Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep! The Local Traffic Cops Excel Again!

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 12:56 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

You are right, it's another speed camera rant, (but I've not had one before so I'm allowed).

I commute to and from Oswestry everyday on the A483. For the most part it's a dual carriageway, but as it gets to the other side of Wrexham it becomes a normal single lane 'A' road.
The problem is that it's very wide so traffic hopping is prevalent (i'm sure you can all quote roads like this in your area). Usually this doesn't create a major problem except that on the A483, there are chevrons in the middle of the road for 80% of it's length to discourage you from overtaking.
This is because the road has claimed a huge amount of lives over the last five years or so and I have seen examples of truly suicidal overtaking round bends, on the chevrons, in the hope that someone else is not doing the same thing coming the other way. If they are (and they have, regularly), then bang and it's usually carnage.
There has been lots of local support for the regular appearance of a speed camera or even visual monitoring by the local traffic division on this section to catch these people at it, and prosecute them accordingly.
All fine so far.

So what pray, do the idiots do?

They hide on a public footpath bridge over the road in a blacked out A-TEAM tranny, not at the short stretch where all the accidents have occurred, but at the only short section of dual carriageway (crawler lane on the inside due to a steep hill).
This is the safest place to overtake on the entire single width section of the A483. Ok, people may speed slightly but the section is so short and steep that it would be difficult to get up to really dangerous speeds.

On the way home last night there are two cars upside down on the section that has caused so much tragedy. A couple of miles later and there are the police, sitting in their van on the bridge again, with a motorcyclist a couple of miles further on pulling in the 'criminals'.

I just absolutely cannot express my feelings when arrogance like this is shown. I know it's been said many times before but surely this is a frightening and plain example of revenue first, safety second.

Sorry it was a bit long.

blubs
Old 20 June 2001, 01:11 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Yeah - agree with everything you say

I travel this road on my way to Wrexham.

I usually come via Shrewsbury and after following a queue of traffic consisiting of 79 cars following 23 artics following a small convoy of tractors, by the time I get to this nice wide road, the urge to "traffic hop" is strong.

Yes I know its dangerous and that's just the point. It is not speed per se that kills here, it is the vast amount of SLOW taffic on roads seemingly designed to frustrate.

JD
Old 20 June 2001, 01:15 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

How about stopping and asking them? Be interesting to hear their reply.

"Well, Mr.Blubs, the reason is simple, the donut shop is just round the corner, and its near to me mums for a cuppa"
Old 20 June 2001, 02:00 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Well it is only going to get worse. Unless we defeat their arguements about speeding and speed cameras.

I'm a new addition to the - fairly small - ABD National Committee. You'd be amazed what we manage to achieve with the small numbers and tiny revenue from the membership fee.

We need a larger membership base to:

1. Increase our influence
2. Increase revenue so that we can be more high-profile, thus generating more members, thus increasing our influence, etc.. etc..

Currently its a vicious circle. Everyone is swamped and doing the best that they can. We need other people who care passionately about cars/transport/individual freedoms to get involved!

The first step is to join the ABD (Call free on 0800 358 9955)

The second step is to get onto the ABD Members only mailing list (you'll get joined after joining) so that you can get a feel for what ABD are doing.

The membership fee is just 15 quid if you pay by credit card (12 quid if you pay by standing order)

That is just over 25p per week.

I tell you what. If any current scoobynet members (i.e. registered members up to todays date) join and decide at renewal that ABD membership is not worth the money, then I'll refund their first years fee out of my own pocket!!

Now, pick up that phone!

C

P.S. If anyone does join, please reply here. Let's get this ball rolling!
Old 20 June 2001, 02:14 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ca,

Just joined. Thanks for the info

blubs

ps that camera on the bridge has got quite a few people from my place of work so I'll put the phone number on our bulletin board here.
Old 20 June 2001, 02:15 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

blubs,
would this be the Chirk bypass by any chance?

ca,
I did join, I think, I paid by credit card, but haven't heard anything since. I'm waiting until my bill comes to see if they've debited it.

Martin.
Old 20 June 2001, 02:21 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by M_D_B:
<B>ca,
I did join, I think, I paid by credit card, but haven't heard anything since. I'm waiting until my bill comes to see if they've debited it.

Martin.[/quote]

Martin,

If you mail me at ca@setprv.net with your details (name, address, date you joined, etc..) I'll get someone to check.

PLEASE do this as if there is a hole in our join procedures (into which potential members could fall never to be seen again) then we MUST plug it ASAP!

Cheers,

C
Old 20 June 2001, 02:22 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by blubs:
<B>Ca,

Just joined. Thanks for the info

blubs
[/quote]

Blubs,

Great! Hope to see you on the mailing list soon!

Thanks,

C
Old 20 June 2001, 02:26 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

blubs,

I think I've got a fair idea where you work (I work 'among the stars' in Suffolk). Any other Scoobs there? I think I know someone there with a Scoob, but I'm loathe to ask him the next time we speak as it might be the wrong guy then I'll look like a prat.
Old 20 June 2001, 02:42 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Care to explain what the ABD do/are ?
Old 20 June 2001, 03:04 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by gregh:
<B>Care to explain what the ABD do/are ?[/quote]

Gregh,

Sorry - I assumed people would know about the organisation.

The Association of British Drivers was formed back in 1992 by a small group of people who were fed up with the UK [non] transport policy.

If you go to the ABD web page (www.abd.org.uk) and then click on Press Releases, you'll get a flavour of what the ABD battles for, on behalf of the ordinary motorist.

The ABD actively campaigns on the following topics:

Speed Cameras
Driver Education
Global Warming/Environmental scare stories
Policing
Speed Limits

etc..

The authorites drum into us that 'Speed Kills' thereby implying that if you are not speeding you won't kill.

People are too busy looking at their speedo instead of looking for hazards in the road.

C.
Old 20 June 2001, 04:10 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

M_D_B,

That's the one. I see a near miss on it almost every single day.

Carl,

I'm 'inbetween Scoobs' at the moment ( I had a red MY99 Turbo). There are a couple of Sports on the car park every day and one has all the Turbo extra's on it (spoiler etc). I'm not sure who's it is though except that it's WRC blue with gold wheels.

What's this 'among the stars' bit. You lost me there

blubs
Old 20 June 2001, 04:16 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Sorry -- when they renamed BT Labs as 'Adastral Park' there was all this stuff about 'come and work among the stars' ('ad astra' being 'to the stars' in Latin).
Old 20 June 2001, 04:27 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

D'oh!

Feel like a bit of a dull baboon now
Old 20 June 2001, 06:06 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've received a mail from another user telling me he has joined.

So that makes 2 definite new members today.

Anymore for anymore?

C
Old 20 June 2001, 07:28 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

count me in i'll join the weekend as i'm away from brum at the moment.but did catch the news tonite:
dr wots it the mass murderer
opening of parliament
drugs outside a school in brum fuzz doing nothing
and oh yes they are going to use smart cats eyes to catch speeding motorists on a couple of years time.
Thats it!! wot priorities do our police have that they waste money and time on even more devious ways to catch honest ctizens out!!!any law that catches out 1000000 citizens every year is a bad law.So come on blair do something about it.

I have a question for the abd:-
does ABD contact police chiefs to put them on the spot too and publish thier replies?
Old 20 June 2001, 08:11 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

navigator,

I'm fairly new to the ABD so am not clued up on all aspects. I suspect the police chiefs cite operational reasons why specifics can't be discussed.

But, remember, it is our political masters (.fx spit!) who we need to engage. Sure, make it clear to the police you don't think that what they are doing is right, but they won't change unless the government tells them to.

C

[This message has been edited by ca (edited 20 June 2001).]
Old 20 June 2001, 08:38 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

CA - you have another member
Old 20 June 2001, 08:41 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just for info...

An ABD spokesman will be on Top Gear tomorrow night (BBC2 20:30 Thursday 21 June) discussing - wait for it - Speed cameras.

C