Sponsored by:

ECU Reset for SUL?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 01:34 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've read over some time about resetting ECUs.
Now, as I am far from being technically minded, I would like some help here from those far more knowledgeable than I.

I have an MY98, which I try as much as poss to run on SUL.Will the ECU on my car notice the difference automatically or not? If not, then I assume I need to reset?
I am not sure I fully understand the effects of resetting or not, and indeed if it's necessary at all.
i.e. if I fill up with SUL, and the ECU doesn't know it, am I wasting my money??
Also, under what other kinds of conditions should an ECU be reset?

I'm sure this one's been done to death, but I'd appreciate some help with my specific questions.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 20 June 2001, 03:37 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Old 20 June 2001, 03:44 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

I reset my ecu recently and started running SUL, 2 ways of resetting either locating the terminals under your steering column (mine were taped) youll have 2 black and 2 green, connect black to black and green to green turn the ignition on full (not engine)and fully depress accelerator for a few seconds. Then drive trying to maintain a constant 20mph plus if possable for a few minutes your ecu should now reset and the check systems flash on the dash, disconnect the plugs again and thats that - or alt you can disconnect the battery for a minimum of half an hour which has the same effect. What i noticed was that straight away there was a smoother pull in low down revs ( a lot less rugged which i believe may have had something to do with the centre,back section of exhausts and air filter i had added now being noticed) the next day was a bit rough and was for the next 100 miles or so but after that it drives so much smoother and better, and i coincided it with filling up with sul and have noticed not only slight power gains, mostly smoother and more gradual distribution of torque but an improved petrol return - im now averaging 24-26mpg where as before that i struggled to hit 23 so for the sake of trying id highly reccomend it. It feels similar to when just having had a full service - everything has a bit more breath and spring.

hope this helps

Jamie

Old 21 June 2001, 12:44 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Hi

I changed from UL to SUL on my MY00 and it (the ECU) seemed to reset itself after about 2 fill ups - now much smoother, more power, and does about 4 more mpg.

A good perf upgrade!

Neil
Old 21 June 2001, 08:29 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Jamie,

Am I right in assuming that there is no real benefit to running SUL unless the ECU is reset?

I heard that on some MYs, the ECU resets itself.Do you know if this aplies to the MY98?

Thanks again

Steve
Old 21 June 2001, 01:06 PM
JW390898
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SPJ:

Am I right in assuming that there is no real benefit to running SUL unless the ECU is reset?

To be honest i couldnt tell you for sure if it was the resetting of the ecu or the change in fule begin that i did both at the same time, they way i asw it is that different people both reccommend each so why not do both and it cant do any harm to clear its memory when putting in a new fuel!

In answer no i dont know but i suspect it probably does help.

J
Thanks again

Steve[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>