Sponsored by:

How often do you wanna get rid of your scoob

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2002, 03:25 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've had my car 15 months now, I started to get the feeling I needed a change about 4 months ago.

I've still got the car but find myself more and more frequently thinking why do I bother with it, expensive to run, expensive insurance, all the negative things about owning a scoob.

Does anyone else have these thoughts?
My insurance renewal is in 3 weeks and I find myself putting in details for a Golf GTi T and getting figures of £520 instead of £950

Old 19 July 2002, 03:26 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Everyday!

its a MY00 got it valued at the local Subaru garage they said 15k part ex, 16k private, 14k cheque in the hand!
Old 19 July 2002, 03:34 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Well since last Sunday, almost everyday now. I'm thinking of moving over to the Dark Side..
Old 19 July 2002, 03:35 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Question

How dark is dark?

Evo or GTR?

..IS
Old 19 July 2002, 03:36 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Every time there is more than 10 days between drives I think of selling. Then I get back in, roll the windows down and grin.
C
Oh, btw, having owned a scoob really ruins you for run of the mill cars like the golf gti. Since we got an STI we've been through so many second cars - simply because both Nicki and I now hate driving mundane motors. Now we've ended up with a bloody S3 as the supermarket car...damn I hate what the STI has done to us

[Edited by chuckster - 7/19/2002 3:40:11 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 03:41 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

My trouble is that dealers have a shed load of turbo's for sale, (all at incredibly high prices) and don't want to buy back mine
Old 19 July 2002, 03:41 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

On and off like a bleeding light switch!

I then end up getting some new mods to keep me happy, which doesn't last very long!

I want to go down the Westie route sometime after we have found and moved into a new house, so will part with the Scoob then and get a sensible run-around (ready for kids as my missus keeps telling me about her biological clock )

I enjoy mine, but get paranoid about the scumbags out there [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and wish it was cheaper

Mr flibble, what garage offered you 14k cheque? I would be tempted to part with my MY00 for that and get the sensible runaround now (or should I get the Westie now )

[Edited by Hanslow - 7/19/2002 3:44:59 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 03:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Monday = keep it
Tuesday = sell
Wednesday = keep it
Thursday = sell
Friday = too pissed to care
Saturday = sell it
Sunday = gets a polish so keep it
Old 19 July 2002, 03:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've had mine a week and thought about it already with the way it uses fuel and the fact its getting serviced today. TEC3 will sort that: I think deep down I want it to be more powerful and smooth - don't tell John Banks I said smooth by the way
Old 19 July 2002, 03:58 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

How dark is dark?
I think Evo dark. I don't think I want to be a Sith Lord yet..
Old 19 July 2002, 04:12 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

The high running costs are nothing compared to an M3, my outgoings have halved since buying a Scoob, but the grin factor has doubled.

Just as a thought... if a Scoob wasn't so good, would you drive it slower and therefore use less fuel, less rubber and less brakes? I had a 106 1.0L for three weeks between getting rid of the M3 and waiting for the STi UK, I drove the 106 much more sensibly but desperately missed the performace.

At the end of the day if a car makes you grin after a hard drive and makes you get up in the morning to pay for it, then it's wort it.

Phil
Old 19 July 2002, 04:17 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

I started thinking about getting rid of mine when it was 18 months old and finally sold it to a dealer at 22 months old (I wanted to get rid of it before the 24 month dervice was due)

mr flibble, if a dealer is offering you 14K for your MY00 I would rip their hand off. My car was an immaculate MY00 and I had real difficulty even finding a dealer who was interested and I certainly didn't get 14K for it!

Mainly got rid of it because of a thread on here asking how much does your Impreza cost to run. Mine worked out at about £700 a month once everything was taken into account (interest on loan, servicing, fuel, tyres, depreciation, insurance etc.)

For a car that I mainly used to drive 5 miles to work it seemed a stupid amount of money.
Old 19 July 2002, 04:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The 30k service today with new front pads will run me about £650 and that is more than all the services and consumables (except fuel) for 16 months and 32k miles of VTS ownership. Sort of puts it in perspective doesn't it!!!
Old 19 July 2002, 04:30 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Question

Saxo Boy,

Did you not check that it needed the 2 year/30K service before you bought it?? Must be a common time to get rid as I did the same thing (as I mentioned above)

Including the road tax it saved me £800.

Just wish I hadn't put 4 new tyres on it the month before as that would have saved me another £400

Almost forgot I also saved £615 in insurance (new car came with free insurance)

So it would have been nearly 2 grand just to keep it on the road for another year before I even thought about putting any petrol in it!

Expensive to run these Imprezas aren't they!

[Edited by JoeyDeacon - 7/19/2002 4:32:04 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 04:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It's ok, I knew what it needed and so on but it still hurts when you actually have to pay over the cash!
Old 19 July 2002, 04:41 PM
MacRS4
Scooby Newbie

You think an Impreza is expensive, try running an RS4
Old 19 July 2002, 04:43 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I think about selling daily, then I go home and see/drive the beast
Andyp
Old 19 July 2002, 04:50 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i get the same feelings for my p1, had it 16 months now, only done 9k, hardly use it since my wife had a baby 5 months ago, dont like the kids going in my baby, hard to get rid of all three of them so it sits in the garage only being used for the 6 mile journey to work two weeks out of three(i use the wifes focus then as its easier than swapping the cars around)
ive had a settlement figure and a figure for part exing against an evo 7, still dont know what to do, begrudge paying the servicing, always done my own cars for the last 13 years
mark
Old 19 July 2002, 08:14 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

I think about it Mon,Tues,Weds and Thurs, then Friday night comes and I prise the keys from my Mrs and I realise why I bought a scoob!

PP
Old 19 July 2002, 08:17 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

So far, never. Not even close. Not even when i'm putting petrol in. £ per smile, nothing with 4 wheels has even come close. Perhaps I should get out more?

ken
Old 19 July 2002, 08:34 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's a thought I've been having more and more and yep, come October she should be going.

I've toyed with the idea of a Civic Type R as a replacement but I couldn't go back to FWD and then there is a Lotus Elise, which although it rocks on a pure driving level at less than insane velocities is just to impractical I'm staying true and buying a new Scoob. Not sure what variant but it'll have more power, handle better and have THAT engine note!

U gotta love 'em!

DP.

Old 19 July 2002, 08:35 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Cool

scoobys always left me wanting 'more' and oddly dissatisfied. had my evo 4 months, and not once have i thought about getting rid, quite a record for me
evo's are the way forward, for me anyway

come join the darkside, you know you want to
Old 19 July 2002, 09:44 PM
Disco Boy
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I purchased a second hand Land Rover Discovery (TDI) four years ago. I've done aprox 13k miles PA (Av. 23.5 mpg), and the total costs including depreciation, servicing, insurance and car tax totals a wopping £27,728.

Please tell me that Scoobs aren't that expensive! (to run, not to buy)
Old 19 July 2002, 09:58 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Red face

How often do you wanna get rid of your scoob ?

NEVER !!!!!!
Old 19 July 2002, 10:49 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Mega, I just about 'hang on' to my scoob in financial terms, I cannot really afford it...but I love my car cos its the closest thing to a bike I have ever been in.

Every time I go out I have to go up lanes and B-roads (due to location), I always always have a grin!

Yes it is expensive to run/own, yes it can be a 'race magnet', and they do have the unfortunate (allegedly), label re car theft.

I WOULD HAVE ANOTHER ONE TOMORROW !
Old 19 July 2002, 11:20 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As old grandad said you can't take it with you,it's just that performance cars take it off you quicker than most.( not as quick as the missus though!!!)
Old 19 July 2002, 11:29 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

had mine for 6 months. High running costs yes, but fek it! Sunny day, clean motor, squint along to Crail = Money back satisfaction! In my eyes, if you can afford to run it enjoy it.
Old 19 July 2002, 11:42 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Wink

i would sell it tomorrow............

..........and buy a P1

But the missus wont let me

[Edited by CHRIS_D - 7/19/2002 11:43:14 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 11:50 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

There have several times in the last year when I've considered selling my Scoob. But as I need a car (albeit occasionally), I think about the alternatives for the same money and very soon decide I couldn't bear driving anything else...
Old 19 July 2002, 11:52 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

SAXO BOY
Sorry Saxo Boy but I just cant hold back any longer. We listened to you in Scotland for the last decade about how you want a Scoob and now half the population in Edinburgh are out to get you (hehehe) for your un Saxo like behaviour in your very un Saxo like car. There have even been hints of "I expected more" in a lot of your posts that I have been following recently. Heh but thats nothing to what the Doctor Man is going to say to you when he sees the "I want it more powerful and smooth bit"
I would go put my flame suit on if you are going to Knockhill tomorrow. Shame I cant go, but hope to see you at the Kames event next week. Failing that us "Falkirk Bairns" are going to organise a wee do, since you are almost a neibour you could pop through and show of your new "expensive" motor to us.
Take back some of the things you said about that lovely car of yours (I bet you she has feelings like your old Saxo) and I might even give you a shot of my STI 7.
Orra best mate

Quick Reply: How often do you wanna get rid of your scoob