Sponsored by:

Scoob Vs. Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 06:10 PM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Anybody ever 'had a go' against an Audi TT? I mean on a track of course, I realise nobody here is immature enough to race on the road. Ahem.

I ask because a guy at work has one (no, I don't work at a hairdressers ) and the banter is flying left right and centre. I get my 1k service done next week so I'm wondering whether or not I should be mouthing off as much as I am.

Mine is a MY01 WRX. The only mod I've got are the stainless steel entry guards

THX a lot,

Scooby-dude
Old 17 June 2001, 06:26 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

The Roadster does not hang about. But not spleen rippingly quick.

They do however handle very well with traction control and the Quattro AWD system.

DocJock followed me in one on the way to Brands last year, he will vouch that they aint that slow

Ron
Old 17 June 2001, 06:44 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

The Audi TT is a girlie car, with nowhere near the performance of a Scoob! The funny thing is that their owners think that they're up to challenging Scoobs and so I just enjoy giving them a hammering in all conditions!! On Friday, I toyed with one on the M40, teasingly letting him close the gap on me, then just blasting away....he could not keep up and he was definitely trying!
Cheers
DBM
Old 17 June 2001, 06:57 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

D.B.M,

What Scooby do you have? I knew as soon as I saw this thread there would be an arrogant reply like yours.

In terms of acceleration the TT is faster than any MY WRX (208bhp versions) that isn't modified. Handling is similar in terms of grip, but the scooby is more involving.
Old 17 June 2001, 07:07 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Sorry totally disagree..........

Car BHP 0-30 0-60 0-100 1/4Mile

UK Scoob 208 1.8 5.5 15.8 14.2

Audi TT 225 2.0 6.1 15.8 14.6

Audi TT 180 2.3 7.8 21.2 15.7

Unless the new WRX is slower than the old turbo (nows theres a debate)you should be pretty well equal.

Just remember mods on the Audi cost 3 times what they do on a Scooby, and the Audi £10K more in the first place

Have a go ( on the track of course)

J

[This message has been edited by ScoobySnack (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 07:35 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

My boss has a TT 225bhp.
Even when My scoob was standard (MY00 UK) he could not keep up, eaven on the straights. If he tried to boot it away from me down a dual caridgeway I would find him holding me up. It wasn't the drive cos if we swapped cars he would be all over me in mine. Can't believe its realy 225 bhp.

Now with my mods, he might as well be in a 1.1 nova.

Scoobs
Old 17 June 2001, 07:36 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I had a TT here in Greece try to race me. I was coming to a T intersection and stopped to give way to the cars on my right as it was a one way street. The last car I gave way to was a TT. The impression I got from this bloke driving, by the way he looked at my MY00 was that he was looking "down" at my car. I was now behind him and he then pulled over till I passed him. He then pulled out and sped up behind trying to push me. I didn't budge. He then overtook me and that's when I snapped, so I decided to get up close behind him. He floors it and I follow pushing him. I had to brake then give and brake then give that's how easy I had him. We got to a clear straight and I overtook him with great ease. My car is modded but have to say that due to hot weather I had turned my boost down to about 14.5 psi. I can definitely say that a standard MY00 will easily beat one judging by the way I beat it.

Not having a go at TT's or their owners. I think it's a great car, but this guy deserved it as he over tempted me and thought he was something special. I never attack I always defend.

WREXY.

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2001, 07:36 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobySnack:
<B>Sorry totally disagree..........

Car BHP 0-30 0-60 0-100 1/4Mile

UK Scoob 208 1.8 5.5 15.8 14.2

Audi TT 225 2.0 6.1 15.8 14.6

Audi TT 180 2.3 7.8 21.2 15.7

Unless the new WRX is slower than the old turbo (nows theres a debate)you should be pretty well equal.

Just remember mods on the Audi cost 3 times what they do on a Scooby, and the Audi £10K more in the first place

Have a go ( on the track of course)

J

[/quote]

Car Magazine did a test with a TT 225 and a WRX. They found that once the cars were rolling and they booted both of them next to each other, the TT would pull away in every gear. They said that the 'TT pulled away slowly but surely'.

Why does a TT cost '3 times' more to modify? Also a TT225 cost 26K so that's about 5-6 grand difference in price, which is probably spent on an interior that doesn't crumble.
Old 17 June 2001, 07:37 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Test drove a TT last week, not as fast as WRX, handling not as well, more body roll. Other words: Don't like it.
Old 17 June 2001, 07:49 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Havent we had this debate a few times before, although not comparing it against the TT, but the S3.

In pure accleration using Autocar's figures the TT coupe is quicker than a MY01. Now the roadster has a bit more weight, so I'd guess accleration wise its very close to the S3. Comparing those two figures, put the cars at an almost identical speed. Yes the MY00 was a little quicker, but in the real world by not much - wife had a MY00 when I had an S3

Having just got rid of an S3 and now driving a MY01 I'd say that performance wise it is close.

DBM's comments can be ignored, as he just admits to having a PPP fitted. Try the same against an MTM/AMD modified TT and you wont shake them.

Where the MY01 really scores over the TT is in the handling and brakes department. The TT/S3 was pretty similar on handling ability to the MY00. I infact like the Haldex set up and the car is quite chuckable. The MY01 is a step above the classic shape, and will remain composed over rough roads and exhibit less understeer. Ive certainly been enjoying the superior handling of the MY01 over the S3. The S3 is also a step above the TT Roadster.

Scooby-dude

Just get the PPP fitted without telling anyone. Now that will blow him away

Jonathan

Old 17 June 2001, 08:17 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Cool

I participated in a track day at Anglesey circuit last Friday, in my group there was both an Audi TT (225bhp) and a 97 spec WRX (260bhp?).

Guess what? The Audi was quicker.

Before anyone blurbs on about drivers, the Audi was quicker on the straights. And as you jap car owners keep reminding us , it takes no skill to drive fast on the straights so the Audi being quicker was NOT down to driver ability, it was just the car being quicker, yes quicker than a scooby lol !!

The Audi was atleast it's match on the bends too by the way.

Not that the WRX was slow, it was close but it just seemed to run out of steam towards 80-90mph.

No doubt i'll get allsorts of replies telling me that in fact the WRX was ill (it was not, i spoke to the owner at length), the Audi driver was Damon Hill, I was hallucinating etc etc...

I know what i seen .

[This message has been edited by CC (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 08:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Oh, well having just come back from sunny Scotland and a few blasts down the 1/4mile at Crail, all i can say is i need more practice getting off the line but there was a guy there with a uk my99 with just a s/s exaust and he was getting 13.32 quarter mile times now my little ppp'd car was getting 14's (kept bogging the turbo down) but still kickin ***
I went up against and s3 there, bogged the turbo down, yet again but then he also false started but i was catching him and he got away alot quicker than me and i still got a cr@p time!!! (then again i expected to get flattened by the 300zx twin turbo.... oh well was nice passing him )
The impreza is a good car and is quick, but its the driver that counts (ie me being duff at gettin off the line ) but i did make a sub 14 which i was happy with (except i still bogged the turbo down )
But TT's..... nahhhhh too heavy to be a proper performance car

Tony
Old 17 June 2001, 08:33 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Veracocha....what kind of a name is that?!
If you're stupid enough to buy a WRX, well what can I say........?
My car is a PPP Turbo, but the totally standard UK Turbo will easily outdo the Audi, as confirmrd by the above performance figures which are even more pronounced in real-world driving!
I'm not arrogant.....just a fun-loving Scooby fan like most folk on here.....now go away and buy a quick car, then start to talk......
DBM
Old 17 June 2001, 08:50 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Angry

DBM

Your coming across as pretty arrogant for someone that has been a member of this community for such a short time.

You need to respect other people cars, especially other Scooby owners. Your knowlege of Impreza is shown in some other threads. Before passing judgement on other owners go learn. Ive come from owning a few other Scoobies including faster ones than my current WRX

Jonathan

A stupid WRX owner along with to name a few
and in no particular order
Pete Croney
Rob Mac
Dave T-S
Dr Evil

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 08:50 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

DBM,

Why make things personal? That sort of attitude shows that you are immature and have nothing objective to say.

I was just stating what I know to be true which is that the TT is a fast as, if not faster than a WRX under acceleration.

I have an S3 but then I love imprezas as well. They are all good cars with different strong points.

BTW are you calling all of the people on this BB who have WRX's stupid?

Old 17 June 2001, 09:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autocar:

0-60 0-100 30-70 50-70(5th)
6.1 15.8 5.8 9.1 TT 225
6.4 16.4 6.2 7.7 S3 210
5.3 14.9 5.2 8.5 MY99 215
5.7 16.9 5.8 9.6 MY01 215

It does look from these figures as though in descending order of performance it would be MY99, TT, S3, MY01, but there is not a huge amount in it. But there does seem to be a consistent loss of performance on MY01 vs MY99 which is consistent among tests in 0-60 0-100 1/4 30-70 50-70(5th) and all in gear tests. All the old reviews of the MY99/00 vs TT 225 seemed to state that the Impreza was comprehensively quicker and noticeably better in the braking/handling departments. The reviews of the MY01 seem to say that the MY01 loses on performance to both the S3 and TT 225 (and even a Clio 172 and 306GTI-6 for TED testing in EVO) but wins overall because of superior handling. In EVO testing it doesn't really seem very good at all on their EPR testing. An (autocar?) test of the old shape had it pulling higher cornering speeds wet/dry than any of BMW M3 (old) Porsche 911, 306GTI6, so the old shape can't be that duff on grip?

These cars are all good, so enjoy them all!

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 09:15 PM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

Veracocha mate what you doing here.......its Gabster here.

I think DBM really just shows why I had to sell the scooby and get out of this Max Power World. Lets get back to our real world.

If this DBM character is taking the **** out of your name then mate we dont want to know him because he just does not know or understand what where coming from. I think that says it all really....you know what I mean........

DBM belive me mate you will see the light and then we will be gone........and it will be to late as we cannot take you with us then.

Veracocha see you on more familiar ground......
Old 17 June 2001, 10:41 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Hi Gabster. The thing is this board is lively and the people are cool apart from the odd *****, not mentioning any names!

John,

EVO magazine raced a TT, S3, WRX, STi5, 22B and RB5 round the MIRA wet handling circuit and found that the S3 was faster than the TT, STi5 and WRX by about half a second. So the handling is as good, but I think that driver involvement is another matter.
Old 17 June 2001, 11:00 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

DBM
U R AN ****
WRX owner and happy about it
Steve
Old 17 June 2001, 11:11 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Smile

doesnt ANYBODY here remember when they first got their scooby? the feeling of invincibility, the first few weeks of spending your time on this bbs and the feeling of belonging to a community of like minded people? you wanted to tell the world how great your scooby is, and slate anyone who dared to drive anything different.
jeez fellas, it just sounds like DBM is excited, thats all. just mega enthusiastic.
cant we all chill a little eh?
IMHO, never driven a TT, but looks real nice, and interior is well tasty.
everyone take a chill pill, and appreciate ALL performance cars, coz you never know what you'll own next
Old 17 June 2001, 11:19 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sure it's not Deep Blue Micra
Old 18 June 2001, 01:00 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Had a go in the 225 Audi TT, just after stepping out of my UKOO plus PPP.

Apart from thinking I'd just fallen (painfully) into a cave, such was the dark low roof and cramped interior, it was seriously disappointing in the GO front.

But if you're into posing, the TT is miles ahead of a Scoob, inside and out. Thing is, when I'm driving I can't see the outside and I find it more beneficial to look out of the windscreen than at the lovely fake alloy Audi trimmings.

Richard.
Old 18 June 2001, 01:27 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

TT is a beautiful looking car I thought about it but I am a bit dumb so got a WRX, if it was twice as ugly as some people think id of still got it. In fact gave the dep before any pics, but the truth is DBM in two years you'll be eatin those words cos once the die hards have driven it, they'll all be in them and you'll be sittin there in your tyranisorous wrex
Old 18 June 2001, 12:53 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think magazine comparisons, especially on handling, need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The new WRX got a pasting in the Evo test, but then they later found the wheel alignment was *way* out - which would have a pretty major negative effect on the handling. Are they going to re-test? Are they b*ll*ocks.

The other problem is comparisons based on road races. With all due respect, when you take a car on it's not always an accurate measure - is your car fully run-in, is theirs, were they really trying, were they in the best gear for the job (ie if you're being lazy using 5th at 70, you'll get your bum kicked by lesser machinery) I've had fun playing with a guy in a 306GTi on the open road, but I bet every kevved-up Nova owner in Bradford thinks he's beaten my Impreza because I just won't nail it while in town.

Just my opinion

Steve

PS Oh yeah, another pet hate of mine - magazines don't have the time or money to make sure the cars they test have decent tyres on them either - they just get whatever the press car has on it when it arrives. O-60 times when one car is on quality tyres and the other is on less-than quality tyres with 10,000 miles under their treads won't always be representative...

[This message has been edited by millband (edited 18 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 07:12 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Sensitive bunch.....?
Of course I respect you all.....just having some fun......some light teasing!
For your information, I'm currently driving my third Scooby, having gone from a Cossie in 98. I appreciate the advice of learned geezers and have learned much from the BBS.
However, I believe that we're all entitled to our opinions and I will always respect the opinions of others, rather than just labelling them as "arseholes" because they choose not to agree with me!
Is it the case that I must make 1000 posts to gain your respect? Perhaps my knowledge is not up to the high standards on here or maybe I'm just a Scooby novice who is excited by it all!
CHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
DBM
Old 18 June 2001, 07:33 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Am I arrogant or am I perhaps just having some fun......??
I respect all of your opinions and have learned a great deal on here. If I have been offensive to anyone, then you have my unreserved apologies.(I don't believe that I labelled anyone an "arsehole" because they chose not to agree with me)
For your information, I'm currently driving my third Scooby, having moved from a Cossie
in 98....with no regrets whatsoever!
Cheers
DBM
Old 18 June 2001, 07:46 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Hi

I am probably best able to sort this argument out i am on my 3 rd impreza my current one being an STi 5 RA and i have also recently taken delivery of a TTR 225
and can give you all the following conclusion

for driving rapidly the sti will blow the tt away in virtually all conditions,however with the hood down on a sunny day nothing beats the tt for sheer pose and when pushed it will see most things off but it does take a fair amount of work where as a scoob delivers effortlessley.

Regards

Tim
Old 18 June 2001, 09:14 PM
RS2
Scooby Newbie

Ive never driven a TT but my for a real Audi driving experince I suggest you try the RS2 heres some figures for you.
0-60 0-100 1/4
4.8 13.1 13.5
These figures are taken from auto car when they tested the RS2 back in 94 they also tell you that 0-30 it is quicker then a Mclaren F1.
Old 18 June 2001, 09:32 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did you chaps know that you can't fit a McDonalds Milkshake cup through the window of a TT coupe!!!!

Next time you see one, look at how low that roofline is!

Gorgeous car though, let's not kid ourselves, but.......but......I Love my scoob and yes when i'm in her, I feel special and I know that it commands a certain type of respect from other road users, as does the TT. The respect the scoob gets though is Very,Very different

Chill out and enjoy ya cars

MIKEY
Old 18 June 2001, 09:47 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Or you could try an RS4 which has 0-100mph in 11 seconds. Not bad for an estate.

TKH, I think everybody know an STi would blow away a TT225. That wasn't the debate in hand.

Quick Reply: Scoob Vs. Audi TT