ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Laser Guns & Camera

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 08:30 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My other half may have been targeted by Police on motorway tump with laser gun. She was keeping up with flow of traffic but's worried she may get ticket.

She wasn't stopped but does anyone know if they tend to use cameras on mobile motorway guns ?

Cheers
Old 25 June 2001, 11:12 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi,

I had a laser alert on my Radar detector the other week on my way back from Scotland near Preston.

I was doing around 95 mph in the Co' Golf and heard the "Laser Alert" , Stuck on the anchors, Hit again With "Laser alert", by that time we were doing about 65mph ! three weeks now and no ticket, so must be o.k

Some sneeky van parked on a m/way bridge with side door open and laser pointed in my direction.!!

Good luck.

Steve.
Old 26 June 2001, 12:47 AM
NickP
Scooby Regular

I regularly get laser alerts which I assume are false. However, they do seem to occur in the same places in time - normally under bridges. I thought it might be the transition from shade to bright sun that triggered it. [Bel 990i].

I have had one false laser alert at night - no idea what that was!

It's got to the point where I'm finding it difficult to 'trust' the laser alert, so I don't brake that hard anymore....

Nick
Old 26 June 2001, 11:03 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I noticed that on the M1 i got my first LASER warning from my Bell Euro 550. I couldnt see anything anywhere!!

I get loads of false alarms for RADAR, but wonder if you can get false alarms from detectors for LASER?????

Jza
Old 26 June 2001, 11:20 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've had a few strange laser signals picked up, no idea what could be generating them though
Old 26 June 2001, 01:37 PM
steve_s
Scooby Regular

Whilst we're talking about radar detectors - i have a bel 980 and it's not detecting the new gatso's that are springing up anyone having similar probs?
steve s
Old 26 June 2001, 02:00 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Re laser guns

You dont need to be stopped to get a NIP - thought you did but that aint the case

Re the 14 days - which is rather tenous anyway as long as they've sent it within 14 days of the offence then you've had it!

Solution

Buy a laser jammer
Old 26 June 2001, 02:28 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

My mate has a Valentine 1 with is very impressive. Spot on for Laser and Radar. The only thing which screws it up is B&Q's automatic door opened, but it is quite difficult to get over 70 in B&Q car park.
Old 26 June 2001, 02:31 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're just not trying hard enough
Old 26 June 2001, 04:08 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

The Laser alerts when you go right under a bridge are from the fog sensors they use.

They fire a laser at the ground and measure the intensity of the reflection.

Bri
Old 26 June 2001, 09:15 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by steve McCulloch:
<B>Re laser guns

You dont need to be stopped to get a NIP - thought you did but that aint the case

Re the 14 days - which is rather tenous anyway as long as they've sent it within 14 days of the offence then you've had it!

Solution

Buy a laser jammer[/quote]

Doesn't there need to be a photograph though if you're not stopped ?

Surely there needs to be hard evidence with your plate on it ?
Old 26 June 2001, 09:34 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Sorry, my mistake.

[This message has been edited by ca (edited 26 June 2001).]
Old 26 June 2001, 11:00 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Gizmo555

No - this is not the case

I recently went past some over a bridge (I was cycling!) I questioned them on this - they were quite friendly for coppers.... told me that no you did'nt need to be stopped and they did not need any more evidence - said it was like shelling pees!

The bridge is a good spot for them over the M5 Between Jn 15/Jn 14

If it was me I would dispute it - after all how can they prove it - you have a point imho!

I guess they are affecting expecting that most people will pay up and accept 3 points - I certainly would not
Old 27 June 2001, 09:44 AM
networx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NickP:
<B>I regularly get laser alerts which I assume are false. However, they do seem to occur in the same places in time - normally under bridges. I thought it might be the transition from shade to bright sun that triggered it. [Bel 990i].

I have had one false laser alert at night - no idea what that was!

It's got to the point where I'm finding it difficult to 'trust' the laser alert, so I don't brake that hard anymore....

Nick[/quote]

If your get laser alerts from under bridges they are using some sort of traffic counting system, which is operating using a laser sensor.

Old 27 June 2001, 09:47 AM
networx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>My mate has a Valentine 1 with is very impressive. Spot on for Laser and Radar. The only thing which screws it up is B&Q's automatic door opened, but it is quite difficult to get over 70 in B&Q car park.[/quote]

Your mates Valentine 1 has X band still turned on. You can turn this off within the programming mode. This will stop any false alarms from automatic doors.
Old 27 June 2001, 09:50 AM
networx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gizmo555:
<B>My other half may have been targeted by Police on motorway tump with laser gun. She was keeping up with flow of traffic but's worried she may get ticket.

She wasn't stopped but does anyone know if they tend to use cameras on mobile motorway guns ?

Cheers[/quote]

If they were using a laser gun and she did not gat pulled over. Then the Laser Gun was attached to a video, This would then take your picture. They then have the 14 days to post the nip to you.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by networx (edited 27 June 2001).]
Old 27 June 2001, 11:24 AM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Steve S,

If you mean the Truvello cameras, as found on the A14, then they don't have a radar to detect. They use Piezo sensors on the road surface to detect car speed.

Rob C
Old 27 June 2001, 01:24 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I spent half an hour at a radar trap a week ago. Plod stands with a laser gun on a tripod along with a video camera. He has to form the opinion that you are speeding and then fires the laser and if he is proved correct the camera captures the front of the car along with the reg. This is then printed in very good quality and overlayed with relevant information. You are not stopped (unless you are a bike coming in the direction of the camera) and the first you know is when the NIP drops through the door. The camera is focused at a certain point on the road where you will be photographed. The system captures offenders on both sides of the road.

The site I visited was a straight road, with houses both sides and a school at one end. Limit was 30mph, Plod had his threshold set 'way' above this and was still capturing 'offenders', a number at 49mph!