Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY did the SIDC not bother?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2002, 11:38 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This weekend Billing Aquadrom was host to the largest gathering of japanesse autos in the UK, every mark had thier own club in attendance, trade stalls etc..... in short a fantastic weekend.

However, no SIDC. ?

I was under the asumption that the SIDC was one of the best drivers clubs in the UK, how could they miss a meet like this?

Any ideas?

Paul
Old 28 July 2002, 11:50 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

I could not agree more poc i will not be renewing my sidc membership again.

JIMI
Old 28 July 2002, 11:58 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Angry

POC..... Are you a member of the SIDC?
If yes then as a member you should be entitled to an answer.........try their website and let us know.... perhaps they need support from their membership to help organise things.
If your not a member perhaps you should join and help.

Sorry this sounds like I'm having a pop at you POC not intended!What I say goes for me too! Just a bit p***ed off thats all.

I attended the show and IMHO the whole event was a bit of a shambles....not least the Scooby area if thats what it was. For such a popular show I was amazed at the small trade turn out and those that did turn up where doted at random all around the central area. Interesting show though with some amazing cars. Traffic around the show area and to and from the exit was chaos too.
Old 29 July 2002, 12:03 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

top **** of a day but the only club i saw was the flat four what happened
Old 29 July 2002, 12:50 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

I am glad I chose to go to Kames
Old 29 July 2002, 01:07 AM
ChrisB

Yes, Kames... expertly organised, well run, lots of laughs and a great time all round.
Old 29 July 2002, 01:10 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Same time next week then Chris?

All Scottish events are like that, I just wished I lived nearer!!!!
Old 29 July 2002, 08:13 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SIDC or not, it was still a top day out. I agree with the comment about traffic chaos though - no marshals, no signs, and I personally couldn't even find the way to drive to the (mostly) Scooby area until I stumbled upon it on the way out!

If I have anything to criticise SIDC for, it's not that they didn't turn up, but that they didn't mention beforehand that they were short of volunteers for the event. I wouldn't have minded running a stall for a couple of hours, but nobody asked It was the same at the Rallyday on Saturday too, which was a shame.

Old 29 July 2002, 08:22 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Question

Previous engagement at the Rally Supercar Day at Castle Coombe, perhaps?
Old 29 July 2002, 08:30 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

No, they weren't there either. There was just a banner tied to the trees in the car park. That was a particular shame given the huge number of Scoobies that occupied the car park - people had to walk past them all to get to the rest of the show. An SIDC stand at the end of that row would have been really popular, IMHO.
Old 29 July 2002, 08:42 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Guys, all committee members had prior arrangements for the weekend, but I'm sure you were able to enjoy the events without us being there.

Last year I went to both and given the choice, I would have been at Castle Coombe again this year. Maybe I missed it all, but Billing was just a grass carpark with jap cars there, last year. Castle Coombe was very good and very well organised. It is MTR's equivalent of our Donington National Day.

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and didn't get too sun burnt

SIDC will be fully represented at Trax.
Old 29 July 2002, 09:05 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Was our daughters' 2nd birthday plus a large family do for another 1st birthday. Otherwise I would have loved to have gone.

Anyway, apart from the "alledged" grass spinning antics of a few clubs Billing is a show-n-shine day. We did that at Donington which incidentally took a huuuuuge amount of organising.
Old 29 July 2002, 09:28 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I am missing something here.

Jimi, someone says that, for an entrance fee, you can park your car in their field. Because no SIDC committee members wanted to park their cars in the same field, you are so bitterly dissapointed you have told the world that you will not be renewing your SIDC membership.

Had there been some committee members present, what would you have had them do for you? Is this something that the people who you paid at the gate should have been doing for you?
Old 29 July 2002, 09:53 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think you have the wrong end of the stick Pete.

Jimi/I were/are peev'd because this is one of the biggest shows in the UK, the SIDC is one of the biggest drivers clubs in the UK.

Yet no mention at all from them of lack of volunteers etc..... just no show at all!

I am 100% sure that if the SIDC had posted on here, loads of people would have been willing to help out.

Seems a shame that subaru as one of the most popular marks in the UK had no confirmed presence at the show!

P
Old 29 July 2002, 10:01 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

One point I'd like to make is, that although the show may only be a "show-n-shine", there where plenty of people there that day who probably wouldn't go to a show like Donny. I overhead several conversations amongst people, often couples, who were using the show to have a look at the cars, "in the flesh", who I assume were considering purchasing a Subaru/Evo/Supra etc etc.

Surely it's in the SIDC's interest to be showing their collective face at an event like this : Subaru owners often get accused of being "elitist" in my humble view, and to say that the SIDC gets nothing from shows like this will only encourage this.

Ask not what the show can do for you, but what you can do for the show !

( Surely someone in the club was free that weekend, if only to put up a stall and hand out some leaflets ? If I'd known support in the SIDC club was that bad, I'dve offered myself. And, BTW, I am a member .... )
Old 29 July 2002, 10:01 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

POC I suspect that many people went to CC and this is where we did have some people volunteering to put up club banners and organise parking areas etc. As CC offered tons of trade stades, personal appearance by Alistair McRae, track time and the chance to see a whole host of genuine former WRC/Group A/Group B cars.

Of the two events, this is the one that SIDC were promoting, as we knew Darin and Brian would put on a good, exciting day.
Old 29 July 2002, 10:05 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

POC I think I have the wrong stick
Old 29 July 2002, 10:09 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh right, so the Billing meet was not worthy of having the SIDC attend because CC was thought of as being a better day?

Despite what they 'thought the event was going to be, it was a fantastic day, thousands of cars, every jap mark was catered for, apart from subaru - obviously.

Would it have been really that hard to have a small tent with some leaflets?
Old 29 July 2002, 10:22 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

POC

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'dissing the day. I'm just saying that if I had been free, I would have gone to Castle Coombe. This is because I would have wanted to see the 6R4s and other historic rally cars and because it was MLRs national day and they supported our national day.

Billing had a good turn out last year, but I really felt the organisers need to do more than rope off some areas.

As it was, I was supporting a charity event for a local childrens hospice, that raised over £2000 of much needed funds.
Old 29 July 2002, 10:24 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

But even at CC there was no SIDC presence - we had hundreds of Scoobs parked up in a line (which was very ) and not really any info. I thought this was fine until I saw the MLR area - large banner and a manned stall with leaflets and info, very impressive

Incidently - I would have helped, and I am a member of the SIDC Just a bit sad to see the MLR boys looking so organised and friendly and nothing in the Scooby area

Excellent show anyway - and Pete - was there not ment to be a Scoobysport stand? All we saw was a sign saying "scoobysport" and a nice bit of grass! Shame really, in our small group we had 2 people wanting back boxes, 4 buying dumpvalves and I wanted some clear front indicators!

If you need any help next time, I'll volunteer - jennifer.mawer@hants.gov.uk

Jen
Old 29 July 2002, 10:25 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

It was disappointing to see the fine collection of cars by the relevant clubs for Supra's, Skylines, MR2's etc etc, and only a scattered response by the Subaru community. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the Subaru "spot", only to realise there wasn't one !

Pete, I don't (think) POC is having a go at you personally, or even the committe of the SIDC. But, if a decision not to be represented at a show is made, perhaps this could be mentioned on the relevant forums, so that others of the club who WOULD like to see the club represented can offer their services.

Just a thought...
Old 29 July 2002, 10:25 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Ah - sorry Pete - you obviously answered whilst I was typing

Glad you raised so much cash - excellent cause
Old 29 July 2002, 10:27 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looked like attendance was double from last year. Unfortunately the stands were half of last year and arranged very badly.
Still, it was great to see such a wide range of cars and lovely weather.

Nick
Old 29 July 2002, 05:56 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi peeps

When we got to billing we drove around for ages to try and find a collection of impreza`s so we could camp next to them or show off are cars,but we had no luck as there was hardly any around on saturday.

We walked round all over the place to no avill.

On sunday loads of impreza`s turned up but there was not really anywhere for them to park together so we were very dissapointed to say the least.

Can you believe that the SUZUKI CAPPUCCINO club had a stand right smack bang center ofthe show!
All of us inpreza people had no were to go!

I do not have any problem with the SIDC i am just a little dissapointed,thats all.

JIM
Old 29 July 2002, 07:32 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

For those who actually went to billing. i had a stand just in front of the scoob area (silver my98) and i must say that for organisation this is the worst show i have ever done. I wasnt just the cars that didnt have allocated places but traders aswell. I too spent ages trying to find my pitch to discover there wasnt one and it was a case of simply park were you please. I was also dissapointed by the lack of scoobs and the general mood of the show. I arrived early saturday morning and greeted people with a few doughnuts etc and all i got was shrugged shoulders and shook heads, i mean come on get a life boring gits. Definately not going there again.
Old 29 July 2002, 07:48 PM
Shorla
Scooby Regular

Whats the point in the club going "last year we went it was just a patch of grass with cars parked on it" fair enoungh but if people put effort in, billing could be really really big. Anyway, apart from that there were some really nice cars and got chatting to some nice people.

The Granada sport club was better organised than ours-tried to park on theirs but they chased after me in their hhhuuuggggeeee estates and their beards.
Old 29 July 2002, 09:55 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

JAE was really big for some car clubs...just not SIDC...very poor.
Old 29 July 2002, 11:07 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

IMHO no excuse for a no show on Sunday to the biggest Jap car show this year. Went to dono and enjoyed watching the cars on the curcuit but 200 scoobies, i.e. a single mark is not as interesting as the representation of just about every japanese car model around.
For a number of reasons including warrenty issues insurance costs etc I like many others will not track my new car,consequently the facination with track days has dwindled for me.
I may be wrong but I do feel that elitism is creeping in, the SIDC seems all about track days...tuning...and not much else....anyone else feel this way? Other clubs I,ve been involved with organise a lot more social events than anything else to integrate membership in the club.
Old 29 July 2002, 11:16 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

If SIDC members want more than just trackdays then they should say so at the AGM (which can't be too many months away).
Old 29 July 2002, 11:25 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dave So are you saying that we should not pass comment here or what? I am sure the SIDC would be interested in any positive comments from people on Scoobynet , the largest subaru forum in the UK, in order to form some type of agenda for discussion at the AGM meeting

Quick Reply: WHY did the SIDC not bother?