Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Scooby versus old Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2001, 03:13 PM
ogeddes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure this ground has been covered before - apologies.

I have driven the older shape Scooby before and was quite impressed. I am now in the situation where I need to get a new company car - and I am looking at the new WRX.

How does it compare - what are the opinions here regarding fun to drive, outright performance etc...

I own and race a Lotus Elise so this is to be my everyday car and also my tow car for race meets.

thanks for your help!

Owen
Old 04 July 2001, 03:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I own an old type scoob (MY00) and shes lovely, handles great, lots of power (have the performance pack fitted) looks good, is just a joy to drive, has nasty plastic interior but not as bad as my sisters toyota yaris thou!
Have driven the new shape, just the 2ltr gx thou, handles great, better interior, sounds more solid, has aircon as standard!! looks pig ugly but is an improvement over the old design as its been strenghtened throughout, the down side is that its also heavier, so is the turbo, thus the turbo looses out on power to the older model, unless of course you have the performance pack fitted and then you should be roughly on par with a standard old shape turbo, it also handles better but is more sedate than the older model, ie its easier to drive and doesnt get as jittery, still both absorb potholes well and its down to what you like, looks..... go for the older model, better car..... go for the newer model, but im happy with me little MY00 so no way am i changing her for a new 01 just yet

Tony
Old 04 July 2001, 04:58 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

I own an old shape Impreza and recently test drove the new Impreza WRX turbo. Basically if you like grandad armchairs for seats, bug eyed looks for headlights, soft fluffy suspension and no power go for the new one. I know what I'd go for time and time again.
Old 04 July 2001, 05:07 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I've owned 4 old shape and now a new shape. Needless to say they have all been fairly heavily modded, but the 01 is in a different class.

Power is very similar, if not identical to my 99, but handling and refinement could not be matched by the 99.

Another consideration is that the power delivery of the 01 is more linear, which would definately help towing.

Aircon as standard, 17's standard... buy the 01.
Old 04 July 2001, 05:26 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a Subaru dealer 'off the record' and he told me he prefers the old model as it has more of 'an edge to it'

Reckons the new model is a bit too refined and soft for what an Impreza Turbo should be.
Old 04 July 2001, 05:33 PM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

I have a new shape one, and it goes, never driven one of the old shape ones mind you so can't comment on them, but do think they look better, although with a few modifications the 01 model does look the buisness.
Old 04 July 2001, 05:37 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Drove the new model the other day at Tiley's open day, very disapointing. I will not be getting one of these. Perhaps the STI model will give it some go. I know I'm an old fart and the new model should be for me, but not just yet.
Old 04 July 2001, 06:25 PM
ogeddes
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that gents. I think I will go for a Scooby (I have to get the MY01 as its a company car). Will make some styling changes - headlamps have to be changed!

Over time I will swap over to Leda suspension and do something about the engine.

Many thanks for your help - guess I will be a regular poster here soon!!

cheers

Owen