Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti 5 or Evo 5

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2002, 06:56 PM
Zero7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at buying either a Sti 5 or an Evo 5. I used to own an Sti-2 many years ago, had a test drive in a Evo 5 today, can't say I was really that impressed, it cornered really well but it didn't have the neck jolting turbo kick that my old sti had. Have the later Sti's still got the manic aceleration? I can't say I was overly impressed with the Evo's rawness, however the power band did seem to last forever... I'm even more confussed as to which way to go....
Old 23 July 2002, 07:07 PM
adamm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

get a wrx wti type R v5 for that kind of madness...
Old 23 July 2002, 07:09 PM
C
Scooby Regular

had a p1 - basically an sti5 - now got an evo 5 - would choose an evo 5 any day of the week now honestly.

It's yellow too so the best colour! lol!

Chris
Old 23 July 2002, 07:20 PM
Zero7
Scooby Regular

adamm,

I love the 2 door style but i'm not too sure about the lack of ABS (smashed my sti2 5 days afer having it 3 years ago)... I've also heard the back end of the typr R's can be a little twitchy, plus they rev higher which I presume the are not as compliant on longer drives. I was looking at getting a 4 door.
Old 23 July 2002, 07:22 PM
Zero7
Scooby Regular

C,

What made you change from the P1 to the Evo 5, - As I said, the acceleration just seemed more aggressive (initially) on my old sti 2.
Old 23 July 2002, 07:56 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Hi zero7,

my side of things maybe slightly different tho..

Always wanted a scooby (not ness. a p1) but was offered one very cheap (advantage of the motor trade) - loved the car to bits but found it relatively 'bland' (best word i can think of!) - lets face facts, we buy these cars for thier reputation and performance but if we are conservative people we wouldn't buy cars with silly big vents & wings...

The P1 was tuned and so is the evo - the acceleration on the evo is manic (soon to be much much quikcer tho. lol!)but the p1 was more smooth in its power delivery - now i'm used to the AYC i prefer the feel of it to just pure mechanics on the p1..

on the looks scale the evo is just so tough looking - the p1 would pass 7 no-one would notice it (apart from the noise) - ervyone & i mean every single person stops, stares, waves, chaps etc - even a couple of old biddies were pointing and waving it me!

That to me is part of the fun of having one of these cars to be honest...

Chris
Old 23 July 2002, 08:20 PM
Zero7
Scooby Regular

Hi C,

I take on board what your saying about the looks and I agree the Evo looks very agressive, but what you are saying is contrary to what I have experienced today. Could it be the fact that you need to tune the Evo's to aquire manic acceleration?
Old 23 July 2002, 08:29 PM
C
Scooby Regular

p1 never had manic acceleration when it was standard or tuned - just nice power delivery! - but then again I can't leave a car standard lol
Old 23 July 2002, 08:43 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sounds like another one for a Type RA, has manic driveability and 4 doors just get a LTD version with all the toys.
Old 23 July 2002, 08:54 PM
C
Scooby Regular

nah just buy an evo & be hardcore out of the box...