ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Knockhill Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2001, 03:40 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Just been to Knockhill for my first trackday. Not to drive, but to spectate!!
It was really cool with so many nice Scoobys all in 1 place!!!

I'd just like to say a huge thanks to Rob who showed me everything about his mint RB5 PPP. Rob made my day by taking me out for about 10 laps.... that was totally mental! I was blown away by the speed of his car, we were simply flying through Elises etc. His driving was an education to say the least!!

As a young aspiring Scooby wannabe i was totally sold, when i finish Uni and get a job i'm gonna work my butt off to get one(along with a nifty helmet!!: )

Anyway thanks again Rob for a class day, i won't forget it in a long time!!

PS Hope to bump into u at another meet sometime. Especially when i can try and stay on your tail in my car!! Eventually

Basically if any of u guys have not been to one of these events u should definatly go. Even if its just to watch!!

Cheers

Kosy
Old 30 June 2001, 07:25 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Glad you enjoyed yourself - I think I spoke to at one point! Rob's car is impressive - probably if I was changing mine, I'd buy an RB5. Perhaps that is 'cos I likes silver/gray cars

Going for passenger laps even if you are driving can be highly education - thank you Cameron. <Homer Simpson>Hmmm, PPPP11111s<Homer Simpson>

Cheers - (Silver 5dr Roadblock - the only one there))
Old 30 June 2001, 07:38 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Me again.

Forgot to say a *big* thank you to JohnS for all your organisation and that it's a pity your car was playing up .

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 30 June 2001).]
Old 30 June 2001, 09:34 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by the 5 Door Silver Road Block !!!!!:
<B>

Forgot to say a *big* thank you to JohnS for all your organisation [/quote]

A very big thanks to JohnS For another great day, Pity the weather stopped things for a short while in the middle. Hope to have some pictures on our website as soon as possible.

Ken

(now with more tread on the steering wheel than on all the others
Old 01 July 2001, 12:38 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

another great day courtesy of JohnS.

the weather made things interesting,I took to the grass once after getting well out of shape at the hairpin ,rather than battling up the straight and possibly loosing and hitting the tyre wall I decided to take to the large grassy triangle,aimed for a Vauxhall sign and went straight for it bringing me out on the small emergency road,didn't fancy my chances hitting the brakes or trying to steer anywhere on the wet grass.this worked well except for the stone or drain cover which flat spotted the front near side rim.still at least it was not the sump and I did not get stuck,stopping the session.going to see if Falkland Perf. can do anything about the understeer similar to Powerstation.

at least the brakes lasted this time,like Doogsy I had killed a set of Reds at the last track day,this time I used Yellows which seem to have a fair bit left.

the driving standard seemed to be excellent through-out the day,wish I had seen a bit more of the BMW,looked like he was giving Sam a run for his money.following the Pug through the bends and watching him slide the tail out brought back memories of Golf GTI days.the car,21 m** looked to be very good,both in perf. and handling.

john

Old 01 July 2001, 08:07 AM
JohnS

Smile

Glad everyone seemd to have a great time, despite the torrential rain about mid way through the session, and the subsequent long queues for coffee etc. You should have gone to the other restaurant, where there were no queues, and plenty of tables

I'd like to say a big thanks to Falkland Performance Centre, who took my car in at virtually zero notice, diagnosed the problem (strut top mount bearing had completely gone - with no warning!), and replaced it in 30 minutes, which included taking out the rear seat, removing the rear strut/spring assembly, replacing strut top, put it all back together again, bleed brakes and then replacing the rear seat.

Unfortunately, I had a major puncture on the way back to the circuit, so was just a few minutes late in getting back to the circuit. Tyre was completely flat, and although we tried one of those tyre weld cans (many thanks to Lawrence Hoy for this, and assisting me with the rear wheel ), the hole was just to big to repair. So space saver it was all the way back to Aberdeen at 50mph... At least I had excellent fuel economy though, and used about 1/4 tank in 100 miles!!

The long journey home gave me plenty of time to phone around for a replacement tyre, and got two new Toyos fitted on the rear.

See you all again soon
Old 01 July 2001, 11:16 AM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Great day thoroughly enjoyed the time on the track
Unfortunately like John S I had to curtail the fun due to mechanical probs.
My nearly new EBC redstuff had disappeared after the first few hours.
Stop by Falkland and got Mintex 1155 on the way home.
Put them on when I got home and "old" pads barely 1mm of pad left
When's the next on John?
Old 01 July 2001, 03:27 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks john
that was a great day although i would have liked to use the slicks. when is the next one

john (t-uk)
that MCOUPE was one of the most empressive cars i have seen, considering it is rear wheel drive in the wet. i don't know what happened to it later on the day though. it is probably the fastest car on the track on the pit straight. it would be very interesting to see it on a dry day

Old 01 July 2001, 05:42 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks John for another great trackday, very interesting in the wet
It's a shame I didn't hang around long enough for you to return, because you could have used my standard wheels to get home, sorry mate

Miles, I don't think that shade of ic scoop would match the shade of colour on a RB5

Kosy your welcome glad you enjoyed the ride, shame the rain fell so hard which made McIntyres like (Tut's quote) driving on ball bearings!!
Come down again and we'll stay out longer

Got some interesting footage of people in front wagging there tails like nobodys business

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 01 July 2001, 05:58 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rob D,

any chance of you posting some of the footage here?

john
Old 01 July 2001, 06:14 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

At the moment the only capture card I have is crap, but I will be purchasing a new one soon but I'll try with the one I have.
Shame I missed your nice detour on camera, was just making my way down to the hairpin to take some footage

Cheers,

Rob.