Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti car jackin measures

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 01:56 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that went through my mind was to get away.
It never even crossed my mind to get out and hand them the keys.
It was a purely instinctive reaction to the situation and it was only after the event that I worked out what had happened.
I don't think I panicked, in fact I think I was quite level headed about it at the time. It was later it seemed scary.
I would hate to think of a mother and baby having to go through that. I just hope the scum get what they deserve!

[Edited by Mojo - 8/2/2002 2:59:25 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 12:18 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Followin Mojo's close escape and the growin number of reported car jackin attempts, how bout we put together some anti-car jackin guidelines - maybe they'll make their way into the sidc faq ?

Obvious ones:-
- look around for people lurkin before identifyin your car and
gettin the keys out
- lock doors as soon as you get in
- get any steerin locks off quick as you can and get the engin
running

Any more ?
Old 01 August 2002, 12:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

To be honest I wouldnt bother with the steering locks - they hinder you when you need a quick getaway, are very easy to get past and dont offer insurance discounts.

When I was 22 I had an XR2 which was stolen from blackpool - it had both a steering lock and handbrake lock as well as immobiliser, but they still took it

DW

As my tip: Always leave at least a cars length in front of you when stopped at traffic lights - if necessary you can then drive off if any probs.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:39 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agree with Dream Weaver here...

Also wondering if I could connect the starter wire to the door locks so that the doors are locked auto automatically when you turn the starter!
Any thoughts?

JGM
Old 01 August 2002, 12:44 PM
ATC 1
Scooby Regular

FIT A DISKLOK.ONCE LOST KEY,TOOK AUTO LOCKSMITH 20 MINS WITH A POWER DRILL TO GET IT OFF.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:45 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Most of the Clifford alarms have the facility to lock the doors when you start the engine so if anyone's disabled this facility, it's worth thinking about putting it back on!!
A mate of mine has a CO2 paintball gun in the car - for anyone that's done it before, being hit at close range HURTS.
Highly illegal to carry in your car of course......
Old 01 August 2002, 12:47 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

JGM

The sigma alarm on a scoob will do this. Button 5 I believe.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:47 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Most alarms lock the doors on engine start up, which is good as long as you start the car as soon as.
Agree with Leaving a large space between you and the car in front.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:48 PM
King RA
BANNED

The Sigma M30 alarm, fitted as standard to new Imprezza's and fitted to alot of import ones has an anti-hijack feature which locks all the doors when the car is switched on, but its switched off by default.Check your manuals and u will see.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:49 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I think my alarm must be too old..

MY96... I have the cobra immobiliser and the Sigma Laserline (I think) alarm.. just two buttons on the key fob? one locks and unlocks and the other makes it go off!

JGM
Old 01 August 2002, 12:50 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Always leave at least a cars length in front of you when stopped at traffic lights
Tyres and tarmac - I remember a fireman asking me why they did that when I was a kid.

I didn't know so he told me that if they gotan emergency call when in traffic, they could get out of the line of traffic no problems.

Has stuck in my mind ever since
Old 01 August 2002, 01:00 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

My 2 Cents (Thats 12 cents spent so far today!)

I think being aware and observent are the best 'preventative' measures.

Allways lock your doors.

Never get out of the car if challenged.

Carry a 'throwaway' camera in your glovebox - wave that at them and they wont hang around very long.

A some paper and a pen to record details such as car make / reg number, thug description, witness details etc...

Oh, and remember to carry a loaded 9mm Uzi for those special occaisions!

Mak.
;o)
Old 01 August 2002, 01:05 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Throwaway camera - excellent idea

if you don't have a paper and pen to hand, just use your finger to write the reg number on some glass (i.e. windscreen or window ) and if you breathe on it you'll be able to read it afterwards...

Oh - and a large maglite Fits nicely between the centre consol and the passenger seat. I'd give the car away before fighting - but you never know what's going to happen once they've got the car...
Old 01 August 2002, 01:06 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

ultimately, first lesson of self defence

ALWAYS BE CONSCIOUS OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND BE RUTHLESS WHEN IT NEEDS BE.

that's the best form of defence. not involved in car jacking yet
*touch wood* but twice re attempted theft from driveway.

but remembered last encounter at moss side a few yrs ago: two guys walked out and sttod on street at red lights as i was approaching, needless to say without giving them benefit of doubt, pressed horn and shot off nearly ran into one of them.

TAKE NO CHANCES. NEVER BE COMPLACENT WHEN U'RE IN A SCOOB OR EVEN DECENT CAR.

Until we get the death penalty or canning, all these scums will continue to affect our lives. sad but true
Old 01 August 2002, 01:08 PM
J Bee
Scooby Regular

You should fit 'blackjack' for only £200. If they nick your car you simply activate it and after a minute or two the engine will cut out, lock all the doors and then call the boys in blue. For the money it's excellent. I'd also recommend fitting smash proof sealant on all windows - this means that someone lobbing a brick at your window will not be able to gain entry in this way. I would also recommend carry pepper spray in the glovebox. I would NOT recommend weapons of any sort - my friend has a very pretty modded STi and carried a handgun, was pulled over by the police and is now serving 6 months.
Old 01 August 2002, 01:10 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Just a note for those getting blackjax (sp?!) it invalidates the cat. 1 rating - so if you need it for the insurance, don't activate it!

re: the smash proof stuff - can you smash it from the inside if you were in an accident etc?
Old 01 August 2002, 01:12 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Recently attended Self Defence class....

Be vigilent
If you are suspicious then make a plan of action
If it steps up a level and confirm they are attempting to nick your car, carry out plan..

This is the best way to try and avoid panicking and freezing..

That guy looks suspisious standing there, oh and he has a mate with him.. well if they come over I shall reverse up and drive down that row of the carpark away from where they are currently stood/parked.. they walk over looking at you.. you carry out the plan...
They might be asking what the time is or where you get the car serviced but who cares you are gone.. they might have been after the car...

JGM
Old 01 August 2002, 01:26 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jen, the blackjax does not invalidate the CAT1 rating on your existing system. It is a separate add on, yet it is not recognised by insurance companies! I don't have one, but remember a few debates on this!

I would also agree strongly about being aware of your sorroundings! You can never be too paranoid I reckon!!
Old 01 August 2002, 01:31 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Keep a Rottweiler in the boot?

(just in case you try this, please leave a window open for the nice doggy.)

Hang on... that would make it easier to steal your car wouldnt it?

Forget I wrote this.

Mak.
Old 01 August 2002, 01:31 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Having had it happen to me now, I can't reccommend strongly enough locking your doors when you get in. If I hadn't it would have been a totally different story.
I'm a 1st dan black belt in Shukokai karate and a 5th Kyu in Wado Ryu karate and I agree with treating everything with caution and possible threat.
My experience, however, didn't allow the time to plan as I didn't notice that the car was full or that they were looking at me.
The whole thing was over so quick I didn't think about what I was doing. I just instinctivly reversed to get away.
I'm just glad they didn't jump me when I had my back turned out of the car. Doesn't matter what training you have a pack of attackers will do you damage.

I like the camera idea, but I don't think I had time to get it from the glove box.

Mojo
Old 01 August 2002, 01:35 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

ak - is that the clifford car jacking one? Sorry if its' not, I thought it was! Just that I read the book that comes with teh Clifford anti-car jacking thing and it had a warning in there saying it invaildated the Cat1 rating...we were also warned by the guys who fitted it that if we activated it this would happen...

appolgies if I'm talking cr*p!

Jen
Old 01 August 2002, 01:45 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Jen, here is one of the threads that I read it on here

The last guy confirmed it with Clifford and his insurance company. Really interested in this, because I was thinking of getting one fitted myself.
Old 01 August 2002, 01:51 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Thanks ak - I'm easily confused ...probably will activate it anyway tonight, can't see what the problem is if the alarm acts in the normal way anyway - I'd definatly be prepared to argue it if it came to it

Jen
Old 01 August 2002, 01:53 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

How are they going to know it was activated?

if the car gets nicked how can they tell?

Not that I condone being fraudulent but in this situation I think it is justified.

JGM
Old 01 August 2002, 02:34 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

...just what I was thinking JGM!

I think the only thing that might cause a problem would be if it was activated and the car jacker trashed the inside...then it would have to be in the report...preapared to risk it though
Old 01 August 2002, 03:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

How can they prove he didn't trash the inside out of vandalism or to try and get in or to extra the stereo?

I'd activate it... but that is just IMHO...

JGM
Old 01 August 2002, 03:33 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Going to anyway - no doubt about that one ...they might wonder why the car was at traffic lights or something when it was being vandlised though!!

"Excuse me miss, but do you usually leave your car at the entry point to a roundabout?" , "...er...."
Old 01 August 2002, 04:00 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I had a Toad alarm which the doors lock after 6 seconds on starting the engine, and can be opened from the inside anytime or by turning the engine off
Old 01 August 2002, 07:08 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

I had a Clifford Concept 600 fitted onto a previous car of mine and remember that Blak-jax was part of this alarms standard specification. When getting home and reading the handbook that came with the alarm, it said that the use of blak-jax would invalidate its Cat1 rating. One of the rules of Thatcham is that no Cat1 alarm is allowed to have this security feature in use.

At the time I was very annoyed that I was not informed before purchase that this extra standard feature if used would invalidate my alarms cat 1 rating as I would of saved the outlay and brought the concept 500/550 instead.
Do not believe for one minute that Insurance investigators that check out claims do not try every and I mean every way to say that your policy is invalid.

Imagine this someone takes your car which is fitted with blak-jax and it does its job of cutting out the engine at which point the thief has an accident because of the engine cutting out unexpectedly, which cripples them for life. The Insurance investigator sees that you have blak-jax fitted and with the statement from the car thief they confirm that you had activated it. The Insurance company says thank you very much but your policy is null and void, we will not be paying out for the written off car and you are then left with the prospect of the car thief then getting claims direct after you for damages for them being crippled. Don't say it wont happen because the whole reason for having insurance is incase things happen that you have not expected.

You only have to look at the case of Tony Martin being sued for shooting a thief to see that things like this can and do happen!

ian
Old 01 August 2002, 08:27 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The take on it I had from an alarm fitter was:

a) Thatcham have not banned the use of Blakjax use and therefore, by default, accept it, and

b) If there was any grief from an insurance company relating to a incident where Blakjax was used, then the VSIB could possibly step in on the side of the motorist as back-up.

These views are from a conversation I had and are not legally binding etc.

I'd much rather have it operational if I'm carjacked than just handing over the car for it never to be seen again - it gives you a second chance even though you might not like the state of the car when you get it back.

Apple

Quick Reply: Anti car jackin measures