Keep it real guys !

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2001, 11:39 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

What do I mean by keep it real?

The Impreza Turbo is a fine car..... But it is not as great as some of the adoration that it seems to get. I'm a Impreza fan and I have been for years. I wouldn't have become a member of this board if I was not an impreza fan.

The reason why I like the impreza is becuase for the price of a top of the range VW Golf. You get a very quick car with Jap reliablity and enough passenger space to take your mates with you. It's an affordable performance car and I love it.

However I accept the fact that faster cars are out there and don't try and modify the hell out of my engine to try and keep up with a some of the quicker porsche's. ( Boxsters are easy ).

The build quality does not compare to a BMW or an Audi (including the MY01), Something has to give. However, to get a BMW which performs within the same scope as an impreza... you are going to have to spend a hell of a lot more money than you would on an impreza.

Enjoy your impreza's ladies and gentlemen, but do accept that other cars are out there which are worth owning at some stage.

I myself love the new M3 or even M5. But I don't have the money as yet to own one of them. Plus that means that I would have to drive like a cupid stunt as most BMW drivers seem to do. Thats the only thing that puts me off, The image that comes with a BMW..... Maybe an Audio S4.......Mmmmmmmmmm!

MY98,MY01 Driver.

PS: If you haven't read this thread then I think you should. You will see exatcly what I mean.
Old 16 June 2001, 11:51 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When you say"The build quality does not compare to a BMW or an Audi" I don't understand ?
I've just sold my MY97 after 3yrs11mnths ownership and nothing, yes, nothing has gone wrong - To me that says good build quality ? No rattles nothing.
I've also heard plenty of horror stories about BMW ownership. Perhaps you mean "ergonomics" - Granted, they are in a different league.
To me though, it's about driving rather than looking, that's why I chose a Scoob.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 17 June 2001, 09:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

There is a few clues here
Its called Scoobynet, Its for Subaru Enthusiasts (mainly) so what do you expect, there is bound to be a certain bias

Funny how people come on here and wax lyrical about them then. It is also tempered by people who have had bad experiences as well. and people who just come on to cause trouble or have a bit of fun with us.
Old 17 June 2001, 09:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Its called Scoobynet, Its for Subaru Enthusiasts (mainly) so what do you expect, there is bound to be a certain bias

Funny how people come on here and wax lyrical about them then. It is also tempered by people who have had bad experiences as well. and people who just come on to cause trouble or have a bit of fun with us.
Old 17 June 2001, 09:22 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

as for the link - so what?
Old 17 June 2001, 11:09 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I think you are missing my point BIGTIME. I would class myself as a Subaru Enthusiast. Iv'e had 2 so far, 4 of my best mates have got one. Ever since I first came across the Impreza at the motorshow in 1995 I have been after one. I have just bought myself a brand new MY01 and it's fantastic.

The point of the link and the post was not to have fun with people or wind them up. I was trying to highlight that we need a certain amount of balance.

If Subaru did not create the Impreza i take it that you would tear up your driving licsense and would never drive again.

Please don't take offense at this post. I know you love scoobys, So do I. I will defend the scooby like any other guy. But I hope whoever I'm educating about the ways of scoobydoom will see that I have a balanced view about the car and realise that it does have bad points as well as very good points.

Enjoy your car.
Old 17 June 2001, 11:22 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

" Plus that means that I would have to drive like a cupid stunt as most BMW drivers seem to do."
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know what it is with these "Beemer" drivers but they sure as hell drive like that here in Greece too. They are always the ones that challenge, driving like d1ckheads and dangerously. Haven't been beaten by one yet in the 10 months I've owned the REX.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 17 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 11:33 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Well, I don't know what car to go to next. Didn't think my 'jap crap' was all that fast after a while, until I toyed with 3 ferraris coming back from the bentley meet and stayed right with them until well into fifth gear, they were all rather surprised. Mine isn't quite modded to hell either.......
We all know that there are many other desirable cars out there, but not many of them have that special something that the scooby has, plus that sort of exhaust note is hard to come by.
I never tire of the comments/looks that I get when people ask me what car I have, or just burbling along on the roads. Our cars are amongst the most desirable to people in the world, so why the hell shouldn't we love them to bits? Mmmmm, 22B...
?
?
?

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 17 June 2001, 12:10 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

When I say build quality I mean some of the attention to detail.... Lift up your boot and look underneath the lid,Look at the paint finish, ( Then close it then listen to the hummm ). Open your front doors and look at the paint finish on your inner wings and the edges of your outer wings. Look at the latches which open the doors, look at the exposed screw heads which fasten the latches.

Look at that gaping hole underneath your steering column facia. It's the attention to detail I'm talking about. ( Some of these things have been fixed on the MY01)

Perhaps I should have said Build finish Quality.

I chose a scoob for the same reason steve. To me the scoob is a blinding car to drive. It's kinda addictive.. I can't stop driving the thing.

But I know that it is not the ONLY good car to drive.