ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I couldnt believe it! Renault Espace!

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2000, 01:57 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was driving home along a virtualy empty duel carriage way last night when I passed (very sedatly I must add) a Renault Espace. After passing him I pulled into the inside lane and continued at the same speed. It could only have been a few minutes later when the same vehicle came flying up behind me as we approached a large roundabout,he then pulled into the fast lane and tried to pass me.... on the roundabout!! He was sliding all over the place as it was a bit damp and damn near lost it on the way out. I was stunned thinking "he is actually having a go at me...he actually wants to race ...in an Espace!!!" Now I thought of keeping him in front of me and out of harms way but I thought it better to makehim eat some scooby dust and turn of at the next turning and coming back on after he passed. My point is, his vehicle was never designed to be fast, or handle well yet the desire to compete with something fast overcame safety of not only himself, but me as well. Amazing.
Old 01 February 2000, 02:30 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

This guy wasnt racing - normal driving mode for an espace.

I did about 400 miles yesterday - amazing how the fastest vehicles on the motorway were MPVs.

oh and I was out-cornered by a transit van...he was going through corners much faster than what I thought the safe speed was..
Old 01 February 2000, 02:38 PM
WigWam
Scooby Regular

Espace v6`s seem to be the Kings of the Motorway or so they think.Up your **** at 110+.

I had one "race" me in St Johns Wood when I owned a 205 1.9 gti and he nearly lost it at a natural "chicane" near Lords Cricket ground formed by the junction at one corner of lord`s. The high-sided van -with -windows lurched sickeningly to one side in my rear view mirror and convulsed across the road nearly demolishing lord`s perimiter wall.

They can`t do corners!!!

Needless to say he backed off, presumably shaken up.
Old 01 February 2000, 02:39 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee,

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've driven a LWB transit with twin tyres on the rear axle, and it is suprisingly puntable and fun.
The high seating position allows you a better view of the road ahead, which helps too.

Ford definately missed a marketing trick by not having an 'RS' transit!. Doesn't the transit share quite a lot of it's running gear with a Sierra Mike ?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 01 February 2000, 02:42 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Wasn't an Espace F1, was it?

The V6 espaces are warmer than the average roadcar and the espace does handle very much like an average car, be it a slightly dated one! The espace body is fibreglass over a lightweight steel shell, so the CofG isn't as bad as you would imagine.

Moray
(Who's actually driven an espace. Sorry.)
Old 01 February 2000, 02:44 PM
WigWam
Scooby Regular

What I didn`t mention was the fact that between 0815 hrs and 0915 hrs all espace vans
are oblged to be immobile in the middle of a road outside a school, then require to be driven off absent-mindedly to a coffee morning.
Old 01 February 2000, 03:00 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stupot,

People get so fired up driving around it's untrue !!!

Driving to the train station this morning through Bristol, around 30MPH...got cut up by this Mk 2 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi....really tatty thing....no wheel covers etc etc...just before a set of lights. He was totally off his trolly. Then as the lights changed to flashing yellow, off he goes, caning the **** off his car......big clouds of smoke coming out the back. Hmmm....

Don't worry, when people act like this it's not your car or you driving...it's just the fact they are having a really bad day....argument wth wife etc etc...and then take it out on the first target they see. I mean, obviously your Impreza is faster than a Espace, but this is immaterial to their state of mind.

I now enjoy driving around built up areas just to watch people letting off steam...bloody funny I tell you. Never get the problem back home in the wilds of Wales and open roads.....wonder why??...

IMHO of course

Gethin.
Old 01 February 2000, 03:55 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Wink

Gethin,

Is it because in the "wilds of Wales", they tend to take out their frustrations on the sheep ????

Merk.
Old 01 February 2000, 03:58 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Why do you always bring the Sheep thing up R19KET? Want to share a secret with us?

Old 01 February 2000, 04:23 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Had a chap in a 5dr hatchback try it on last friday. After being brought down a peg or two he sat dutifully behind me and didn't attempt anything so silly again.

Then again, maybe he just wanted to listen to the Scoobysport soundtrack and imagine it on his MY98 UK Turbo 5dr.

NeilR
Old 01 February 2000, 04:26 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bet they wouldn't drive those damn MPV things so fast if they'd read the crash test reports?

Paul
Old 01 February 2000, 04:35 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Gethin,

But you made me promise not to repeat your personal preferences , but I will if you say it's ok ???.

Mark.
Old 01 February 2000, 04:40 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Yawn.

Old 01 February 2000, 07:00 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Come on Gethin, where is your sense of humour?...or are u just tired from having released your frustrations on too many sheep?. Maybe thats why you drive slow, so you can spot a good looking one you havent "done" before??
Old 01 February 2000, 07:32 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

bite your lip Phil, just bite it !
AAAAAAH - what is it about you and Sheep Sunlip ? are you saying sommat ? hehehe
I think I know which Renault Espace it was that was chasing you home Stupot - ever been to Silverstone ? well they've got this safety car there - Renault Espace Body but underneath its a mighty fine *** of an engine - its capable of 170 mph - bloody barmey if you ask me - but I'd like a go in it - if not just to go for a roll in it - remember kids buy British Bacon and Beef - we'll cap you frogs !!! - ooer this is an internation board isnt it ? ooops
Old 01 February 2000, 07:36 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 01 February 2000, 08:03 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Red face

On about road rage and letting off steam. I picked my boy up from nursery (he's just turned 3) and on the way home he was sat in the back shouting at the van in front of us, calling it a "Stupid Van" and saying things like "Get out of my lane". Can't think where he gets that from............ Must be his mother!!!!!
Old 01 February 2000, 09:35 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sunil, you Surrey ponce! You just keep on spilling yer donner kebab as you crawl around Croydon and Purley doing your Lambeth Walk and drinking beer that's flat as a witches tit! Safe in the knowledge you've probably been clamped for parking in a red zone or something. Ner ner M25 (and M23 for that matter) har, har!

Old 01 February 2000, 09:46 PM
Wreckleford
Scooby Regular

I dont' know. It's kind of fun to demolish cars that are much faster than you. One early morning I raced a supercharged Toyota Levin in a Pajero V6. He left me on the straights but when the road got twisty I was right behind him and was eventually able to pass.
Old 01 February 2000, 09:51 PM
lee_m
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah that Sunil,

Bet he never told you lot he was a bloody accountant, did he?

(from the tightarse!)

Old 02 February 2000, 12:25 AM
Sonic
Scooby Newbie

It's usually VR6 Sharan's I see punting along
about 110 with parents screaming at each other/child (delete as applicable) in the back.

The sheep thing, I hear it's better if you get them on the edge of a cliff .. makes them back into you as .... errrm anyway ..

(Disclosure. That's what my fiance tells me, she's from Aberdeen and has heard it is common practice by the 'loons' up there )

Sonic.
Old 02 February 2000, 11:42 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Moray,
I dont think it was an Espace F1, I think it was more like an Espace Slow1 As for the sheep theme, I hear velcro gloves are useful for keeping hold of the more feisty ones

Stupot