Sponsored by:

Scooby vs. Anything

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2001, 08:21 PM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright Guys

New here, and I've noticed that there appears to be a certain amount of snobbery towards other car makes. Puma's, Vectra V6's etc etc.

Well, playing Devils Advocate for a minute....

You lot are blessed by owning a more or less bespoke, homolagation, no compromise rally special that has benefitted from continual development and evolution.

The others - Calibra Turbo, Racing Puma, Vectra V6, etc etc are not much more than corporate parts bin specials designed to get punters in the showrooms.

If the Scooby hadn't benefitted from years of Colin McRaes input, then I'd expect the 'better than thou' attitude. C'mon lads, pick fights with things your own size.... like Integrale, UR quattro, Lancer, Cossie.

Not so great now eh?

Sorry guys, I've beaten too many STi's WRX's to be impressed with all this macho Scoobies are the greatest rubbish.

;-)

Old 13 June 2001, 08:33 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Boring.

And no I don't even own a Scoob.

Nathan.
Old 13 June 2001, 08:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Yes but can you beat this WRX
Old 13 June 2001, 09:34 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

The others - Calibra Turbo, Racing Puma, Vectra V6, etc etc are not much more than corporate parts bin specials designed to get punters in the showrooms.

"If the Scooby hadn't benefitted from years of Colin McRaes input, then I'd expect the 'better than thou' attitude. C'mon lads, pick fights with things your own size.... like Integrale, UR quattro, Lancer, Cossie.

Not so great now eh?"

I used to own a mini, and I still would have took the !**! out of them:d

Nothing to do with scooby's mate.

Old 13 June 2001, 10:09 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

To call the Impreza a 'no compromise rally special' is very wide of the mark. It has very humble origins and apart from the AWD system is really no different to any of the other cars you've mentioned. Most Vauxhalls are fighting a losing battle before they start because of the cr*p chassis - that's got nothing to do with development / rallying etc just poor / cheap engineering. I know I shouldn't rise to these kinds of posts, but it does help if you get some of your facts right first.

Chris
Old 13 June 2001, 10:33 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Well said Chris
Old 13 June 2001, 10:40 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Who is this goober anyways.......

Noticed that you didn't say what your car was exactly. Or are we all psychic?

Go away you silly boy, waste of a good post.

Nick.

P.S Phallus.
Old 13 June 2001, 10:46 PM
Jaz
Scooby Regular

If I am not mistaken the Calibra is based on the Cavalier, which was raced for many years in TOCA, after which the Vectra came along and raced as well. Does this not count as development or what

John
Old 14 June 2001, 12:03 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well, I have to defend the Scooby owners here.
I have an Integra R, and have never come accross an elitest attitude with the Scooby guys, they've all been really cool, and even at Scooby meets, everyone is down to earth and easy going, and definitely not "my cars better than yours".
One thing I did though, was not come on here saying "would your Scoob beat my Integra", I just asked for an opinion on Integra's, so it wasnt like I was forcing people to side with one or the other.
Its a board for Scooby owners, obvuously if it comes to a fight, they'll be in the Scoobies corner, and rightly so, but if this is too hard for you to live with, there are plenty other boards you could try.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:04 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

damn...ok..i'll see your folding mirrors and raise you....THREE fancy folding cup holders and rear door pockets
Old 14 June 2001, 12:05 AM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

Andy.

I'll raise you a Centre Diff lock and errr err oh bugger it

Pity I haven't got an earlier 10v - then I could see all of you with........
LCD instruments AND a TALKING DASH!!!!

"Warning: Check coolant level" Bing

[This message has been edited by Novark N Goode (edited 14 June 2001).]
Old 14 June 2001, 12:15 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Evil Dr Vauxhall/Quattroman,

I'll trump you both! Your pesky, slow-as-Depitty-Dawg cars have window frames!

I mean, what's with that? Get yourself some decent frameless windows. OK, so the noise levels will go up, but that's a small price to pay for this in-no-way-pointless technology.

Bros

Old 14 June 2001, 12:25 AM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

ah-ha

But my trusty Nissan 200sx Turbo Touring Coupe (to give it its full title) Company car
has frameless windows.

It also has headlight washers. This too is in-no-way-pointless technology because they are better at washing the screen (and bonnet) than the screen washers

The early quattro's talking dash must rate as one of the most useful things ever. Especially when you consider the things came with a full complement of warning lights as well.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:32 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

You guys want to see some really special, and very rare cars then check out the gallery on this site
Old 14 June 2001, 12:46 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If I am driving the Scooby - The Scooby always wins By a larger margin when large ***** and driving skill are part of the experience.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:47 AM
CB
Scooby Regular

Novark,

This is a fun site that over the years has provided myself and a lot of others with some very useful info. As well as this, there is also some banter. However, you do seem just to have come on here to have a go.

Personally, most modern cars have advantages in many area's for many owners.

The Impreza has and still is noted to be a great 'drivers' car with a number of skills. Its not perfect by any means neither are the people that drive them (who is?).

But chill.

The Calibra was a good car in its day, but was never going to win the hearts of a car fan any more than a C-Class Mercedes (I mention this as I have a company one that is totally opposite to my STI, however, for its purpose, it is perfect for my motorway miles as my STI is perfect for a weekend drive).

In essence, there are always fans of certain cars. Despite what you may say, you do not like Impreza's any more than I like Cosworths. There just not our thing.

There are even some people that drive Impreza's that are not my type of person. But come in, live and let live. You keep your Audi 4wheel thingy and we'll keep the Turbo nutter farmers car.

Happy driving;
CB
P.S.
I'm selling my STI is you would like a real mans car.............TTFN
Old 14 June 2001, 01:01 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd say he's a student who doesnt even own a car. The only Scoobs he's beaten are the one's he races in Gran Turismo

Notice he has'nt been back either
Old 14 June 2001, 09:28 AM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

Actually chaps I'm not a student.

My cars are:

2001 Nissan 200sx - Stock Company Car
1990 quattro Turbo 20v - 370 bhp.

I was only pointing out that comparing Subarus to cheap Vauxhalls, Fords etc etc is bit silly.

The Impreza may have started from very humble beginnings - but then so did the Integrale, Quattro, Cossie, Lancer, etc etc. The Impreza has benefitted from more revision, change, fettling & tinkering than most. Even the quattro only had four major changes in its ten year life.

Flame me if you like. What do I care? I've seen one other quattro in the last four weeks. Imprezas are on my company car list for chrissakes.

Old 14 June 2001, 09:34 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Novark N Goode:
<B>. Imprezas are on my company car list for chrissakes.

[/quote]

LOL

Old 14 June 2001, 09:47 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

The scooby is a competent car in most situations but so is the cosworth, Gti-R, Evo etc....but, this sounds like a dig, the average scooby owner does seem to have an elitest attitude about their car. On my thread about the Vectra V6 vs the uk turbo most were very negative about the V6 compared to the scooby. There was the odd, unbiased opinion from a few level headed scoob owners but most seem to have a deep seated fear of cars that 'might just' match them performance wise.

In reality most of the really quick cars are Pulsars and cosworths and reading the odd mag feature on club rolling road days the scoobs very rarely put out what the owners expect, often a lot less. I think Revs did a cossie vs scoob shootout last year where this happened.

but...i don't think its fair to say the scooby is only popular because of its WRC prowess, as the excat same can be said for the cosworth/ evo/ etc etc...and especially the audi!...as that was designed purely as a group b rally car in the 80's!!!
Old 14 June 2001, 09:51 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

I will put my cheap ford against yer...

Any time....
Old 14 June 2001, 09:56 AM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Question

Eh Novark, your point exactly is?

I can't speak for others but I have a Scoob because it is a car which can be used as my everyday car for commuting, but is also capable for track days and general fun.

Personally I don't put down other's choice of cars, which I believe was your original point, but you continued to make to make statements putting down my choice of car, (Impreza are on my company car list for christsakes).

Again, what point are you trying to make?
M

Old 14 June 2001, 10:08 AM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

Andy Suter summed it up.

There is an elitest attitude amongst most Subaru owners.

Yep, the Audi was designed purely to win Rallies, probably more so than the Impreza. Because of this, I don't bother racing Vectra's XR3is etc etc, let alone brag about beating them.

I was really digging at anyone - just provoking a debate.

Pity that the only one of you who took in a truly level headed way is a Vauxhall guy.

I'm not putting down anyones choice of car - the impreza is undeniably an impressive tool. But given the way most here put down anything that isn't a flat four - expect to get what you give.

The comment about the car list was pre-emptive to the inevitable flaming.
Old 14 June 2001, 10:21 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Novark N Goode:
<B>Andy Suter summed it up.

There is an elitest attitude amongst most Subaru owners.
[/quote]

Well *1ss off to an Audi forum if you dont like it What did you really expect from a forum called "scoobynet" - a group of VW Beetle owners?? Ive worked hard to afford my car - so why not slag off the Vauxhall / Pums boys ???

We can have a laugh you know - its only banter on a forum - not pistols at dawn.

I enjoy reading the threads from other car owners - and how the scooby owners flame them. And get told back that "my Nova blew away a P1 at 130mph"

Its all good spirited fun. Shame some people get all "testosteroned" and want to pick a fight!!

If you join "our" forum - expect some grief and have a laugh about it - its not serious forchrissake!!

DOH DOH DOH !!!!

So nice thread Mr Novark N Goode!!!

By the way - Quattro's are pants!!

Jza
Old 14 June 2001, 10:23 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

<B>
Pity that the only one of you who took in a truly level headed way is a Vauxhall guy.
[/quote]

err.... i take it back novark...youre just as up himself as everyone else....

whats wrong with being a vauxhal guy? and sorry buddy but if we are going down the 'exculsivity' route...ive seen more audi's widebodies (if thats what yours is) than lotus carltons.

the bloody guy sat next to me owns for christsake...

Old 14 June 2001, 10:33 AM
Novark N Goode
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Andy - nowt wrong with being a GM man. I've had 3 Manta's, 1 GSi3000, and 1 Calibra Turbo. (now I will get ripped to pieces for admitting that.)

Jza - I'm not being serious, its nice to talk cars with guys who don't think that a K&N and PECO give their XR2i an extra 4000bhp. But you own a 200bhp+ AWD turbocharged rally derived weapon, of course you're gonna beat a Nova. And quattros aren't that shoddy. True, an equivalent power scoobie will probably **** off into the distance due to twenty years difference in chassis and brake design. And in the quattros defence - its Audi that kicked all this off, way back in 1980.

Old 14 June 2001, 10:59 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I think that the three best rally makes are Suburu, Lancia and Audi. They all have a classic heritage.

I have an Audi S3, which I would suppose is the modern day UR quattro and it is a great car to drive, contrary to popular belief. It certainly has enough speed. I have left a few MY01 WRX's on the motorway, but then I get pissed on by P1's.

Old 14 June 2001, 11:11 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Jeez, the cheek of you non-believers!

Vauxhall-boy Andy asked for a comparison between his pitifully slow 145mph car, and the all-conquering, king-of-the-jungle Impreza. Everyone knows that the Impreza is the best car in the world at everything, so why did he even bother? His car is slower, less fast, and doesn’t accelerate as well. Did I mention that the Impreza is Q-U-I-C-K? Whaddya mean, there are other measures of performance?

And just cos his car costs less doesn’t make it any better – the Impreza’s like me, the more it drinks, the harder it is, right? And if I drink Stella rather than Carling, that means my babe-magnet motor and me have to trawl around for hours, looking for the most expensive super-unleaded we can find. No supermarket **** for my baby!

Then you come on with your crappy old Audi (OLD MEN’S CARS) and talk about how brilliant it is. So what if it won a rally or two in the last century, you don’t see many around now, do you, cos they’re not very good.

Bros

Old 14 June 2001, 11:27 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

nice. round and round we go....

if my vectra is so ****e compared to the scooby, why are there 150 odd replies on the thread i started debating the issue...and why do you feel you need to show us the light....we all know the impreza is the best car to own...ever...don't we?

bet i get more boot space than you. and i bet my brake discs are bigger than yours at 288mm.?
Old 14 June 2001, 11:38 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but I bet your car doesn't have a flap in the roof!

And my dad's bigger than your dad

Bros

Quick Reply: Scooby vs. Anything