Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Weird whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 12:55 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a nasty whine on my MY00 that gets worse as the car warms up (very loud after a hard thrash) - dealer says its probably power steering fluid (I thought it was too) and changing it would resolve it (not had it done yet).

Neil
Old 02 July 2001, 10:37 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My MY2000 scooby has developed a whining noise that seems to be coming from the middle of the car. My local dealer took a look at it, and decided some of the bearings neaded replacing in the gearbox. After having the car for a whole MONTH (!), they eventually returned it with new gearbox bearings, and the noise started again the next day. The same dealer says that the noise is now different, that they fixed the original problem, and that the current noise is "not abnormal", and "to be expected".
I'd like a bit of feed-back from other Scooby owners as to whether they have experienced this type of noise is their car, and if anybody knows what is causing it:
It starts to become audible above 30mph as a whining noise - a bit like to turbo spooling up but a lower pitch. The pitch of the whine increases with the speed of the car - NOT the speed of the engine. I can (and have) coasted in neutral at 60-70 mph with the engine ticking over and the whine is still there at the same volume as if I were doing the same speed in gear. It appears to be the most noticeable at around 60mph, but this maybe due to the higher pitch of the noise being more easily heard above normal road noise.
The noise is not "loud" (yet), but is very noticeable - I would say it it considerably louder than the noise from the turbo.

Does anybody have any ideas?

(Please refrain from the usual "Could it be the wife?" type jokes - it isn't.)

Thanks,

David Harbige
Old 02 July 2001, 10:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised they say it's "to be expected"; my MY00 Scooby has plenty of rattles and squeaks, but no whining.

I'd try another dealer if I were you, taking a month not to fix the problem sounds like a request to be sacked

Andy.
Old 02 July 2001, 10:47 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Just had my drive flange replaced after a similar noise. Pitch increases with the speed of the car and is worse when applying some steering lock. Be sure this is the problem before replacing as its not cheap!!
Old 02 July 2001, 11:07 AM
bren simpson
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bearing in one of the the diffs has picked up.

Bren
Old 02 July 2001, 01:31 PM
Peter Johnson
Scooby Regular

Mine started WINEIN, and me and The subaru garage has put it down to the Water pump on its way out!! But dont be alarmed, when drivin i cant hear it, its just when idle ing!!

PETE
Old 02 July 2001, 02:31 PM
logix651
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have a whining noise when I'm in 5th gear at 60mph or below, but above 70mph it seems to be fine.
Also if I hold the gearstick and push it up a little in 5th the noise is there. Its beginning to irritate me so hope to get it sorted next service.