Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the sh1t I have to put up with on my way to work...

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2001, 10:55 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear with me people,
I have to walk accross London Bridge EVERY day to get to work. You know those photos of loads of people walking accross the bridge that you see from time to time? Thats the deal. You may think its fun to do that, but it rapidly loses it appeal. Usually, to pass the time I stick on some hardcore on the walkman and before you know it, I'm over and the tedium is gone till the evening.
BUT...
Why do advertisers insist on staging "wacky" events which I and my fellow walkers have to endure. Just off the top of my head, this is what We have had to put up with:
/Loads of people in suits and bowler hats waving placards saying "end bandwidth restriction" and "free the internet now"
/A man in a Flourescent 3 piece suit barging past people while someone takes photos.
/ A girl with a binliner taped strategically to her front so from behind, she was totally nekkid, while a bloke took photos,
/ Endless people taking photos, I stick my fingers up these days.
/ Someone who looked a little like Goldie making a pop video.
/ Some bloke staged an "artistic happening" on the bridge for the Turner Prize. People were handed red ears and asked to wear them on the walk over.. Give me strength.
/ I didn't see this one, but I saw the advert. Basically this guy was walking down the pavement, in the crowd, when this **** in a football shirt, leapt on his back and started screaming and cheering. I think it was an advert for a radio football show or something, but how out of order is it? If that had happened to me I would have got him on the floor and given him a kicking and claimed I thought I was being mugged.

I wish they would just leave us alone! The daily trudge to work isnt fun and games and I can accept this, but is all this **** taking and snidey social comment really nesccessary?
Apologies for the spelling, I have been taking lessons from Longun
astraboy.

Old 14 June 2001, 11:28 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

swim across then

i know what you mean though.

Old 14 June 2001, 11:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like fun to me.
Old 14 June 2001, 11:48 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JackClark:
<B>Sounds like fun to me.[/quote]

Not when you are late for work, hungover to **** and just want to be left alone to feel sorry for yourself. Where do they find these people?
More to the point Why do they put themselves through it?
Swimming? It has been considered you know.
astraboy.
Old 14 June 2001, 08:05 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

The only **** I have to put up with going to work is long fast twisty roads with not much trafic on.

oh to live in Scotland
Old 14 June 2001, 08:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Astraboy
You should see the **** I have to put up with when I GET to work.......
Old 15 June 2001, 02:33 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Can't be true dave......Carolyn said you had a right cushie little number, dodgy sod you.
Cheers
Colin
Old 15 June 2001, 02:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am with Dave T-S on this
The drive to and from work usually put a smile on my face its the work bit that gets me down.
Old 17 June 2001, 05:37 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

i'm right with you astraboy - used to work in an office overlooking the local busking strip - which is okay, except when you meet a mate on the street, start a conversation and one of the buskers tells me and my mate to eff off cos he's trying to perform his act and cos we're not paying attention it's upsetting the other punters (who burst into spontaneous applause)!!!

RULE 33 - anybody performing street theatre should be prepared to take as much insulting and outlandish behaviour as they give out.

..... i think u've hit a raw nerve, astraboy
Old 17 June 2001, 10:56 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I do the London Bridge walk most mornings, Its a real pain in the bum, & if its raining, forget the brolly, more hassle than its worth, you drown.

The best is on the way home, you dodge the crowd, Evening Standard Sellers, Brain dead muppets, final hurdle is the smelly tramp, begging for money attempting to play a turn on his mouth organ after he has taped up loads of flowers, blokes selling disposable lights, more eving standard sellers, then the sodding train is late, & 400 Million people are already on it so if you get on you have a result, a seat, no chance.

Or if I drive in, very early so I can pay £8 for the privilage to park, I get muppetts walking in front of me when trying to drive, Cab, Busses the list goes on.

Oh yes, Its sunday, its fathers day, I'm at work, p155ed off etc etc etc etc etc, roll on Monday so I can get a train to london bridge & walk again
Old 17 June 2001, 11:10 AM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Get the train into Cannon Street and walk from there?!!!

[This message has been edited by APJ (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 12:35 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep train to cannon street a good bet...... personally I'm passed that walk and in Docklands so a nice dry Jubilee Line for me... when it works!!!

Dave

p.s. saw a half naked woman on LB one day...
Old 18 June 2001, 02:16 PM
CM
Scooby Newbie

Why don't you try the only alternative and get a scooter?!? (quicker than a scoob through the traffic!)

Just watch out for the orange streak of Gilera Runner going across the bridge at about 8.15 most mornings. I've always felt sorry for those walking across, at least now I know that they aren't all robots on their way to a desk to get plugged in!