Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2002, 11:30 AM
Smokedog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently own a 106 GTi and its giving me non-stop problems. I now want something bigger and faster.

I have two cars in mind FTO Mivec or a Scooby. I really want a FTO but don’t want the hassle of trying to source parts for litte things like window screen, blubs etc.

-How good are the build quality on Scooby’s?
-What common running problems do you have?
-Are they good for high mileage?

Thx
Old 09 August 2002, 11:35 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Did 50K in a scoob in 18 months, clutch was major issue for me having replaced 2 plates and 1 flywheel. Aircon went as well but everything else was reasonable, like most non Fords , they don't break a lot but the parts are expensive.
Old 09 August 2002, 12:07 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

My understanding that looked after they are very reliable and drive with a little respect...

I have done 30k miles in just over a year and no major problems other than was can really be put down to wear and tear.. they seem to have there quirks and "They all do that" problems but nothing major really...

Given that the parts are expensive but you can get parts from other scoobynetters a lot cheaper!

JGM
Old 09 August 2002, 12:12 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

However I wouldn't see a scoob as an inexpensive car on any front, insurance,petrol,depreciation and repairs are all on the high side. Don't choose it as an option to save money. Best cars I ever had for longevity and cost per mile were my 4 Golf Gti's. Lets not turn this into a Golf v Scoob thing please. I've only done 50K in a Scoob but over 400K in my Golfs.

Regards
Cammy
Old 09 August 2002, 12:13 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Would highly recommend you drive the two and get insurance quotes before even asking the above questions.

I had an fto for about a month, maybe two. Compared to scoob it was slow, thirsty (for the performance it had - or lack of!) and had THE most annoying small windows that were a pain in car parks getting tickets out.The tiptronic box also sounds nice but in reality was a pain and was easier just to leave in auto. Would recommend trying a manual if you can find one.