbike to compensate for that.
I cannot speak highly enough of the Impreza and if I get lots of spare cash in the future another one would be at the top of my list - can't say fairer than that.

Thanks again for being such a good bunch and don't let the few idiots get to you.

.Richard
Old 31 January 2000, 04:42 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

I've just had a baby boy (well, the Missus did actually) and I have just ordered Scoob! It seemed a sensible choice - 4 doors, reasonable sized boot, goes like buggery. Ditch the Golf, you only live once, and anyway, your son will be infinitely more popular when he is older if his his old man drives a Scoob!

That's what I told the wife, anyway.
Old 31 January 2000, 04:44 PM
JamesH-2
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry to hear about the scoob. Good news on the baby. Our first was the reason we got ours - MY99 5 dr - a more "sensible" familly car to replace the VW! & I've still got the bike

Hope you win Sun Bingo
Old 31 January 2000, 06:08 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ce la vie...decisions decisions...Where did you sell the car..private, trader etc..a must know for all trying to flog theirs
Old 01 February 2000, 10:30 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Congratulations! Was it a boy or a girl?

Either way, playground kudos goes to the kid who gets to go in the "rally car"! Our six year old told me he loves "scooby" more than the girlfriend he is marrying this week!

Good luck with the nappies!!
Old 01 February 2000, 06:32 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Absolutely...Kudos is the thing..My 5 year old nephew and his mate billy both want a soobyroo impretza when they grow up...cos there brilliant...and they'd know wouldn't they
Old 01 February 2000, 08:11 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Cool

2 kids + 1 one the way + 1 big dog = MY99 5 door Turbo. Practical, bloody great fun AND a nice cubby hole on the dash for ALL your petrol reciepts. What more could you ask for.
Old 01 February 2000, 09:10 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

My 5yr old daughter preferes the Scooby to our old MK 4 GTI Turbo. Too slow dad was her comment.

Richard you might be in for a shock on Golf Residuals. Scooby is as good if not better. My Mk 4 lost 3k in 9 months and 6000 miles.
Nice car though. VW reliabilty leaves a lot to be desired though. My Golf had faults and now the Polo GTI picked up yesterday wont even lock fully and the interior light wont work properly.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 01-02-2000).]
Old 02 February 2000, 12:02 AM
phill .m.
Scooby Regular

Wink

See ya Richard,you could still come to Donnington though!

Phill.
Old 02 February 2000, 11:37 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey Geezer ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

My first Scooby MY00 collected tomorrow.

My wife and I's first child in three weeks time (or there abouts).

What more could you ask for.
Old 03 February 2000, 10:02 PM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Just 'cause you don't have the Scooby keep posting here we know you're one of us at heart.

Mark