Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers and headlights

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2001, 12:15 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if anyone finds that a bikers lights, during daylight, causes them to become blinded to the point they may be unable to see where there going and therefore knock the biker off then they should get an eye test and stop telling bikers to adjust there lights.

and ive seen topgun loads and filter real fast so maybe theres something in it.

tiggs

ps- before anyone complains about my filtering i try to do lots of it on the back wheel to keep the lights pointing away from delicate little eyes so im not all bad!
Old 15 June 2001, 12:51 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice one Tiggs..........

"Sorry officer I didn't want to blind the on coming cars, thats why I wheelied for the last 2 miles through traffic. Then to make sure, I stoppied at the junction incase they got blinded too."

Also perhaps bikers don't get blinded as some of us where the "tinted visors"

Oh no here comes another discussion.......

Sccoby Forever....R6'it for fun

J
Old 15 June 2001, 12:58 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

scoobysnack,

thinking about it, i'd better lay off the stoppies in case my dazzling brake light causes early onset blindness in some poor little car driver when they gaze- trance like- at it 3 feet up in the air!

tiggs

ps- my visors not tinted- its black, i have a job to see through it! not helped by the clocks being in my line of site down the road- must do less wheelies!
Old 15 June 2001, 09:20 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Question

Okay, I can understand that bikers like (and probably need) to increase their visibility by having their headlights on, but the guys who inist on using main beam when they're coming towards you between two streams of traffic are asking to be knocked off by a totally dazzled driver.
Why do they do it?
Old 15 June 2001, 09:29 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mungo:
<B>Okay, I can understand that bikers like (and probably need) to increase their visibility by having their headlights on, but the guys who inist on using main beam when they're coming towards you between two streams of traffic are asking to be knocked off by a totally dazzled driver.
Why do they do it? [/quote]

Do you know - this really p1sses me off. WE DONT HAVE MAIN BEAM ON!!! Its just normal lights. Remember bikes have only one light to make the same amount as a car has two for. So they are BRIGHT!!

I get so many muppets flashing me thinking ive got main beam on. So i give em a quick blast of MAIN to shut them up.

As a biker, i think id rather have everyone see me and think "those lights are bright" (i.e. ive been noticed and the guy wont pull out on me) than them not see me if i turn them off and then get knocked off.

Just remember that us bikers out there are up against it!! Anything that makes car drivers see us is worth it!!

Jza
Old 15 June 2001, 09:33 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mungo, if you are talking about when a Bike is filtering between two lanes of stationary/Very Slow Moving traffic then I do this because being a car driver I know how difficult it can be to spot a Bike filtering past me when in a jam.

The number of times I have seen car drivers change lane without looking you would not believe so experience has taught me that if you use High Beam whilst filtering, people do seem to spot you and so might just save your life (well broken limbs at least). If it annoys the car drivers then I am sorry but not sorry enough to increase the risk of getting hit by a non-looking, non-indicating lane changer by not using High Beam.

If everybody looked over their shoulder (the mirror is not enough) and indicated before changing lanes then Bikers wouldn't have to resort to such methods to stay alive (I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here 'cos everybody looks over their shoulder (even in a car ) before changing lanes - right?)

Having said that, it really winds me up when you get the arsehole biker that Filters like an idiot at a way to inappropriate speed and gives the rest of us a bad name.....

Be safe out there (particularly if you use 2 wheels ),

Matt

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 15 June 2001).]
Old 15 June 2001, 09:39 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Short wheelbase and long travel suspension mean that most bikes on dipped beam will appear like they are on main when accelerating.

For the same reason a bike travelling over uneven roads will often appear to be flashing oncoming traffic - a problem if a driver takes that as an indication to pull out of a side turning.

There is an awful lot to consider as a biker - try it and then form an opinion.

Most bikers are pretty considerate road users.

Simon
Old 15 June 2001, 09:41 AM
WAYSIDERS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks for reinforcing my prejudice, Jza. Seems to me that much of this is down to an attitude problem. So it's OK to dazzle other road users? Get your lights properly adjusted, you may find the other road users being more courteous towards you.

Cars, bikes and competitiveness make a lethal mix. Perhaps a bit more understanding of each others' concerns would be more helpful than the adversarial statements we see on this BBS too often.
Old 15 June 2001, 09:46 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WAYSIDERS:
<B>Thanks for reinforcing my prejudice, Jza. Seems to me that much of this is down to an attitude problem. So it's OK to dazzle other road users? Get your lights properly adjusted, you may find the other road users being more courteous towards you.[/quote]

Jza's point was that his lights <B>ARE</B> properly adjusted but may still *seem* to be too bright from the Car's point of view.

After you've had a few cars pull out on you from side turnings after you have already made eye contact with the driver and they say "Sorry mate - didn't see you" , you soon start to concern yourself less with "am I being too bright" and more with "hopefullly they can see me now and they won't kill me".

You see what I mean?

Matt
Old 15 June 2001, 10:30 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Totally agree..........

Have nice safe Scooby for the day, but use an R6 for pleasure.......

Always kept the sidelights or headlight on. Never used to but had a near miss at a junction with a driver "who couldn't see me".
Strange that 40mph, on a 50mph straight road, while wearing a luminous blue jacket.

Its something to do with peripheal vision I hear.

J
Old 15 June 2001, 10:35 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mutant_matt:
<B> Jza's point was that his lights ARE</B> properly adjusted but may still *seem* to be too bright from the Car's point of view.

After you've had a few cars pull out on you from side turnings after you have already made eye contact with the driver and they say "Sorry mate - didn't see you" , you soon start to concern yourself less with "am I being too bright" and more with "hopefullly they can see me now and they won't kill me".

You see what I mean?

Matt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't matter whether they are technically "properly" adjusted or not. If people are flashing you then you are blinding them, simple as that. You should get it adjusted.

What annoys me is that Saabs with their lights on 'dipped' always blind me in the Elise when they are behind me on motorways.

They never seem to like it when give them the main beam + driving lights back in return though.
Old 15 June 2001, 10:48 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Right

Just to make it clear.

<B>A bike's headlights are higher physically off the ground than a car. It is for this reason that you may appear to be dazzled. Similar to when you have a large 4x4 or lorry behind you.

Rest assured that motorcycles, 4x4's, Trucks & Vans all probably have their headlights adjusted correctly - its just your position in relation to them that makes it seem like they're dazling you.</B>

Physics lesson over
Old 15 June 2001, 10:57 AM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

I'd rather suffer temporary blindness from a bike's lights than not see him at all and wind up knocking him off. A few seconds of mild discomfort to prevent a lifetime of regret - yes please.
Old 15 June 2001, 11:01 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

& for the rest of it..

Sorry Matt, got to say I don't agree with you regarding full-beam headlights filtering through traffic. Ride defensively and be prepared to stop or take evasive action. Although you are "technically" not doing something illegal by filtering, you will be held partly to blame if someone changes lane suddenly & knocks you off. If that person then says they were dazzled by your lights & you own up to riding with main beam on, then you may be held more to blame. Highway code says that you should not dazzle other road users with your headlights (caveat as above post regarding bikes, trucks etc).

Regarding the filtering at speed (a higher speed relative to you prehaps ) then that is up to your own judgement. I would say that I am probably one of the people to whom you refer, but I've been doing it for 15 years as a courier without mishap (yeah I know) so feel that the manoeuvres that I make are safe to myself & other road-users, bearing in mind conditions, locations, speed limits etc.

And I still have time to wave to scoobies
Old 15 June 2001, 11:45 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Puff,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff:
<B>Sorry Matt, got to say I don't agree with you regarding full-beam headlights filtering through traffic. Ride defensively and be prepared to stop or take evasive action.[/quote]

Absolutely....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>Although you are "technically" not doing something illegal by filtering, you will be held partly to blame if someone changes lane suddenly & knocks you off.[/quote]

Sure....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>If that person then says they were dazzled by your lights & you own up to riding with main beam on, then you may be held more to blame. Highway code says that you should not dazzle other road users with your headlights (caveat as above post regarding bikes, trucks etc).[/quote]

Sure but if I only use the High Beam through filtering, I doubt whether anybody is going to be dazzled, they are only likely going to be able to see me in their wing mirror anyway...

Also, I wasn't thinking of Couriers (though there are a few out there with some loose screws there is no doubt) but your sports bike riding, trainer wearing, shellsuit wearing fool......you know the type.....

I know that most Couriers are in far more control than they may otherwise appear (I used to be one after all) and still retain the courier safe-but-not-slow filtering skills

Matt

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 15 June 2001).]
Old 15 June 2001, 11:52 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mutant_matt:
<B>sports bike riding, trainer wearing, shellsuit wearing fool......you know the type.....
[/quote]

That'd be the ones that have seen Top Gun too many times then?

(Back to the muppet forum now for me)
Old 15 June 2001, 01:37 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Right

Just to make it clear.

A bike's headlights are higher physically off the ground than a car. It is for this reason that you may appear to be dazzled.

its just your position in relation to them that makes it seem like they're dazling you.</B>

Physics lesson over
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh!!! Is this stupid or what? "Appear to be dazzled" "Seem like they are dazzling" ???

Excuse me but surely you either ARE being dazzled or you aren't, simple as that.

Oh I APPEAR to be being dazzled, oh thats ok then....so long as I'm not ACTUALLY being dazzled... (?)

Old 15 June 2001, 01:42 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BT52b:
<B>Oh I APPEAR to be being dazzled, oh thats ok then....so long as I'm not ACTUALLY being dazzled...[/quote]

I think what Puff meant was, when you *are* being dazzled, it's probably not because the Bike is on High Beam (and therefore the Biker is probably not deliberately doing it) but because of the height and direction that the light points in.

If it is legal, passes an MOT and nobody ever complains about it to you (I've not had one oncomming car ever flash me whilst on my bike) then how is the Biker supposed to know he's upsetting people?

Matt
Old 15 June 2001, 01:48 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

you are supposed to know if drivers keep flashing you, thats how.
Old 15 June 2001, 01:59 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I often go to a local bike meet on tuesday night. about 1000 bikes go to a pub in Six Hills in Leicester.

I once went in my car. On the way there i got passed by loads of bikes. I too thought that the lights were "really bright"....

But they weren't on main beam - just bright....

And you know what.....

I saw every bike with lights on in my rear mirror...

So i didnt pull out in front of them....

Nor did anyone else unless they were blind...

So accept bikers put their lights on to improve their visibility to other road users...

To stay safe and not get knocked off...

So you can see them - bikes arent as wide as cars and people miss them a lot easier than they do cars...

I dont think "car-only" drivers appreciate that to us bikers its a jungle out there.... and we'll do what it takes to be seen.

Amen

Jza
Old 15 June 2001, 02:04 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BT52b:
<B>you are supposed to know if drivers keep flashing you, thats how.[/quote]

I'll re-itterate: I've not had one oncomming car ever flash me whilst on my bike...

I guess that if I've not had any cars flash me then it means that I've not dazzled anyone then?

Matt
Old 15 June 2001, 02:16 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WAYSIDERS:
<B>Thanks for reinforcing my prejudice, Jza. Seems to me that much of this is down to an attitude problem. So it's OK to dazzle other road users? Get your lights properly adjusted, you may find the other road users being more courteous towards you.

Cars, bikes and competitiveness make a lethal mix. Perhaps a bit more understanding of each others' concerns would be more helpful than the adversarial statements we see on this BBS too often.[/quote]

Sorry for posting again - but just read this drivel. If you in your car dont see me on my bike, and we collide - who comes off worse???? ME.

Courtesy doesnt come into play when i get T boned by a Volvo driver who didnt see me cause i had no lights on and he just pulled out - in broad day light!!

So if i can make YOU see ME I have a better chance of survival. Simple. Having my lights on is not being competitive - its reducing my risks of YOU not seeing me!!!!!

If my lights dazzle you - sorry- have a go at Honda for making such powerful lights. My lights ARE properly adjusted and are intended to make you see me. Ive seen them from a car and i do agree they do seem bright!

If your reaction is "christ - those lights are bright" then my having them on has served it purpose. Sorry if its a bit bright - but you dont complain to the sun when its in the sky and dazzles you do you?You saw me and im safe.

Would you honestly rather see a biker knocked off than NOT have him have his lights on????

I take it from your comments you ARE NOT A BIKER. If you were you'd have experienced how unaware road users are of bikes and not sit on your high-horse complaining about this all being some "competition" and my "adverserial" comments. Buy a bike, and in 6 months talk to me again about the subject.

Jza
Old 15 June 2001, 02:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Jza

Don't have him buy a bike He'll only become another statistic that the government will use to batter bikers with - as we all realise he's short-sighted & confrontational - dangerous combo

Old 15 June 2001, 02:25 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK OK guys - take it easy - if we let it degenerate then we won't get our point across to non-bikers and I think that's a missed opportunity - after all, it's a good debate and if we can't educate (in the nicest possible way guys - I'm not being condecending (honest)) to Scooby drivers then who can we????

If we can convince people why we act like we do then we should be better off in the long whilst riding our bikes.....

Matt
Old 15 June 2001, 02:26 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh and Mungo, welcome back to this thread when you next read it....

It's been busy since you've been away

Matt
Old 15 June 2001, 02:29 PM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

I remember reading in Fast Bikes mag a long time ago (before it became the Max Power of Bike Mags)

A study in Italy showed that it made **** all difference if you had your lights on or off. Basically, even if they saw you, the bast volvo drivers still pulled out in front of you.

Mind you, that was in Italy, and they make London drivers seem like extras from Camberwick Green
Old 15 June 2001, 03:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

jza,

as long as your irritation at mungos thread is less than the irritation of being put in hospital by some fool that didnt see you then i assume the lights thing works- if mungo has annoyed you more than going to hospital then you are easily rattled or have no idea what a hospital is!!!!

Tiggs
Old 15 June 2001, 03:44 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Wink

<B> I'll re-itterate: I've not had one oncomming car ever flash me whilst on my bike...

I guess that if I've not had any cars flash me then it means that I've not dazzled anyone then?

Matt [/quote]

Yep that sounds about right to me.

But I was referring to earlier posts really where someone was saying they were blinded and someone else said that it was because of relative heights therefore it was ok...

Higher mounted lights mean that have to be more severely dipped then car lights in order to not dazzle.

I'm all for bikers having there lights on, but beware, if you dazzle motorists as a result you may be asking for trouble. ("It's ok in an MOT is fine", but not mush used after you have been swiped off the road as a result.) No reason why they have to be dazzling of course...
Old 15 June 2001, 05:54 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

I agree with the original point. Basically, during the autumn/winter/spring months, travelling home on th a316 towards london in semi darkness wondering what the HGV next to you is going to do, the last thing you need is some nosher on a bike hairing towards you in the central hatched reservation with his lights on. It happens all the time and you don't see the biker, just a big light. This really pi$$es me off and why do you think that is? Because I then have to guestimate where the biker is and move my car as close to the truck next to me as I can to give the biker room, thus taking responsibility for his safety whilst he is committing an illegal act.

At all other times I have great respect for bikers and am dead jealous that I am not man enough to don leathers.

Understanding is all we need here, no point bikers in one corner car drivers in the other slugging it out!
Old 15 June 2001, 06:27 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Red face

The other possibility is that with loads of parallel imports(euro imports) on the road there are probably loads of punters who's lights point the wrong way. I had to pay 300quid for a new light unit for my Fazer to get it through a German MOT !!! bike was less than 5 grand new !!!

Cammy

Quick Reply: Bikers and headlights