Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snap crackle and POP

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2002, 06:27 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few people have been mentioning flames and poping exhausts and I was just wondering if it's likely to get mine to do this, only PPP and straight through exhaust. I'm not looking to buy a kit or anything just to get it to melt the rear bumper.
Just curious ?? (and bored stiff)
Old 20 July 2002, 07:15 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

The phase one engine cars (pre 99) use to do this easily as teh ran very rich at high revs and unburnt fuel popped if you lifted off suddenly at high revs. The phase 2 cars dont seem to run as rich but if you fit (dare I say it) a VTA DV (yuck ) then it causes the engine to run richer and cause pops and bangs (from what I have heard).

[Edited by chrisp - 7/20/2002 7:16:32 PM]
Old 21 July 2002, 12:28 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

I thought you would want to avoid this on a road car.

This is one of the metohds used to reduce turbo lag in the WRC cars. They ignite fuel in the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning. They have strengthend exhaust manifolds and turbos to cater for the increased heat output.

A normal road car will not have such a design feature and could cause damage to it self.
Old 21 July 2002, 11:39 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

VTA are the best! Nothing satisfy me more than scaring Nova drivers with my flames..
Old 21 July 2002, 12:59 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

A decatted exhaust and atmospheric dump valve should do the job. Air goes past the MAF and the ECU decides how much fuel to put into the engine but then when the DV opens on liftoff some of the air can escape which means that the mixture going into the cylinders is rich and some of it goes through into the exhaust and then explodes if the exhaust is hot. Some cars just pop and bang like mine, others spit flames out the back!

On rally cars the pop, bangs and flames are caused by anti-lag systems which keep the turbo spinning while off the throttle therefore reducing lag when they put their foot down again. This reduces the lift of the turbo and I believe that they turn the anti-lag off while on the road as flames coming out the back is not something the Police like!