Sponsored by:

End of the world - where's the jobs???

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 06:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well, I've been unemployed for four weeks now and although I have a wealth of experience with computers, marketing, admin etc, I cannot find a job - not even a temp £4 a hour thing

To say I'm getting pissed off is a massive understatement. I dont know how much longer I can go on watching This Morning and Jenny Jones on Sky 1.

To cap it all my last firm have underpaid me so I am now overdrawn and have no money left for next month. The MR2 may have to go, the house/mortgage is looking ominous, and worst of all it looks like I am going to have to miss the Northern Camping Trip.

I really am feeling the lowest ever, and now me and the missus have fallen out but I cant get pissed cos I have no money.

Why is it that you are cruising along in life enjoying yourself, then the next you are in the gutter with nothing?

Rant over - just wanted to get that off my chest. If I disappear from the BBS for a while it is probably because the phone has been cut-off or something.

I am usually so positive as well

Cya
DW
Old 29 June 2001, 07:22 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

DW

Don't think we've met, but you have skills that should be in demand. I hope you get sorted.

I am NOT in recruitment , but ....

the plc I work for is always short of staff. If you want me to put your CV the way of the people in HR, drop me an EMail.

Regards

Duncan

PS. Get rid of the MR2 - stay with Scoobies!
Old 29 June 2001, 07:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

<B>If there are any people out there hiring web designers writers - take on DW. He does a <I>TOP</I> job Example of work he did FOC for Navtrak deal</B>
Old 29 June 2001, 07:40 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your plight, Dream Weaver.

Several of my colleagues who went IT contracting during the last year have all found themselves out of work in the last month or so.

As a result of the slowdown in the American economy, even IT companies are feeling the pinch.

My own company put a hiring freeze in place about 3 months ago, but will probably have to lift it soon. The reality is that we need more people to be able to complete all our projects on time, so I reckon some hiring will take place soon.

If you'd like to send me a CV, then I'd be more than happy to forward it to our HR people.

Andy.
Old 29 June 2001, 08:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

DW
I know how you are feeling,i`ve been there and am facing the prospect again after 20+ years as an engineering lecturer. My college, Redbridge College of FE has, along with a number of other courses, closed down the engineering dept. All that experience, knowledge and hard work about to be thrown in the bin by a management team who can see little further than the end of their noses.
FE has precious little to do with providing what the local population want and more to do with what will make a profit.
Good luck mate!
JohnD
Old 29 June 2001, 09:27 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

DW, I sympathise, I just got laid off from a permie management job in a consultancy....

I've gone the management route after 12 years of development and surprisingly there still seems to be *some* jobs around, but I went to look on Jobserve at development jobs knowing I could go there if I couldn't get a well paid PHB job... **** there is *nothing*... I could get paid more as a car mechanic than for the jobs I have seen... Believe me I am beginning to get tempted that way as well!

The thing is not to panic m8... I know some recruiters that are seriously thinking about selling their houses before there is a crash in that market as well, as they think we are only seeing the start,; arguing that we will follow the States (I worked for an American company, it's a *lot* worse in the states than here)

I don't think we will follow the States so far, because we never got into the tech markets so deep... I'm viewing the current market as a backlash against internet technologies, there was a similar backlash against VB about 4 years ago to go back to C++ - it didn’t last long… but I am seeing more demand for VB than HTML/n-tier skills. The thing is the advantages of using web based deployment are too large to ignore.

Already the money is coming back into the marketplace, this is visible just over the last month in the banking projects sector, and if you look at the VC there is a big wad waiting for good ideas in Q3. The difficulty is that a lot of firms drew a line in the sand at the end of Q2 and this is going to skew the market for a while. Then .net appears end Q3… If you know anything about the technology then you know that it will shake the script kiddies out of the market as it begins to turn web based development into a mature OO environment… (at least for the MS market, J2EE has it already, but that is another story.) Anybody who has the skills or experience will be in demand.

What is the point in all this rambling? This dud market wont last for ever, I suspect we won’t even remember it by end September, that might mean taking a dud job till then, or holding on tight and selling a few possessions to last out, which isn’t the end of the world; you can always buy better ones next year!

Still, I’m an optimist, I have 6 weeks paid leave so I should find *something.* I sincerely hope so as otherwise I shall be selling the car as well and going back to being a car mechanic. But, it is only a car; it’s not my kids, I can always get another car…
Old 29 June 2001, 09:38 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Depending on your qaulifications you could teach IT in colleges / adult education etc. you dont need a degree
Old 29 June 2001, 10:51 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

It's a bit like panic fuel buying unfortunately. The slightest whiff of a downturn gets turned into a pending disaster by the media and companies start to panic, pulling projects and budgets left right and centre.

This means there's less work to be done so the suppliers have to cut back on staff too. And they stop spending money which means their suppliers feel the pinch. And with less work to do they can't pay the contractors the rates they are used to. And then contractors complain that they are being ripped off. And so it goes on.

Presumably this means that the money is still around somewhere, just being hoarded until someone decides we've popped out the other side.

There are some industries that are a lot less sensitive to this than others - those that provide "essential" products and services, unlike our IT industry, and the advertising industry, that can be instantly chopped by management desperate to please the city analysts.

So we will pop out the other side, but for now maybe there are safer bets out there. Email me your CV if you want and if we have a need for some freelance web design stuff I'll get in touch.
Old 29 June 2001, 11:27 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

DW
Stay with it, I know it's tough. I've been there and seen it all, honest!
AND I had colossal mortgage with interest rates at an all time high

Rows with loved ones are just part of the territory and result from the despondency and stress. Afraid just like the lack of cash u have to come to terms with it, but it does get better and then you really do appreciate and enjoy things even more.

Been trying to develop a couple of freelance opportunities for you, nothing substantial or firm so don't hold your breath.

GO TALK TO THE MORTGAGE LENDER THEY WILL FIND WAYS TO DEFER PAYMENT! They will be no happier repossessing you place than you. Also have a word with Citizens Advice about debt management. I know it's embarrasing but DO IT.

Stay in touch m8 and I'm sure if we work on it the crowd can find way to get u to the lakes

B

Old 29 June 2001, 11:32 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

CharliePyscho

Remember me?

Would you like to email me with what you know about J2EE?

Currently doing a project with some peeps & that is the platform - but I don't know anything about it & its potential

Don't think this can work into a job for you I'm afraid, but you're the first to mention this on the bbs & I need knowledge!

Thanks

Old 29 June 2001, 11:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Si,

Can you read a map? If you get *really* desparate, I can set you up in a passenger car or van & you can work London as a courier/car driver. As long as you have somewhere to stay during the week, then no worries - take the vehicle home at the w/end. Mail or ring me if you want to talk about it.

Old 30 June 2001, 12:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the support everyone

It is good to know that I am not alone in this situation, and I knew I could count on my Scoobynet chums for some great moral support. I think it is getting to me more because in the past I have got myself a new job within days rather than weeks.

I am more positive this morning though, and reading your replies has helped a lot. For now I will have to try and go for a naff job to pay the bills. I can then look to re-developing my career moving forward.

Cheers to everyone, and I will try and get my CV out to those who have replied.

DW (Feeling much better today)
Old 30 June 2001, 02:07 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So much for the skills shortage.

I have recently been made redundant from a one of the wireless/m commerce inovators. I managed to find another job but this is starting to look a bit iffy as well. You know it's bad when you have to write a business justification to buy a batch of DLT tapes.

Dreamweaver I feel for you guy. It is hard to find a decent job at the moment. Use the time to sharpen you skills or go for a bike ride ( Yes i do own a push bike as well as a scoob ) while the sun is still out.

Best of luck mate !
Old 30 June 2001, 07:01 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

You know, this is what I love about Scoobynet

People really try to help each other.

Oh, DW, fngers crossed for you and I don't know if I can help, but feel free to email me your CV to rsquire@microsoft.com and I'll at least try

Richard
Old 30 June 2001, 08:23 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

DW,

Please register with
Old 30 June 2001, 03:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like we're offering 3 IT jobs at present, for those who like sunburn...
Old 30 June 2001, 03:04 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

DreamWeaver, drop your CV off with the Scoobynet sponsors Gis-a-Job!
Old 30 June 2001, 03:38 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

D-W,

I too was in the same situation, out of work for just over two months..

All I can say is hang in there, use GisaJob and the others, and something will come up, especially with your skills and abilities mate..

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know.

May be worth applying to some of big companies, Microsoft, Sun Micro, HP, IBM, EDS, EMC2, CMG, to name a few... Alot of the work the consultancy side of these companies do is web-based.

All the best, Alex