Clutch Judder Part II

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2002, 08:14 AM
donaldm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

HI there,

Got a P1 just a little over three weeks ago.
After letting the car warm up for a few mins, I'd then take it easy and poodle down the road.... but always with this annoying clutch judder. I have posted lots of questions about this on the p1 owners club web site and many others.
It seems that it a 'scooby by design' type thing.

Anyway I had a replacement done two days ago, unfortunately, every time I push the car hard, between 3rd, 4th and 5th, there's a momentary pause, like loss of power...... :-( This didn't happen on the old clutch....

Can anyone please reassure me its just cos its a new clutch... and has any other P1 owner, had the same prob when they first picked up theirs from new...?

Cheers
Old 26 July 2002, 11:53 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

IMHO
Judder caused (as explained to me once so take with a pinch of salt) by eneven wear on the friction plate, a bit like when your brake discs warp, had it all the time on my 200 until I did some 4k RPM starts at a speed trial and the problem went away as soon as the smell of burning clutch had dissipated.

Power loss could just be the new clutch biting, probably needs wearing in a bit, it might take some getting used to seeing as you've just changed it just like any other sacrificial part, imagine how your brakes feel immediately after a change.

Hope this helps

Dave
(Based on a 200sx, your home may be at risk if these products contain nuts)
Old 26 July 2002, 11:58 AM
donaldm
Scooby Regular

Mr DJ....

Thanx for coming back, I got intouch with the dealers, who changed it, they said the P1 doesnt suffer any power loss, they too explained as the clutch is hydrolic, after time it should adjust itself, as well as the clutch plates!! >>!! but its a bugger when u have had a car with the original clutch and is bedded in, it was amazing, toe 'n' heel and all ' that...

But now, its all v-new... wha tu reckon suffer the new one till its bedded in?? not bad to get a new clutch on a 25k car under warranty... :-)
Old 26 July 2002, 12:03 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Not bad to have a warranty in the first place!

There's nothing like living on the edge!

Dave