ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sti5 owner comments...i need YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2001, 12:38 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam

I have owned an STI V before, so feel I know what I'm talking about.

Gearing wise, you might want to do some reading before commenting.

FACT STI V has the SAME gearing as a P1

FACT STI V Type R has shorter gearing than a P1. But how much real difference that makes is debateable.

FACT The P1 is an STI V with all the mods plus some extra. Engine wise it is identical, phase II etc just ECU remped for UK.

FACT P1 has been timed to 60 in 4.7 secs. Ive not seen any STI V Type R's with a lot lower than this, so comments like clean pair of heels might not apply.

What will make a difference to Spudgun is the Leda suspension he has fitted. One of the weakest areas on an STI, and why it will struggle to keep up on the road with an RB5 and P1.

Spudgun

Not down a dealership, but off to help at Church creche as I'm a happy clappy.
Still enjoying the UK300 need the PPP desperately though.

Jonathan
Old 24 June 2001, 12:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>how does the sti5 compare against a P1, ukppp etc.[/quote]

I thought this had been answered, or at least asked, before. Doesn't the solution involve pink dampers?
Old 24 June 2001, 09:53 AM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Talking

ok, started this new thread to remove any connection with the 330 posts i had
basically, bought an sti5 on friday. its immaculate and a revelation. i have done all the SIDC reading etc, and tried searching ( as slooowww as ever )
basically, it would be nice to hear from others who own one of these great cars.
for example, what are the things to look out for, what goes wrong.
how does the sti5 compare against a P1, ukppp etc.
do you , like me, think it seems to be better built than a uk car. do the wing mirrors fold in...still aint worked it out yet
what upgrades have you done, what do you have planned?
seems to be a number of threads on sti5 lately, hopefully this will answer a lot of the questions.

see... a positive post,its a general question about a scooby, in the general forum ...a rarity
Old 24 June 2001, 10:11 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spudgun

Its a great car, is there really a bad one ?. Fourth in my list of Impreza's (as std, but yours isnt ). I personally still rate the RB5 WR ahead of it, but for reasons other than the driving factor. Not quite as good either as a P1 or UK300 PPP, but for the amount of money you spent on it you cant go wrong, and with all the mods thrown in. Build wise I would say that out of my 6 Impreza's the STI was neither better or worse built. The first owner cetainly lost some serious money on it.

For a 2 year old car you have one of the best buys Ive seen. Enjoy . With the mods you have it would certainly show a clean pair of heals to most Impreza's P1 inc.

Jonathan

Old 24 June 2001, 10:18 AM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

chins
cheers for the reply
what are you doing on here at this time on a sunday? aren't the car dealeships open now?
how are you getting on with the uk300?
Old 24 June 2001, 11:09 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont know what jonathon is talking about.

In stamdard form, you should be able to show a clean pair of heals to a p1 since you have a higher final drive ratio, meaning a lower top speed, but who cares?

Sti gearing is really well placed.

But aside from that, on the road there little to choose between any imprezas.

It would take a drag strip or track to highlight real differences in terms of performance.

For mods, the sti 5 has phase two heads and a much improved standard intercooler.

Apparently the phase two heads mean the engine responds very well to tuning.

Originally it was revealed that the phase 2 engine is very fuel sensitive. Unless you have a link or the like in there, I wouldn't run it on anything less than 97 and octane booster.

You are in the fortunate position that Bob Rawle, has exactly the same car as you, so give him a call or send him a mail, and he will tell you specific dos and donts.

He has tried plenty of stuff, and will recommend the best routes to you. But get your cheque book ready, cos once started you wont stop.

Enjoy it .
Old 24 June 2001, 07:04 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Gear ratios for P1 and STI Version 5 Four door.

P1,
1st - 3.166
2nd - 1.882
3rd - 1.296
4th - 0.972
5th - 0.738
reverse - 3.333
Final drive ratio - 4.444

STI Version 5 Four door:
1st - 3.166
2nd - 1.882
3rd - 1.296
4th - 0.972
5th - 0.738
reverse - 3.333
Final Drive ratio - 4.444

WREXY.

Old 24 June 2001, 09:13 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Couldnt help but notice someone mention sti5 suspension there, mines has uprated sti springs that are as hard as buggery, and the car does get a little skittish over a series of bumps, what are the options for changing the suspension on an sti5 and more importantly what to/cost etc.
Old 24 June 2001, 10:00 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Smile

ptholt
mine has the leda fitted by scoobysport. the car came with it already done
IMHO, its a lot better than the prodrive one i had on my old my00. the prodrive one felt skittish, i didnt think it was all that in the end.
check scoobysport website for prices, but i think the prodrive one cost me 1.7k.
Old 24 June 2001, 11:33 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Cool

...or if you're really tight, you could get some second hand P1 suspension, I paid £350 for mine, and it's excellent! Bargain of the century IMO!
Old 24 June 2001, 11:51 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Spudgun,

The Leda would have been fitted at Leda not SS. They set up ride height, corner weights etc.

Steve.
Old 25 June 2001, 07:46 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

your probably right steve. i just looked at the scoobysport receipt, so i assumed it was done by them.
not that it matters to me, but is it possible to go directly to leda in braintree to have it fitted, and do u think this would reduce costs i.e. no middle man ( sory pete ) others reading this might be interested
steve,perhaps i should have said leda suspension "organised and farmed out by" scoobysport
incidentally, does this mean prodrive suspension isnt prodrive suspension seeing as its not fitted by prodrive? how about days of chelmsford suspension, nah, doesnt have the same ring
silliness aside, i think the leda is superior. this is only my opinion, i'm no expert, but ive owned both types.
cars steering also feels slightly lighter than my old car, easier to drive, and a LOT less understeer.
how can this be?
Old 25 June 2001, 10:54 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Old 25 June 2001, 11:41 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

FACT: When i read spudguns original post, i read sti 5 type r when in fact he only wrote sti 5, which explains my comments re gearing. My mistake.

FACT: I realise they are both phase 2 engines, my comment about breathing mods was not anti p1 as they are the same, it was a pro phase 2 engine comment.

FACT: There are plenty of tests which have clocked type rs with shorter gearing of 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. Read Car's article on the 22B which states tests for type rs at this figure. Obviously journalists test must be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, look at sidc faq. and you will see some of the measured o-60s.
Old 26 June 2001, 08:30 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Adam

The first line of your post states

"dont know what jonathan is talking about"

My post was only to state I do. Aggresivly written, showing my lack of command of the english lanugage

Saying all that I would say that in the years Ive been reading car mags, and my wife would testify to how many Ive bought, I'd love to see the road test for a STI Type R @ 4.3 secs to 60. The best Autocar could manage with the 22B with the Type R gearing and a larger engine was 5.0 secs. So is the gearing a hinderance not a help ?. Also bear in mind that any figures taken from Japan will be cars run on 100 Ron, and not 97.

Jonathan
Old 26 June 2001, 08:42 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Chins,

On a quoted 0 to 60, shorter gearing may well be a hinderance as a second change before 60 into third if required would have an adverse effect on the time.

As for the real world, we all know that 0 to 60 means squat

D
Old 26 June 2001, 08:48 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Jonathon,

A Type R was tested at 0-60 in 4.3 secs in Performance Car......
Old 26 June 2001, 09:16 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Gawd....... You've got stupidly slow cars over there

Best I've seen on multiple runs in mine is 4.2 for 0 to 60mph ( Two up with half a tank of petrol)

Aahh.... But then, I've only got a 2.5ltr motor

Richard
Old 26 June 2001, 09:58 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

sorry for agressive rebuttal, i'll get off my horse now.

i remember anders car being tested by driven some time ago.

I believe he only had an SS exhaust at teh time.

They got consistent 3.8 up to 60, until they destroyed his clutch which they then went on to replace.

I am only 23 but have been reading car mags for around 10 years, so yes, my er sister can testify to that too. I still have the magazine (albeit in another country) with the 22B review, before they tested it at the time when everyone thought it had 350bhp. It was in that article that they reveal the tests relating to type rs doing 4.3, and on this basis they guessed taht the 22B would be sub 4ish.

Old 26 June 2001, 12:26 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Leigh, correct me if im wrong here, but i was under the impression that the p1 was just sti suspension but with different springs.......

£350 sounds a lot just for a set of springs isnt it ?

Old 26 June 2001, 02:02 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Moray did 3.9 secs (in the wet) in his car when I was in it about a year ago!!

Only on one of those on car machines though!
Old 26 June 2001, 02:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

you mean the accelermoters which integrate acceleration to get speed and are accurate to 0.1 of a second?

Old 26 June 2001, 03:38 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Having driven a Version 5 Sti, ridden in a P1 and owning a Type RA V-Limited, I think the real difference the short gearing makes is to really haul the car out of corners. The gears are soooo close and low that it definitely pulls a few yards on the "normal" geared cars, and feels less laggy.

Like leigh, i got my hands on P1 suspension (phew! i paid £350 too!) and yup - just how the car should be!

With an HKS exhaust, inlet and dump valve, it's very quick, very raw and brilliant fun. I'll risk crucifiction here and say i found the P1 a little too... well, nice! More refined and softer. But then again it was standard and as a daily long distance car it was much easier tolive with. The only downside to mine is that its gearing does stop you cruising much over 100mph for long periods but then that was a deliberate attempt to keep my licence! Horses for courses and all that.

Russ
Old 26 June 2001, 06:01 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Adam

Yeah thats the thing
Old 26 June 2001, 06:02 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Some of these machines can somehow work out the bhp? - but dont know how accurate they are supposed to be?