ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Yet another Idiot Impreza Owner

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2002, 06:11 PM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Why o Why!! 3pm this afternoon, Netherton area, wakefield, Dark Blue Impreza driving very very close to the rear of my car, whilst my wife was driving with both my baby and child in the back, My wife was so intimidated, she had to pull over into the petrol station and let him past. Its a good job i wasnt driving!!
Old 23 July 2002, 06:20 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

He was probably trying to read those inane "baby on board stickers"
regards
dave(with baby but no stickers)
Old 23 July 2002, 09:07 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Angry

****ing disgrace to other scooby drivers like me he should go and buy an old banger or a merc
Old 23 July 2002, 09:12 PM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Angry

I just dont understand it, A nova etc... i would expect but another Scooby owner, its madness and very dangerous.
Old 23 July 2002, 09:20 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

She did the right thing. If someone's stressing you out by tailgating, pull over. I do occasionally for the truly insane, then just join after. They may have won a private battle.

Unfortunately, no-one is going to be able to change the driving habits of the mentally affected.
Old 23 July 2002, 09:20 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

You know full well why......

It's because early Impreza prices have fallen so sharply that an early model is now easily available to Mr 19 year old, with the help of mummy's insurance.

It's not the car, it's the driver behind the wheel.
Old 23 July 2002, 09:45 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear but it happens with all makes of car.
I could probably post about the same thing every time I go out in my car. Agree with previous reply that its the driver.
Old 23 July 2002, 11:42 PM
LEE-69
Scooby Regular

I just dont understand it, A nova etc... i would expect but another Scooby owner, its madness and very dangerous.
but if the nova had www.issacuhnt.co.uk on it it would of been in front
Old 24 July 2002, 12:36 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

ditto what Richard has said, ... its gonna happen more and more.....

Rich.
Old 24 July 2002, 12:44 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Ditto again! i'm getting to the point, where i don't feel safe driving to & from w*rk anymore, it scares me at times But, i could never justify paying what i do, to keep the car exclusively for weekends <shakes head>
Old 24 July 2002, 09:03 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wife get the number plate?

Police always interested to hear about these things...

Mak.
Old 24 July 2002, 09:08 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Old, early imprezas are now well withing the grasp of the local thugs' price range. You even see them on council estates.
Old 24 July 2002, 09:11 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Even on Council Estates! What is the world coming to?
Old 24 July 2002, 10:38 AM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

Thats right LEE-69, you've been Novataken!
Old 24 July 2002, 10:52 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

to be honest, your wife is in the wrong. She should of put her foot down and given a good race against the other scooby owner. Even the kid would love it! That is what having a powerful car is all about. If you wanted to just drive with kids, get a people carrier!!

Old 24 July 2002, 10:52 AM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Red face

I don't wish to be a snob. But whilst at my dealer on Friday I observed a very, how can I say it, rough looking chaps being shown around a MY00 Impreza Turbo. They looked like they has just come off a building site, dirt and all...

Again, don't want to be a snob, but it just made me wonder...
Old 24 July 2002, 11:00 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Gareth60 you do sound like a snob,
they may have come off a building site - they may own a demolition company for all you know. I hate bigoted ***** that look down on people because they are not attired correctly when viewing cars!
So what did it exactly make you wonder? How can those scum drive an impreza - get a life pal

Deeply offended - because I work on a building site!!
Old 24 July 2002, 11:23 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Talking

gravelexpress- I think gareth60 was being ironic

Or was he?
Old 24 July 2002, 11:44 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

FFS

So its only people who can afford a 13K car that drive like tw*ts ?

Wahts the limit on car value above which people dont drive like tw*ts £15K £16K ? Its feasible I suppose that someone buying a euro-import might drive badly but had they gone for a UK car then they'd drive OK. Oh hang on - no that theory is a load of bollox 'cos I've seen 40K 4x4s and 30K beemers driving like tw*ts - and a £100 clapped out marina. Hmmm There must be common thread. - I've got it ! - They're driven by kn*bs.

Some People drive like kn*bs
Some of these people will drive Imprezas

Deano
Old 24 July 2002, 11:49 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Smile

It would be nice if you had to have your attitude tested before you could buy a car. Although it might put mercedes out of business...
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

I agree with Deano entirely - what difference does money have to driving skill, apart from that people with money can afford to have more accidents. Same goes for age - what makes you think young people are more of a danger than older people? Not having a go at anyone, but just trying to put the point of the young (25) and poor across...
dsmith
Scooby Regular

...and BMW....

...and Range Rover.....

blah blah blah
Justin P1
Scooby Newbie

Whether your'e in a Scooby, a Nova or a McLaren F1, there's no excuse for bad driving. When road users see an Impreza, they know it's a performance car. The need to prove it just isn't there. Bad driving, especially of this nature annoys me immensely. It's drivers like that who stop the rest of us from getting decent insurance quotes, not to mention the stereotypical bad name that could result from such actions. Ther last thing we need is for us Scooby drivers to get a bad rep because of the handful in the hundreds who can't drive responsibly.
Old 24 July 2002, 11:51 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

gareth60,

Conversely, why should I have to turn up dressed as a yuppie to have to get someone to speak to me in a BM garage ? In a 1-2 year old car ?

We all know how everyone judges others on physical appearance...
Old 24 July 2002, 11:55 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Easy with the judgements folks. There are plenty of people out there who either can't or don't want to spend £23k ish on a car. Its great that they can now afford this great car. Only last week I had a guy in a brand new Merc (don't know their range too well but it was the big bloated v.expensive one :-) ) all over me, weaving in and out of M25 traffic trying intimidate and get past. Your wage has got nothing to do with your driving and attitude to other drivers.
Having said all that, sounds like this guy was an idiot. Probably spoiling for a fight without thinking about consequences. Mind you, I bet we've all done something stupid like this at some time in our driving career. Know I have and there are plenty of threads i've read on this board that would suggest others have too.
Old 24 July 2002, 11:59 AM
Justin P1
Scooby Newbie

Hiya RichardPON I'm 21 with a P1. I've had it since last Nov and I pride myself on driving it properly within the confines of the law. I'm forever getting boy racers in Novas and the like on my rear bumper after a race. ok, on an open road it's one thing, but there's no reason to put your foot down in a 30, 40 or 50mph built up zone. It's just dangerous. I see boy racers being pulled over constantly around my home town of Worcester every night. So far I havn't been pulled once (touch wood!)I agree that there's a big possibility of the younger drivers of performance cars driving dangerously and to the best of my knowledge, when my friend (who is 19) tried to get insurance on a standard 1998 turbo with 36000 on the clock, the cheapest insurance quote he got was 5k.
Old 24 July 2002, 12:04 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

my better half, always seems to be bullied by mad drivers,
tailgaters, undertaking @ motorways etc.

what pees her off is @ 30/40 zones when she stays at the limits there are idiots tailgating...so what she does is either.

slow right down so they naturally forced to overtake

or (she oftens does this) slam the brakes so they have to back off. even though she nevers listens when i tell her its dangerous (anyone got one that actually listens to you)

when i'm the passenger i have wierd twinges in me and wish i was driving

oh yeah she drives a sAXO.

why do people pick on small engined cars and not anything similar to their own.

to$$ers
Old 24 July 2002, 12:11 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Money makes no Differnece to how you drive. I had a mate who was a bad driver when he was earning 20k a year and he was still a bad driver when he was earning £105 every two weeks after getting the sack.

Apperances seem to be a major thing in top marque Showrooms walk in booted and suited and a 1 or 2 yr old car and they are more than happy to help, walk in like you are off the building site and they will pretty much Ignore you. Walk in to a Mainstream showroom and it doenst matter what you look like.

At the end of the day if you are a Kn0b driver then it will make no differnce if you are in a RR Silver Shadow or a Robin Reliant you are still a Kn0b driver.
Old 24 July 2002, 12:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
what difference does money have to driving skill, apart from that people with money can afford to have more accidents. Same goes for age - what makes you think young people are more of a danger than older people?
I saw the grin at the end, but still...

When insurance premiums are means-tested rather than based on payout statistics, I'm sure the insurance companies will be pleased to fleece the rich buggers as much as they can. Ever thought about why company directors don't pay an unnoticeable ten grand for a premium and poor Wayne on the Council estate puts in a fiver?

Sorry folks, but what makes me think young people have more accidents is the fact that they do.

Brendan
(age 34, 3 minor crashes btwn age 20 and 24)
(oh, and damaged my Scoob at age 32))

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 7/24/2002 12:18:03 PM]
Old 24 July 2002, 12:35 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

> Sorry folks, but what makes me think young people have more accidents is the fact that they do.

Because of driver skill - not because of age! More and more young people are learning to drive now than ever before and so many of them are learning to pass the test on these 1 week crash (sorry couldn't help myself! ) courses rather than being taught to drive properly and gaining experience of different types of driving while with an instructor. Insurance companies cannot judge driver skill, so they decide to generalise by age and gender.

Quick Reply: Yet another Idiot Impreza Owner