Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry peeps, just gave the Impreza a honking image!

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 08:14 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Was on my way home minding my own business in 'fuel ecomony' mode when I came to a set of lights I use every day. There are two lanes but parked cars usually mean if you take the inside lane you need to fight for your spot or outpower those in the other lane. I pulled into the inside lane with a few cars in front and moved off normally. There was a clio to the side of me and he pulled off agressivly thus ensuring that I couldn't have taken his spot! At this point I knew I had the power/ability to blast past him the car in front of him and nip into a big space ahead. I also thought that wasn't particularly cleaver so held my line as just then I noticed the normal parked cars had half mounted the kerb. This meant that I was able to stay in my lane, but that I would have to make full use of it. I didn't cross into Clio persons lane and didn't make any aggressive motions I just held my lane/line.

THEN...Bawbag in Clio peeps horn and flashes lights and waved hands in anger. WTF, I had full control of the situation and could have chosen to rip his a$s at anytime but instead chose to drive safely and sensibly.

His reaction however angered me and what I did next was the exact opposite of safe, responsible and legal and for that I'm sorry. The really annoying thing is the Clio dude probably wouldn't have reacted the way he did if I'd been in the Saxo as I think he was angered that he expected me to drive aggressively and that I didn't (until he hacked me off)

Anyway, nothing bad came of it other than about 20 people thinking there goes another **** in an Impreza. Sorry guys
Old 18 July 2002, 08:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

There goes a tw@t in a clio

Tony
Old 18 July 2002, 08:21 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Was Nicole in the car? She's hot!!
Old 18 July 2002, 08:22 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

'fuel ecomony' mode
What's that then ?
Old 18 July 2002, 08:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

That's the worst part....his wife looked like she was chewing wasps - she was that ugly
Old 18 July 2002, 08:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dont worry too much Saxo, it happened to me a few weeks back but this was with an old seat shed
2 lanes going onto the motorway, seat was in front, i indicated (with plenty of time and space) accellerated then as i was closing (very close to mr seat driver, who by the way had blocked my progress all the way to this point [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) decided he wanted to change lanes as his lane went down a slip road in another 1/2 mile or so, so what does he do, indicate then start to pull out errrrrrrrm sorry mate, im overtaking you and you aint given yourself enough room here as im now going at 75mph over your 50mph [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] so i carried on, p1ssed him off but then again, the rule is give way to the right and i was on the right hand side, he flashed etc, i just gave him the finger and left the fool
Cant be ar5ed with ppl like that, small cars seem to have an inferiority complex IMHO as they all want to be 3 inches off your rear bumper until you down it a gear and flames come out then they seem to sit a few yards further back dunno why?

Tony
Old 18 July 2002, 08:30 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Thats a disgrace m8. Annoying a poor little clio like that. Don't you think Thierry Henry and the rest of the French have enough problems after the world cup. Shame on you
Alasdair
Old 18 July 2002, 08:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

'Fuel economy' mode is my first reaction to scooby ownership. About halfway through my first tank the full extent to which these things use fuel caused me to seriously alter the way I drive. Now I drive for 20 miles at 65mph with no boost and reward myself with 30 seconds of full throttle later on
Old 18 July 2002, 08:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

On the subject of Henry does anyone else think that the face he makes at the camera when driving the 172 is class in a glass Cracks me up everytime
Old 18 July 2002, 08:41 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Lol SaxoBoy.....with all the work your doing angering the Edinburgh locals im never going to be able to drive my scoob into town again without being linched

Ian
Old 18 July 2002, 08:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
i get that quite a lot. U overtake peops and leave plenty of room, ie, absolutely zero risk taking, and the next thing they flashing and waving hands about. Said peops are normally fat ugly women driving **** shopping trolleys or 50+ geezers with nodding dogs on the rear parcel shelf.

All i do is make sure there is plenty of "boot it" room ahead, then ease down to slower than they were going, get them more mad, stick the finger out the window and crank up some serious warp speed. So long suckers.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:08 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

No disrespect intended whatsoever, but you have posted a topic similar to this before.

It just strikes me that maybe it's your driving habits that are pi55ing people off .

That should be expected, now that you own what is fast becoming the new boy racer's car

Subaru Impreza - the new Sapphire Cosworth

[Edited by RichardPON - 7/18/2002 11:09:31 PM]
Old 19 July 2002, 09:03 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

I dont know if its the same where other impreza drivers live but where i live i "Allways" get someone really close to my rear bumper whilst driving. Like as if they are out to make you drive fast, just so they can see you driving like a nutter cause you pi55ed them off by driving "normally".

It's people like this i feel aggressive to as 9 times out of 10 its a small car (fiesta zetec-s, clio sport etc) with a group of boys boucing around inside. Most of the time i do not give them the satisfaction of seeing me fly off up the road. But then other times i get kinda mad and go on a slightly un-nerving rampage ripping up the tarmac with plenty of boost.

I dont really do a lot of motorway driving but have had plenty of incidents when other drivers have made my day. Last one was on a dual carriageway (very long one) and this tw@t in a puma would not move over from the outside lane. I held back for ages and then moved closer, still he refused to move over and i think he gave me the finger once or twice. I moved into the inside lane as if to overtake and he followed blocking me. Moved to the outside he did the same and continued to be a tw@t. I eventually got past him and more or less stayed level with his car making him brake as the car in front of him was doing 30Mph slower by this time. he caught back up and tried to undertake. waving his pinky at me. I laughed and stuck my tongue out!

It seems that the subaru really does attract the wrong type of attention as people are so jealous these days. Throwing things at your car, driving dangerously just because you are in "economy mode". These people really need to grow up and get a life imo and if i ever got the chance to meet them face to face i'd probably land a few punches. Rant over

Old 19 July 2002, 09:16 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Richard, I agree.

It is inevitable that the boy racer is now able to afford a scoob and carry on driving like *****, give us a bad name.

Im not saying you (Saxo Boy) were driving like a loon in this case, but judging from previous posts, you bring it on yourself.

MB
Old 19 July 2002, 09:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Let 'em go, do you really need to prove your Scob is quicker than a Clio, Nova, etc?

It is very tempting and i own up to doing this meself when i first got my Scoob

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 7/19/2002 9:37:10 AM]
Old 19 July 2002, 09:34 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, but for me a it's a little different. Stealth legacy estate, with personal plate (came with car) and SS exhaust means getting noticed.

But I just love bimbling through our village at 25-30 (30 limit) for about the 2 miles to my house. People drive too fast through it, so I make sure I don't (and most villages actually).

Highlight of the week:
Pootling at 25mph with cop car right behind me, and I know he was speeding because he caught me up when I was doing 30.

Bout time they used some speedin revenue to stop speeding/mend the roads/stop accidents where it matters most.

Paul
Old 19 July 2002, 10:26 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

I get it quite often, another one was when a ford kak, ooooops sorry ka was 3 inches off the back of me scoob in a 30 zone, me doing 30mph and this guy doing 40 until he was behind me then he starts flashing lights etc so as i was approaching roundabout, up over bridge i let off the power he braked quite hard then for some reason as scoob slows nicely then braked after reaching top of hump back bridge down to roundabout.
Small car=attitude problem or small pen15
But then again ive had a merc 320 coupe racing a toyota landcruiser thing, get v close to me bumper on the busy A1, they weaving in and out of traffic when they couldnt overtake and i just made room between me and them, car pulls out to overtake one of the many trucks on that road and keeps them at safe distance behind me
When car pulls back in, me still in right hand lane as overtaking slower trucks/vans etc with van infront of me overtaking truck, mr toyota cuts up mr merc and sits 3 inches off me bumper, me slows a little as van in front is slowly overtaking truck, mr toyota is that close to back of scoob me not happy with him (ie lights are about all thats visible! ) so van moves, i down it to 4th, wave politely to mr toyota (the car behind ) and floor it....
(only to overtake other traffic you know ) so leaves mr sloooooooooooow toyota for dust then sat and laughed at both when they went past

Tony
Old 19 July 2002, 11:40 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Richard and Paul, you make fair points. I did drive like a tw@t last night but it really was a split second bad reaction to the way I was treated for driving responsibly! Generally speaking I drive the car very responsibly and far better than I did the Saxo. I was never your typical 'Saxo' driver but I wouldn't back down out of a 'tussle' provided it was safe and sometimes I'd keep myself at the ready or bait other drivers (my form of baiting never involved sitting 2 feet off bumpers or anything like that) but with the scooby I tend to take less notice of what other performance cars around me are doing and drive carefully until I reward my economical driving .

I always slow down coming into towns and villages and it amazes me the amount of normal cars and white vans that batter through at 45mph!

As for the cheap boy racers car bit: I got mines a week ago and it's getting serviced as we speak. The garage just phoned me and told me it has been serviced every 6 months but not properly, and as such needs a 30k service and a 45k service now !! That's gonna run me about 650 bucks which I think is enough to have most of the overstretched boy racers running back to mummy and daddy
Old 19 July 2002, 11:44 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Oi leave it out, us Clio drivers are sensitive you know
Old 19 July 2002, 11:51 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Before this turns into a 'Saxo Boy you are an as*hole' thread. I'd like my 2ps worth and it is.....

Kenny's the only person I've ever allowed to drive my scoob. I'm pretty possesive of my car and not a good passenger... but I felt totally at ease with Kenny driving and I know for a fact that his driving is better than mine was at aged 23.

I'm 100% certain that Kenny gets a harder time than is merited due to the name 'Saxo Boy'. I'm 33 and would I really bother staying in touch with some 'young beige baseball cap wearing boy racer ****'? He's a decent guy and lives and breathes Subaru. Like the rest of us he's prone to the odd bit of over zealous driving...

Rant over
Old 19 July 2002, 11:54 AM
ajw
Scooby Regular

Know how you feel guys. Interestingly I used to have a uk impreza turbo - used to get that sort of behaviour all the time - but Ive had my evo 7 now for a year and still give it some on fast A-roads but in town tend to let all the nova/saxo boys "beat" me from the lights - just cant be bothered blasting off all the time and driving like a t**t. Have had very little negative attitude towards car except for some one ramming a shopping trolley into the boot and the occasional t**t giving me the bird just for the sake of it!

regards, Andy
Old 19 July 2002, 12:04 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

BOB!!!!!!.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers Sipie I think the guys have been pretty fair and reasonable so far. It's good to see that whilst we are usually a good mannered bunch we can all (mostly) loose the plot from time to time with the way other road users treat us.

Could be worse I suppose. My dad said that driving the 330d was a nightmare as people would just pull out in front of you on the outside lane at 60mph and just stay there!! I didn't believe him until I was out in the car and it amazed me the way people treated him just for having a BMW!!
Old 19 July 2002, 12:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Hey Sipie, took my old man done that little road to Penicuik from Silverburn last night. His first time in a scooby and I think he needed new underpants Still haven't learned to fully use the 4WD grip/ability but I'm slowely building up my knowledge.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:10 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Saxo
Given your previous thread I am getting the feeling you seem to need to justify everything you do.

You appear to be enjoying your new scoob - great- there are plenty of jerks out there and you will come across them daily... just ignore them - I know this is hard to do - but nothing gets them more annoyed than a scoob doing just under the speed limit... your car has instant power - you know that they know that - you don't have to prove it...

I had a Beamer the other day up my back - if you're patient you can eventually teach these idiots a bit of respect - and it's a nice feeling when you do - and doing it safely.

P
Old 19 July 2002, 01:09 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saxo,

I find Beemer drivers seem to have something to prove, either to themselves or to me
If I'm approaching on a dual carriageway in the outside lane, they pull out and refuse to budge, then increase their speed to try and get away. Sometimes I follow, sometimes I really can't be bothered because I know what the car can do. Other times, the usual response on a single carriageway and there's a Beemer in front is that they see you behind them, and some internal switch goes off in the drivers head to get at least one car between you, no matter how stupid or dangerous the maneouver

I agree with BlackCat to an extent though mate.
I'm not doubting your abilities at all, but there's nothing to prove and no need to justify your actions to any of us. It comes part and parcel with owning a Scoob. Jealousy from other drivers and being stereo-typed are the only downsides, and ones which I can cope with.

Old 19 July 2002, 01:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm not trying to justify anything as it wouldn't be possible to justify what I did. The bottom line is I shouldn't have reacted to the other driver the way I did no matter what provication he gave me.

BTW I can't remember what other thread we are talking about here so you guys will need to fill me in.

My reasons for posting this thread were 3 fold:

1) I wanted to appologise/get it off my chest (as I felt bad as hell) before I looked in the 'was it you forum' and saw 'who's the fecking **** in the DBM at Fairmilehead!'

2) To hightlight my thoughts (as a scooby newbie) on the way you get treated by other road users, even when your driving normally!

3) To gauge your reactions, and to be honest reason 3 has suprised me the most. You lot have mostly been supportive and understanding and I think thats got a lot to do with the fact I now have a scooby. I wonder what the responses would have been like if I'd posted a week ago saying I'd done the exact same thing in the VTS. I suspect it would have been 'typical saxo driver', '****', etc.

It doesn't matter what car I was driving I should not have let the guy get to me like that and by posting it it helped me get it off my chest, helped me see that others get abuse in their scoobs for doing nothing as well and IMO created an interesting thread

I've seen threads occasionally in here where people have said, 'sorry to the Mondeo I cut up on the M6 today' Clearly the chances of the Mondeo driver being a scoobynetter are slim but sometimes people need to release guilt and sharing it with others can help to do that

Don't know why but I've just had a horrible feeling about what I've just written so <flame suit on> Just to be on the safe side

Old 19 July 2002, 01:59 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

so what did you do anyway that was so bad?
Old 19 July 2002, 02:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

After the abuse from Clio driver I put the foot down and moved into his lane in front of him (not dangerously though as there was the space) but then I had a look and pulled out into the third lane (i.e the one for oncoming traffic) and ripped past about 5 or so cars before coming back in, slowing down and then turning off into my estate at normal speeds. I achieved nothing other than scaring the **** out of about 5 other road users, using £3 of fuel and to top it all it didn't make me feel any better

<super strength, withstand a nuclear blast, type flame suit on>
Old 19 July 2002, 02:17 PM
King RA
BANNED

I get 10x more **** non sport cars up my **** than I do real cars, you'll get used to it. Like other people say you have nothing to prove, at the end of the day u have a scooby, they don't. Let that be justice enough.

Quick Reply: Sorry peeps, just gave the Impreza a honking image!