Sponsored by:

STI 7 PPP Turning into a sick joke?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 08:31 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

All I can say is you obviously havent been around imprezas for very long as this happened with the MY01 PPP and I dont see why people are surprised. As DTS says they take time to develop these things as the cost of getting it wrong is expensive but we are in a must have yesterday society. I bet all the people who are complaining have the latest phones as soon as they hit the streets, all running windows XP the day it came out, have an X-box and PS2 on their shelf and queued for hours for a Tracy Island .

[Edited by chrisp - 8/4/2002 8:33:00 AM]
Old 08 June 2002, 08:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Jza
Christ mate - I didn't realise the MY01 PPP issue was STILL biting you THIS much

If I were you, i'd nip down to Claims Direct and see if you can bring a claim for mental trauma and psychological stress against IM.....

[Edited by Dave T-S - 8/6/2002 8:46:50 PM]
Old 03 August 2002, 10:46 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rant on!

Order accepted at dealer however......very suspicious as no deposit required.

Also

1 Delivery date..........none
2 Product details........none
3 Performance details....none

Rumours rumours rumours.......

About time we had some facts I think even if there are problems I think by now we do deserve some explanation as to what is going on!

Expecting usual silence.........and assorted bull....

Rant off!
Old 04 August 2002, 02:05 AM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

Totally agree 2 months ago when my car was deliverd I was told by the dealer that the PPP would be available in 4 to 6 weeks so who is bullsh*ting who
Steve
Old 04 August 2002, 08:17 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

scoobycar60

It isn't ready yet.

The reasons for this are not sinister, but fairly innocuous.

When it is ready it will be announced.

Before then, it won't.

Some dealers jumped the gun by sending out info.

You appear to be complaining you didn't have to pay a deposit. No doubt you would be complaining if you did have to pay a deposit.

You can go and buy ECU/exhaust bits from another outlet that are cobbled together, and will likely invalidate your warranty, or you can wait for the PPP which will work properly and is fully warranty friendly. You can't develop these parts properly in five minutes. When Prodrive/IM are 100% happy that all is ready, they will release them. Until then they won't.

Prodrive could have rushed the PPP out three months ago. Give them credit for the fact that they *didn't*!

You can rant about it, or you can quietly go away and find out the *facts*, as I did.......

Exactly which bit of the above don't you understand?

[Edited by Dave T-S - 8/4/2002 8:34:58 AM]
Old 04 August 2002, 10:01 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

"The best things are worth waiting for" "Better to get it right first time" come on chaps won't be long(maybe)Its getting that close I can smell it

Chrisp,
I didn't wait for Tracy Island I built mine from Blue Peter style
Old 04 August 2002, 10:11 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL did you find TB3 goes like a rocket on optimax
Old 04 August 2002, 11:15 AM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dave T-S

Sorry I may be ignorant here, do you represent Prodrive? Are you speaking on their behalf, if so please be so good as to answer my questions with more information. I dont enjoy being scolded and told to "quietly go away and find out the facts" as you did......well bully for you! can you post this information here or not? if not why?

It isn,t ready yet. Fine then dealers IMHO should tell owners that and not accept any orders until they have a definate delivery date, my dealer sold me the car based on the fact that my observations with respect to the narrow power band delivery would be addressed as in other models with a ppp that I could order now and would be available shortly. Indeed they said they had an email indicating 1 or 2 weeks. I think this gives me the right to "rant" a little.

Dont get me wrong I love the car to bits and see the ppp as an enhancement, for your information I am a loyal Scooby driver who has had 3 imprezas in the last 5 years, if you have read any of my previous posts I bought a UK STI for warranty peace of mind and the quality of product Prodrive provide.

Your throw away comment about third party tuning parts being cobbled together will make you no friends here! and IMHO is arrogant twaddle in many cases.

If the reasons for the delay are innocuous then why not defend Prodrive from this sort of post by explaining this innocuous reason, no one would get excited I am sure.

IMHO Dealers generally only say what they are told to, especially after the delays with the ppp for the WRX last time. I am sure they would be even more on their guard this time.

I am not complaining about not paying a deposit for a product that at present is unavailable I am saying why not just say to customers we have a waiting list and will advise you when the product is available. IMHO annoucing a price and taking orders with no firm delivery date is wrong, hence my comment regarding suspicious.....i.e. not ready yet etc.

I would certainly not expect Prodrive to bring out a product 3 months earlier if they were not happy with it nor would IM I suspect.
I would not atribute credit to this though, more like rank stupidity to do it!

Prior to me reading your post and replying your final comment appears to assume I will not understand you, not the case, it is just you have nothing useful to say just waffle as is normal in this case
Old 04 August 2002, 12:21 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't work for Prodrive, I just *talk* to them. The information I have is not in the public domain, so I can't post it here - it would be a breach of confidence, and that to me is important, so under no circumstances will I post it.

I don't see what the big deal is about dealers taking orders without a deposit - if you don't like what you eventually hear about the PPP, nothing lost!

Perhaps it may have occured to you that by taking orders maybe just maybe Prodrive might be gauging demand and will then know how many kits they have to have in stock before they release it, otherwise they will have everyone moaning that there is a waiting list.....Prodrive are a big and very successful company and there is just a faint possibility that they aren't quite as stupid as some people would take them for.....

I understand your frustration, but ranting about it may not help.....
Old 04 August 2002, 01:17 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Fair comment Dave T-S ,what you say makes sense.

I guess I am just a bit impatient thats all and I hope "soon" is not too many weeks.

I am sure it will all be well worth it in the end.
Old 04 August 2002, 01:22 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am sure it *will* be worth it...... - at least I hope so! - if it isn't, blame Prodrive, not me LOL
Old 04 August 2002, 02:16 PM
generalscoob
Scooby Newbie

Cool

SOME OFFICIAL INFO FROM SCOOB/PRO DRIVE AS FOLLOWS.

STI7 PPP STOCK AVAILABLE FROM AUGUST 2002

RRP £1698.87 PLUS VAT
PLUS LABOUR AT 2.5HRS AT LOCAL RATE.

PACK IS DEALER FIT. I WOULD BE DUBIOUS OF ANY DELIVERY DATE BEFORE AUGUST OR EVEN SEPT.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 04 August 2002, 03:53 PM
Jetjockey
Scooby Newbie

Dealer read a memo to me, the jist of which was:

Japanese spec. single cat exhaust.
ECU to remap.
Some sort of new hoses under the hood.

He said he'd let me know monday as to full spec and date so I can stump up the cash. He'd heard the 300 ish BHP story too.
Old 04 August 2002, 03:56 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

See thread STI with PPP for sale
Old 04 August 2002, 04:19 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Er, Dave, in '60's defence..... "go out and find the facts" is something WE can't do: only you appear to have sufficient clout to get the "facts", and you're (understandably) not saying. As I've posted elsewhere, I for one am not too worried about "facts" consisting of spuriously-accurate figures for some parameter or other. "when" is the answer I want (having ordered) and many others want (to get access to a demonstrator to facilitate a decision).

Cheers

Phil
Old 04 August 2002, 04:24 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

Phil
Lancasters bean counters have said tyey will not finance one for their demonstrator--Great
Steve
Old 04 August 2002, 05:14 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Take it from me, Steve, Mike's goes like stink! You tellin' me you haven't ordered yet ?

Phil
Old 04 August 2002, 05:19 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Who says that the PPP version that we will get will be anything like Mike Wood's. I saw PRO 300 go round a track at one of the STi promotion days and it looked/sounded anything but standard. I doubt that the exhaust would pass drive-by noise tests for starters.

D.
Old 04 August 2002, 05:20 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Question

what figures are the ppp supposed to be giving, bhp/torque?
Old 04 August 2002, 05:26 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Nobody knows - yet.

Except that is Dave T-S.

D.
Old 04 August 2002, 05:38 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

Phil

Yes I have ordered it. Good point about Mikes car though
Steve
Old 04 August 2002, 07:00 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Fair point, DJB! I accept final spec isn't necessarily spec as seen - when it was reeling in standard STis hand over fist. Nevertheless, the 3000 - 4000 band was stunningly better!

Phil
Old 04 August 2002, 08:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Who says that the PPP version that we will get will be anything like Mike Wood's. I saw PRO 300 go round a track at one of the STi promotion days and it looked/sounded anything but standard. I doubt that the exhaust would pass drive-by noise tests for starters.
DJB
Aftermarket parts are exempt from the new car Type Approval regs such as noise - that's why they can't fit the PPP to a new unregistered car, but can get away with fitting it to a "secondhand" one

Old 05 August 2002, 06:07 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Dave,
Talking Xhorst does the PPP version have a strange looking "Outpipe" any Views on it(even pics) LOL is it twin "Bug Eye" to match the front LOL

Tony
Old 06 August 2002, 02:41 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Angry

Guys and Gals,

Having been mucked about on the previous MY01 PPP... the best advise i can offer is dont take it for granted that your going to get your PPP as soon as the information is released.

I was told in Nov 2000 (when i ordered the car) I would get my PPP by Feb 2001 at the latest. I actually got it in August 2001 - and only because i ranted so much at my dealer.

IM and Prodrive are CRAP at keeping us informed.... but in the normal world they arent really abliged to!!!! We believe we have a right to know - and we dont really do we. We are just customers...

Prodrive and IM are not on the board. My dealer says i know things before he does because of what i read. They do not owe us any additional information - so we dont get any.

I think this is very very WRONG!!! But whay can we do? Boycott and buy an Evo i guess

Unfortunately we are now in the situation of "no official information" is available....

.....just the usual people enjoying there position of "teachers pet" wafting the carrot in everyones faces and then telling you its "going to be great" but that "sorry, they cant tell you what IT TASTES like cause of XY and Z" reasons.

These people are similar to the boy in the playground who has all the best toys... and they now enjoy doing the same here ..... "PLEASE TELL US.." we cry .... "NO I CANT........ OFFICIALLY"... they reply - cause they are in the IN CROWD. We play along and look to them as some sort of GOD.

Ring MIKE WOOD yourself and ask him whats going on!!!!

This BBS is the wrong place to be if you really really want the STI UK PPP

If I had never read a thread about the MY01 PPP last year I'd probably never have got stressed - i would have waited for my dealer to ring and been happy.... but as it was i heard rumours of people having the PPP fitted before me.. and i threw a wobbly.

So my advise is to sit back, relax and DONT LISTEN TO THE CARROT WAIVERS (they know who they are)

When you see the announcement on the Subaru website......................

................ ring your dealer and get in the queue.......

Jza
Old 06 August 2002, 05:19 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Well said Jza.

... and still it rumbles on LMFAO
Old 06 August 2002, 05:31 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

These threads are just like the MY01 WRX PPP threads when it was rumoured and coming, delayed, then coming...

It will come when it comes and then everyone will complain about a two week wait to get it fitted due to the high demand!

Now I am interested in the rumour about the WRX PPP upgrade!
Old 06 August 2002, 05:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
"The information I have is not in the public domain, so I can't post it here"

[pedant]
As you don't work for Prodrive the information *is* in the public domain.
[/pedant]
Old 06 August 2002, 08:39 PM
railman
Scooby Newbie

There was a bit about an upgrade for the Sti 7 in one of the performance mag`s, but I have been told that it will increase BHP to 305
Old 06 August 2002, 09:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

"The information I have is not in the public domain, so I can't post it here"

[pedant]
As you don't work for Prodrive the information *is* in the public domain.
[/pedant]
Jack
Fair comment. Let me rephrase it. I was told in confidence, and I don't break confidences - people that know me well value that

Quick Reply: STI 7 PPP Turning into a sick joke?