Sponsored by:

MY99 Brake Discs

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2001, 10:21 PM
Wayne Jones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I recently had the front discs replaced because they were warped and cracked. My dealer has indicated that Subaru UK may not cover this under the warranty. As my car has only done 23k, gone through just 1.5 sets of pads and has only once been driven to the onset of brake fade, I am understandably disgruntled.

I am aware from research that the discs have been problematic on Scoobs. Has anyone else suffered similar problems and has the work been done under warranty?

Any info. gratefully received!
Old 17 June 2001, 09:40 AM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem after 16000mls wayne,i think its quite common,dealer replied "unfortunately sir this is a wear item and not covered by warranty".So rather than pay crazy dealer prices,i bought a set of Black Diamond cross drilled disks and mintex pads from Falkland performance (£225)and fitted them myself(40mins).No trouble since.
Old 17 June 2001, 10:40 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

A wear item after just 23000 miles. So much for all that JDPOwer stuff, customer care etc.

Chip.
Old 17 June 2001, 06:17 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Wayne, do a search if you want more evidence, but it's a very well documented fact that the Impreza brakes are a weak point for enthusiastic drivers. This is why Prodrive produce not just one upgrate option, but two!

Sure discs are a wear item and as such may be considered consumables. But only when they've worn out. Warping or cracking is not the same as wearing out!

Richard.
Old 17 June 2001, 07:52 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

tell your dealer he's a fool :-)

I've been through 2 sets of MY99 discs, both due to cracking. A known problem I'm told, and both times done under warranty.
Old 17 June 2001, 10:35 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Yep I know someone who has had two sets replaced under warranty at 30k and 52k on his MY99. It is a common problem (cracking) and some dealers use aprated items on repeated claims.
Old 18 June 2001, 12:18 AM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>One rumour I heard, was that to combat this, people were being advised to not sit on their brakes at lights and junctions etc, as this contributed to the problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good driving practice to use the handbrake any way - if you get rear ended, you might not get pushed into the car in front or out into a busy junction.

I get really hacked off with people who sit with their foot on the brake if they have a high level brake light that's right at eye level.

Chris.

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2001, 12:30 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

tiger_aust - When braking quite hard (most noticeable) from a reasonable speed (60 should do it) you get a juddering sound that is quite loud and movement which is very alarming the first time it happens. You also can't stop as quick !
If you look at the disc you will see a "crazy paving" effect that's quite faint on the surface.

[This message has been edited by medders (edited 18 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 09:08 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trucker Ted:
<B>So rather than pay crazy dealer prices,i bought a set of Black Diamond cross drilled disks and mintex pads from Falkland performance (£225)and fitted them myself(40mins).No trouble since.[/quote]

How long have you been running on the Black Diamonds/Mintexs? I have Black Diamonds/EBC Greens and am thinking of changing to your combination.
Old 18 June 2001, 09:10 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had two sets of discs on MY99 in 30k.
Both replaced under warranty by the dealer. It IS a known problem. One rumour I heard, was that to combat this, people were being advised to not sit on their brakes at lights and junctions etc, as this contributed to the problem.

How can a set of worn discs that have partly worn pads on be classed as a wear item?
If the pads are worn down to the metal and your discs have gone then fair enough, it's your fault, otherwide it's down to those cheap discs!

If your dealer is denying the problem, ring Subaru or go to another dealer. That is cr*p and not the behaviour of a dealer who values their customer......mind you there are more and more dealers that are losing the customer service they used to have (god I sound old now don't I?)

[This message has been edited by medders (edited 18 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 09:19 AM
sjah555
Scooby Regular

had exactly the same problems Wayne on MY99 with 23k miles on it also ... well still have really !!!

it's not intolerable yet, but I'd quite like to get the pads and possibly discs replaced/upgraded and obviously it would be nice if the work could be done under warranty.

Sal.
Old 18 June 2001, 11:22 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Talking

had mine replaced at 18,000 miles under warrenty.

They should last longer than 23,000 miles!
Old 18 June 2001, 11:23 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Mine cracked at 15k. I spoke to IM direct, and they said that it would definately be a warranty claim. Only hitch for me is that it has to be referred to Subaru Holland, who might not agree!

Anyway, if it's a UK car and the dealer confirms they are cracked, shouldn't be problem. Get 'em upgraded and pay the difference.

Geezer
Old 18 June 2001, 11:46 AM
Tiger_Aust
Scooby Newbie

How do u know if they r cracked? I have this noise coming from the rear right wheel which sounds like a rock is caught in there. It only happens when i reverse and if i put my foot on the brake a little while i am reversing it goes away. Soon as i release my foot the noise is back. Never happens when i drive forward. It also doesn't happen everytime i reverse.

Thanks

Old 18 June 2001, 11:24 PM
Tiger_Aust
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Medders. I was a little worried about this problem (cracked discs) and I was unsure what I was suppose to expect if I had them. Thanks again